At my breaking point

The rockett
The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
I think I might be at my breaking point. I am day 954, Shield Rank 89 and I have went 13/183 on LTs/CPs since Thanos came out. I went 2/58 alone on Thanos. All of my pulls have been on Lastest tokens. I have spent a fair amount of money on the game, kill pve eveny event (always top 5/10), kill pvp event event (always top 5/10). I have 33 champed 4* working on 34 and 35 now. 3 champed 5* (PHX/SS/OML), but this pull rate of 7% is killing me. It is truly unbelievable that this is happening. 13/183!!!!! If there is something in this game that will make me quit, it is this.

I know other people have had this type of streak as well, alliance mate is currently 0/38. Even when you email CS about it they say "better luck next time". It is a shame that progression in this game is built off of luck. I don't know the answers, all I know is my frustrations level is through the damn roof with this. Wish there was something built into the system to prevent a 13/183.

This game is now a 5* game. With out 5*, it gets a lot harder to play. Just use the same ones over and over and over and over and over again. Why? Cause I can't draw anything else. Then next thing you know, BW will be moved into classics once the next 5* comes out, which turns into a whole other issue for another thread. Anyway. Let's see how bad this will be when I get to 200 pulls.

Comments

• Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    The fact that there's not some sort of rolling odd boost for 5* covers is ridiculous.

Those odds on that long of a streak when it comes to the only meaningful way to progress is a great way to lose long-time customers**. All it would do is bring people closer to the posted odds, and take a little sting out of getting the short end of the stick.

That it's been this long, and they haven't done anything to address the outliers is terrible.

**cf. players
  • drayviper32
    drayviper32 Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    It's not a 5* game unless you make it that way. I will always stay in 3* and 4* land. More fun for me. I have 36 champed 4* characters. I only put iso into 1 5* character. The rest are trophies since I'll never fully cover them or care to. I do great in PvP and PVE. Quitting a game because of not getting 5* pulls is ridiculous. Just like playing the lottery. But atleast getting some stuff.
  • padei_panda
    padei_panda Posts: 55 Match Maker
    What is your overall rate?

Certainly I feel for you.
    Both my hoard of 500 CPs yielded a drop rate of 7% each when I pulled them in Nov and Dec.
    The LTs pulls were about 20% but there were only 20 of them which I managed to gather for both Nov/Dec.
    So the overall result was disappointing but I just directed my attention to some else to make me happy, and also hope that next pulls will be better. That direction was figuring out how to gain 660k ISO to champ a further 2 4* so I do not have to sell their dupes. I am looking at the 150 taco tokens in both Sweet and Savory...

So I have decided to stop hoarding CP and open them as I reach 20.
    This has actually turned out to be good as I have caught up my rate to be on par now.

If the hoarding mojo is not working for you, try something different.
    Good luck OP.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    It's not a 5* game unless you make it that way. I will always stay in 3* and 4* land. More fun for me. I have 36 champed 4* characters. I only put iso into 1 5* character. The rest are trophies since I'll never fully cover them or care to. I do great in PvP and PVE. Quitting a game because of not getting 5* pulls is ridiculous. Just like playing the lottery. But atleast getting some stuff.

I don't have that many champed 4s, but I'm following the same strategy. It's not worth it trying to enter 5* land. icon_lol.gif

For pvp, if I like the 3* cover better than the 4* cover, I would join rank 6 instead. It's much easier than facing guys w/ champed 5s, plus I have a shot (if I'm lucky) at getting 3 covers from placement. icon_cool.gif
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    You need more like 300 pulls. Then you'll know if you have bad luck or not. I believe 300 pulls is the average required to champ a 5*
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2017
    Yeah, that pull rate sucks. No doubt. You are definitely on the far left side of the bell curve, which can't feel fun.

But are you sure that it's your bad luck that's the problem? Please, here me out...

You got half the 5* covers that the average person would have gotten. But would 27 covers have made you happy? Even 27 covers wouldn't have guaranteed a fully covered 5*. You'd likely be in a similar position to where you are now --- watching your chances of gaining a fully covered 5* drift out of Latest Legendary and into the Classics black hole.

Isn't the problem that the drop rate on 5*s is just too damn low? That Classics are too diluted to even consider?

MPQ (like most freemium games) is trying to find your absolute highest spending limit. Covers get rarer and rarer with each tier, enticing you to spend more, until you hit your breaking point. I think you finally hit your breaking point because of the way the game is designed. Your luck is just adding insult to injury.

Take a break. Come back when there are 20 new characters to interest you and 6*s are the new impossible tier. Repeat as needed.

However, If you really feel that a 15% pull rate would make you happy, then by all means, keep fighting the good fight. With enough pulls, you'll get your covers.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    howard_icon.pngPlease do not attack other users. This is a verbal warning to everyone in the thread. Please don't make me get all official like. howard_icon.png
  • TimGunn
    TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    sounds like you are already winning with those scores man!!!

in marvel avengers alliance, they had a hard stop on some of the luck pulls. It was basically you needed 8 unique covers:
    -- your first try, you'd guarantee to get a unique cover,
    -- then you'd have a 50/50 shot at pulling a unique cover or a duplicate cover, but if you pulled the duplicate, the next cover was guaranteed to be the unique cover
    -- and so forth, until you got to the last cover where you had 1/8 chance of pulling unique, but were guaranteed of getting unique cover on 8th pull in that round

So extremely lucky case would be 8 pulls to get 8 unique covers and extremely unlucky would be 36 pulls to get 8 unique covers. And most people ended up needing 16-19 pulls to get 8 unique covers.

But there was an endpoint.

So I'd be in favor of something like that. Open 9 legends tokens without getting a 5* card, and the 10th token opened is guaranteed to be a 5* card. Could pull earlier, but if you don't, there is a fail-safe/guarantee on 10th. Heck, make it guaranteed on the 15th or the 20th. That would be better than I've done before. I've gone 27 pulls in a row without pulling one before.
  • blargrx
    blargrx Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    dang, sorry to hear about your bad luck on pulls.

this is part of the reason i'm so hesitant about trying to jump into 5* land. RNGesus hates me and knowing my luck, even with 300 pulls, i probably still wont cover a 5* from LL icon_e_surprised.gif

i know its no consolation but at least you've got 3x 5 champed already, your doing better than alot of other players
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah it sucks just depending on RNG and still no news about SCL9-SCL10. It looks like Devs will introduce SCL10 when a lot of people will already have 6-7 or more 5s already maxed, so already too late to help in the transition (I consider having 6 or more Xs as the moment you can consider to have finished the transition to the X layer of play).

Not long ago I had terrible luck with latest, but my luck with classic was ok, a bit better than advertised. On recent months things have changed, my latest pulls are much better but my classic are much worse, soooo great? (yeah it is, it is much better right now to be lucky in latest than in classic). The problem is that my average of both is under 15% (close to 12), so I am under the advertised ratio, and I find it hard to believe I will get to 15% soon (the more tokens I open the farthest I am from the advertised 15%), I doubt I will ever be there.

All the times I have thought of stopping playing the game lately have been after very bad streaks. Devs really need to address this problem. I don't think they should raise the ratios, but they need to add something that helps you when you have pulled some tokens and you have not pulled any 5.

Something like: Ratio for 5 = 15% + max(('number of pulls without 5' - 8) * 5%, 0).

This would guarantee that you will get a 5 after 25 pulls, but after 15 your ratio would already be 50%, so around those pulls you would already have pulled one most probably.
  • The rockett
    I lost all my pull data when my Line account froze and had to delete almost everything. I did not have this on an excel sheet like others do. I have ally mates that have a 460+ BW/BB with half the pulls I do. While I am excited for them that they are pulling above the rate, it sucks to look at my rate and know that once BW moves from Latest, she will never be used or covered. Well unless they do something about the Classics, which again is a topic for another thread. It is very disheartening when you hoard for a new character to be able to use someone different and then you get nothing. 7% when it is posted, and they remind you of this when you send a ticket in, 15%. Again I don't have the answers, just curious who else is in this boat.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm slightly over the curve (my 5 Stars total 32 Covers out of about 200 LT since I started in July)

Working as intended is easier to say when your not the one getting the **** pull rate but I said it anyways

I pulled one Thanos Cover right after he moved to Legendary but none in 8 pulls of his special token

RNG sucks, I played Mass Effect 3 and know from experience
  • I'm at exactly the same roster position as you are. 4* tier almost fully champed, 3 champed 5* and no reliable way to improve my roster due to pull rates, classic pool dillution and being punished in PvE for having a great roster. Did the hoarding thing for Latest Legends until Thanos came out, got 6 covers out a gazillion LT and CP's. And even if I would have a better pull rate it still would mean 'only' a 450 5* which isn't a big improvement of the few 460 I already have.
    But because it makes no sense to pull Classics once the 5* moves out of the Latest pool, it will remain at that level forever. And I'm not able to earn enough LT and CP to get a 5* way passed 450 in the time it's in the LL pool. So what is the point to continue on this road?

So after many times considering it, I finally made the only right decision and that is to pull the plug. I'm now in our old folks MPQ retirement home alliance. And unless D3 makes some serious changes to the game I won't return.
  • The rockett
    Update:
    0/4
    13/187 since Thanos.
  • I'm in the same boat. I've been writing post after post, begging for some way to progress. 0.56% chance of me finishing my OML, BSS and Phoenix. I've always been a little behind the head of the pack, and thought one day I'd be able to have two champed 5* characters, but that's NEVER going to happen with the stats getting worse and worse for classic packs, and NO way of swapping covers. It's rubbish. I loved this game to death, but what's the point if after 4 seasons you haven't progressed at all.

i won't progress to latest legends until I can finish at least ONE of my 3 nearly fully covered classics. What is the point to have a nearly fully covered latest, only for it to end up in classics and NEVER able to champ them. What ****.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can't agree more Rockett. I got "lucky" to get one 5*, but I've been complaining since they introduced that 5* (JG) that it didn't matter - many got lucky early on and got the "only character that mattered" (until more recently), OML.

My OML lingers at 3/2/3, one of those from a daily draw. I've drawn tons of classics, including when OML was a 5% chance. Ever since, the chance of getting him has dropped and dropped and dropped....to being unlikely to impossible.

D3: HOW ARE PEOPLE SUPPOSED TO PROGRESS?

RNG-only progression is just the worst. More and more vets leaving faster than they ever have before - sick of being unable to get further into the game, and unable to even compete anymore with those who pay (a lot) or those who get (very) lucky.
  • The rockett
    Update as of 01/15/17 8:28AM EST

13/191 Since Thanos release

This is getting out of hand.
  • RhodeyWM
    RhodeyWM Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Speaking of the LT pull rate, is there anyone here, or does anyone even know of anyone who is close to the 15.2% pull rate for legendary characters. My current pool rate based on my record starting as of a few weeks ago is three out of 29. The calculates to 10.34%. I know that this small sample size does not constitute sufficient evidence to say that the pull rates are off. But the very reason I started recording my pull rates was because it seemed like I was almost never getting a legendary character. As I've perused the forums here, it seems like the pull rates are universally low. I've never seen a case where someone has been getting a 20%+ pull rate to make up for all of the 10% - 12% pull rates. I even saw a complaint on the BBB site where someone made a report and received compensation for low pull rates.

Is there any indication that D3's reported pull rates are correct?
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    So what are you going to do? Pretend that, you're not addicted and stop playing?
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    I remember someone saying before that the game keeps track of your LT pulls. This was because someone had complained to CS of an unluckily low 5* pull rate and received a cover as compensation. Am I imagining that happened?