Stick with Classic Legends or switch to Latest?

Options
Quebbster
Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2017 in Roster and Level Help
OK, so I am a junior fivestar player. I have Phoenix and OML champed and I currently have 12 covers for Silver Surfer (2/4/5) and Spiderman (4/4/4). The rest of my fivestar roster is pretty meager though - Captain America is 4/0/2, Hulk is 3/1/1, Green Goblin is 0/3/1 (and I'm getting another purple in the resupply tomorrow), Iron Man is 0/0/3, Black Bolt is 2/1/0, and Black Widow and Thanos are both 0/0/1. I do not have Dr Strange at all (mostly because I was on a forced break when he was released).
So far I have been buying Classic Legends whenever I have had the CP figuring I could max Silver Surfer and/or Spider-man whenever i got a thirteenth cover. Today I realized maxing a third fivestar may affect my PvP matchmaking and match me with more people with more advanced fivestar rosters, and since Surfer and Spidey aren't the strongest fivestars they may not be worth that. I am wondering if it would be a good idea to stockpile for a while and go big for Thanos eventually - I am thinking I can stockpile my CP and Latest Legends tokens until Thanos is about to leave Latest Legends and then cash in as much as possible. I'd be missing out on Black Widow and Strange, but I am prepared to make that sacrifice I think.
When I stockpiled my CP this summer I believe I pulled in around 200 CP a week. Add in Latest Legends from DDQ Crashes and miscellaneous vaults and champion levels and I think I can manage 10 pulls for each week I do this. The question is if that would be enough to be worthwhile...
Suggestions? Opinions?

Comments

• TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'd hoard for a latests trio once you get to 250-300 pulls saved up. I'd be tempted to direct buy the bssm cover and I might put off the ss cover until later. I don't think it would be game changing. with the original 2 done, in a few months (more like 5-6) you could add 3 to that and have a broad roster of 5 champed 5s, 6 if you add bssm. and your SS is still usable, if not champed. I'm in the 220s on pulls on my way to 300, so that's the route I've chosen and I don't even have one to 13 covers yet. ss at 11 and oml will be at 11 in a few weeks after daily resupply black hits. I'm considering direct buying OML to use with thanos if they don't solve the dupe problem before then.

edit: I've been earning anywhere from 1.5 to 1.9 latest pulls (tokens + cp) per day. you have the full roster of 3s and likely 4s done. if you're hitting 1200 and making pve progressions you should be doing very well.
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    12 or 11 for surfer? 2/4/5 is 11.

Topic in general is covering this right now if you haven't checked
  • Quebbster
    Options
    12 or 11 for surfer? 2/4/5 is 11.

Topic in general is covering this right now if you haven't checked
    Must have mistyped, he's 3/4/5. I saw the thread in General, I don't think it was there when I posted this.
  • Quebbster
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    I'd hoard for a latests trio once you get to 250-300 pulls saved up. I'd be tempted to direct buy the bssm cover and I might put off the ss cover until later. I don't think it would be game changing. with the original 2 done, in a few months (more like 5-6) you could add 3 to that and have a broad roster of 5 champed 5s, 6 if you add bssm. and your SS is still usable, if not champed. I'm in the 220s on pulls on my way to 300, so that's the route I've chosen and I don't even have one to 13 covers yet. ss at 11 and oml will be at 11 in a few weeks after daily resupply black hits. I'm considering direct buying OML to use with thanos if they don't solve the dupe problem before then.

edit: I've been earning anywhere from 1.5 to 1.9 latest pulls (tokens + cp) per day. you have the full roster of 3s and likely 4s done. if you're hitting 1200 and making pve progressions you should be doing very well.
    The dupe problem is not a huge problem for me - any Spiderman cover I get would be usable after all, and only Surfer black is unusable. Once they are champed, they bring in champion level rewards too, which is the main draw of the Classic route. I think I'll try saving up for a while though and see where it gets me though.
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I find myself spending on classics still. I want those characters, even if the odds suck.
  • Copps
    Copps Posts: 333 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    In your shoes I'd probably keep pulling classics until I pulled the spidey cover since you can use any cover for him. Maybe surfer as well. Then horde for latest or maybe they will have fixed dilution by then who knows.
  • Quebbster
    Options
    Copps wrote:
    In your shoes I'd probably keep pulling classics until I pulled the spidey cover since you can use any cover for him. Maybe surfer as well. Then horde for latest or maybe they will have fixed dilution by then who knows.
    The thing is I am uncertain how much use I'd have for a maxed Spiderman or Silver Surfer. I know I personally get happy every time I find a Silver Surfer in PvP instead of the usual OML/Phoenix matchups. I try to avoid Spiderman when I can, but that's mostly because his passive means the matches takes much longer without any strike tiles. I can imagine that someone with a maxed Black Bolt, Dr Strange or Thanos wouldn't be the least bit worried about fighting Spiderman. I would like to finish them at some Point, of course, but right now it might be wiser to save for a Latest blowout and get someone else (hopefully Thanos icon_e_smile.gif) maxed down the line.
    I have managed to get 130 CP and one Latest Legends token saved up so far (not bad for Three Days!), so the stockpile is off to a good start.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Quebbster wrote:
    I can imagine that someone with a maxed Black Bolt, Dr Strange or Thanos wouldn't be the least bit worried about fighting Spiderman.
    This.

Spidey is still good, but the most annoying part about him is that he goes invis for a turn before I can go back to grilling him with Bolt's passive.
    As a Bonus, bring Natasha and watch her stun someone in return.

I have zero motivation to pull classics until they fix the dilution problem.

Champed Bolt, Natasha and Strange (as soon as I get my covers from CS), 5 covers on Thanos.
    Switching to Latest with LTs and CP two months ago was the best decision I made concerning 5s.
  • Quebbster
    Options
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:
    I can imagine that someone with a maxed Black Bolt, Dr Strange or Thanos wouldn't be the least bit worried about fighting Spiderman.
    This.

Spidey is still good, but the most annoying part about him is that he goes invis for a turn before I can go back to grilling him with Bolt's passive.
    As a Bonus, bring Natasha and watch her stun someone in return.

I have zero motivation to pull classics until they fix the dilution problem.

Champed Bolt, Natasha and Strange (as soon as I get my covers from CS), 5 covers on Thanos.
    Switching to Latest with LTs and CP two months ago was the best decision I made concerning 5s.
    Yeah, I'm really just trying to Catch up after my two-month forced break here. I figure it's too late to get a useable Widow or Strange Before they hit Classics, but Thanos may be salvageable with a Little luck and lots of patience. I just hope the coming fivestars are as useful as Widow and Strange.
  • shwebsi
    shwebsi Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'm having the same issue right now.. I have a champed SS and PHX and have the following:

Bolt: 3/4/4
    OML: 5/3/1
    BSS: 5/2/1
    Cap: 1/5/2
    Banner: 1/1/4
    IM46: 3/0/2
    GG: 1/2/1

BW: 1/3/2
    Strange: 1/3/1
    Thanos: 0/1/1

I know the smart thing to do is to hoard a **** of CP and LT and get the latest 5*'s, but some of those classics feel soooooo close that I hate to leave them ignored. Who knows when they'll make them easier to come by.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    shwebsi wrote:
    I'm having the same issue right now.. I have a champed SS and PHX and have the following:

I know the smart thing to do is to hoard a tinykitty of CP and LT and get the latest 5*'s, but some of those classics feel soooooo close that I hate to leave them ignored. Who knows when they'll make them easier to come by.

You are close to championing Bolt and only have 3 covers that you might need to sell. I would say keep pulling from Classics in hope to get Bolt. When he is done reconsider your strategy. See how far you are from another classic champion and how many covers could go to waste. Meanwhile if you keep developing 4* champions the classical pulls will net more rewards from them (including LT tokens).
  • Quebbster
    Options
    Magic wrote:
    shwebsi wrote:

I know the smart thing to do is to hoard a tinykitty of CP and LT and get the latest 5*'s, but some of those classics feel soooooo close that I hate to leave them ignored. Who knows when they'll make them easier to come by.

You are close to championing Bolt and only have 3 covers that you might need to sell. I would say keep pulling from Classics in hope to get Bolt. When he is done reconsider your strategy. See how far you are from another classic champion and how many covers could go to waste. Meanwhile if you keep developing 4* champions the classical pulls will net more rewards from them (including LT tokens).
    I agree. If I had more than a handful of Bolt covers Classic Legends would be a lot more appealing.
  • Quebbster
    Options
    Status report: After saving for Three weeks my stockpile is up to almost 700 CP and 18 Latest Legends tokens. I Think I should be able to land somewhere in the vicinity of 250 Latest Legends pulls Before Thanos leaves the pool - not as much as I'd like, but it should still give me a fair chance to land some decently covered fivestar.
    It remains to be seen if Black Panther will be good though. Cautiously optimistic...
  • JablesMc
    JablesMc Posts: 235 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I find myself spending on classics still. I want those characters, even if the odds suck.

I finally got fed up with RNG screwing me over, and started hoarding CP and LT yesterday. So far I have a measly 50 CP(more than I've had in a while), and am very *fidgety* to get some well covered 5*'s.

Here's hoping...
  • Quebbster
    Options
    Another update: At the cusp of Hawkeye's release, I am up to 120 pulls. I seriously doubt I'll be able to double my stash Before Thanos leaves Latest Legends. I do like the looks of Hawkeye though,so it might not be a horrible option to wait a Little while longer and let Thanos and possibly Panther leave Latest Legends Before cracking the hoard.
    I suppose I can make up my mind when the next fivestar is previewed though...
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I am not sure about Panther but Hawkeye with super cheap powers seems very interesting. If you add Thanos as favorite you might get a cover or two that way while pulling the stash. But you still have couple of months to make that decision.
  • Quebbster
    Options
    Magic wrote:
    I am not sure about Panther but Hawkeye with super cheap powers seems very interesting. If you add Thanos as favorite you might get a cover or two that way while pulling the stash. But you still have couple of months to make that decision.
    Yeah, but I can probably only Count on two bonus fivestar covers even if I open a stash of 300 Latest Legends, and my Thanos only has a single green cover, so it won't help me a lot. I do like the new policy where the fivestar isn't added to the tokens for two weeks after their introduction though, gives me more time to make an informed decision.
  • Quebbster
    Options
    As an update, I hit 250 Latest Legends pulls last night. :) I am planning to open them next weekend when Cloak and Dagger have entered the token pool and Thanos is still in Latest Legends. That should give me enough time to utilize the CS cover swap feature for Thanos if needed.
    Now I need to decide if I want to have just Thanos as a fivestar favorite or if I should use this opportunity to get a thirteenth cover for my 4/4/4 BSSM...