The Worst of the Worst

Options
Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2017 in MPQ Character Discussion
Who are the characters you never use? That you avoid using? That you won't even roster? Maybe it's because they're not very good. Maybe its because you don't like the character in the comics. Maybe it's because their lengthy animations in-game drive you bananas. There are no right or wrong answers here.... just give us your dregs.

Here are mine:

star.pngicon_venom.png
Maybe it's because of how far he fell after his nerf, but I really dislike Venom. The sound he makes during the stun animation is grating, like fingernails on the chalkboard. Plus, there's nothing he does that Spider-man doesn't do as well or better.

star.pngstar.pngicon_storm.png
I don't like squishy characters and it's hard to find anyone squishier than Storm (among any of her variants). Her yellow irritates me when I fight against her, like an annoying gnat, and it annoys me when she's on my team, because of how ineffective it is compared to days of yore. Yeah, her blue is da bomb, but she tanks too many colors and is usually half dead by the time I have enough AP to fire it off. I don't like Storm.

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_sentry.png
I don't dislike Sentry because of his total in-game suckage, I dislike Sentry because he's a stupid character. I didn't like the lame 'hoax' of him being some long-forgotten undiscovered creation of Stan Lee and I haven't liked anything about him since. Even his costume bothers me. Well, I guess I don't like his total in-game suckage either. This was the last 3* I champed before Strange and Thanos came along and I've never used him once outside of a required PVE node; even in those I've certainly never used any of his powers.

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_hulkcho.png
There are actually quite a few 4* characters I don't care for, but Totally Awesome Hulk will forever have a place on my bench. Why? Because he's not totally awesome, he's totally lame. His cover is awful, his story is drivel, and his shorts look like an escapee from the early 90s. For some reason, whenever I see Cho I'm reminded of Poochy from the Simpsons - a corporate lame-o who's 'totally rad and in your face'.

Comments

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well, I don't refuse to roster anyone except 1* characters, because champ rewards are much gud, but:

star.pngicon_venom.png

He's just rubbish and always has been, even more so since they nerfed his stun (although I did enjoy that for PVE reasons). And I hate that one of my favorite characters in the comics sucks so bad in the game.

star.pngstar.pngicon_bullseye.png

HATE. SO MUCH HATE. Between all the nightmares he caused in PVE in my 2-3 star days and the fact that his abilities cost all of the AP I could not possibly detest a character more. Plus that ****-eating grin he always has on his face. UGH.

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_loki.png

I'm not really sure why I dislike Loki so much. He's potentially great in PVE and not as squishy as most heavy AP stealers, but... I dunno. I've just never liked using him. Also, his PVP drags because of the crazy CD spam. He was like, 3rd-to-last when I was champing 3*s, and the only reason he wasn't last-last was because I got 5 covers at once for him.

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_venom.png (Eddie version)

Oh look, it's Venom again! His passive is pointless garbage. His green is worthless in 90% of matches. His yellow does OK damage, but the extra effect on it is pointless so it might as well just be a beefed-up IM35 red. And, again, they took one of my favorites and made him garbage. Blech.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    icon_juggernaut.png is regarded as one of the best 1-stars, but only because he beats the daily level 10 node fast. Besides his cheap tile destruction his utility stops at the 1-star tier, and a stupid character to boot. Plus 'He literally cannot be stopped' is a terrible base to start from that is impossible to justify without taking the canon somewhere dumb... Glad they got rid of the character blocking so I can happily hang onto my Superior Spider-Man and no other 1-stars. icon_venom.png gets a nod because his powers are so weak he might not qualify for the zero-star tier.

icon_humantorch.png deserves my vote for both 2- and 3-star tiers, probably. I just think he sucks. He does good damage and is pretty quick to get going but it doesn't matter, I have no interest in using him; I don't keep him as a 2 star and he's one of my lowest-level 3's with no intention to champ him. Maybe because he always dies? Or just that there are more exciting things to do with red and black and green AP.

Other three-stars I never, ever use are icon_colossus_new.png , icon_doctordoom.png , icon_sentry.png and icon_mystique.png . Also icon_squirrelgirl.png , but I might use her more if she wasn't stuck at level 40.

icon_mrfantastic.png is King Poo of the 4-star tier. The sad thing is I really WANT to use him--his massive passive healing offers hints of shenanigans I can never get to work, and Imaginaut is mechanically a fun power that does about 1/10th the damage it should. He should definitely be the next of D3's reworks. Thanks to the recent buffs pretty much every other 4 is middling to good with some reason to play them (e.g. Wasp's pretty weak but her powers are at least fun to screw around with).

icon_wolverine.png , OK who am I kidding I abuse Logan's healing like everyone else, but it's really a shame they made this guy simultaneously the most desirable 5 for middle-tier players, and the least usable or dangerous one for high tiers. I don't hate him and I'll use him occasionally but you know it's a bad sign when I often throw in a boosted 3-star instead of 360 OML.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    star.pngicon_venom.png

After the nerf he is quite lame

star.pngstar.pngicon_bullseye.png

Not very good.

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_colossus_new.png

This one is probably the worst 3 of all. There are a couple more that come to my mind, but he is probably the worse. Useless yellow, and red and black are too expensive. A pity because I love the character icon_e_sad.gif

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_venom.png (Eddie version) or icon_mrfantastic.png

I have a hard time deciding which is worse. Reed is probably worse, but at least he has some team combinations where he works. Venom has a very nice yellow and ... that's it. Green is lame, and black is probably the most useless power in the whole game.

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_hulk.png

After Cap's buff, we have at long last a tier with no **** tier!!! There are some 5s that are better than other, but all have their uses. But if I have to chose one as the worst then I 'll chose Banner. He has a very interesting mechanic, the Hulk transformation is great, but his blue and black as Banner are lame. And Hulk powers are just meh. As someone else pointed out, if he was always in front, his usefulness would augment exponentially!
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    1* Yelena - easy pickings there, but it takes a year for her to powers to do something, and it isn't even that good when she does it. At least Venom has a cheap stun.

2* - Moonstone. Another easy one. I've been cycling through all the characters through farming, and have yet to find a spot where she'd be valuable.

3* - Spidey and Falcon were the last two I champed, but gonna go off board here and choose Gamora. She has some nice abilities, I guess, but I have never used her voluntarily. Irrational hate for the win.

4* - Wasp. Don't understand her, don't particularly see any use for her. Probably clouded that I've pulled eleventy billion blues of hers, but yeah, no. She'll be one of the last I'll champ, if not last.

5* - n/a. Don't have enough to qualify. Instinct says Banner will win this title now that Cap got a buff, but have no idea about the ones I don't have and won't get any time soon.
  • therightwaye
    therightwaye Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    star.pngicon_hawkeye.png
    Only 2 powers. While deciding on the worse, I couldn't help but think about how limited they were as being part of my team or playing against. Hawkeye does nothing for my team. And playing against him doesn't add anything fun and is easily dismissed. I hate icon_juggernaut.png and icon_venom.png to play against because regardless of how little I worry about not being able to win a match against them, they still do some damage at the highest levels meaning eventually I'll need to switch up or use a health pack.

star.pngstar.pngicon_ms_marvel.png
    I had to look her up because I couldn't remember her powers because I never use her. Make more team-up tiles, no thank you. She's probably fine but just never has a place on my team.

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngThanos_Icon.png
    Even after his correction do I really want my team to suffer every time I take down an enemy team member? Purple and Green powers do not serve my needs well. At least my other dislikes, such as icon_ragnarok.pngicon_spiderman.pngicon_squirrelgirl.pngicon_sentry.png don't do automatic damage to my team.

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_mrfantastic.png
    Clearly the worse 4*. Doesn't do adequate damage. Doesn't support. His one fun and interesting power is expensive and under-powered. His teammate synergy isn't worthwhile. His powers don't feel like a real representation of the comic character. His Blue and Black powers are better with almost any other character selection.

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_hulk.png
    Obviously this was icon_captainamerica.png before the update. Hulk is actually my favorite of the 5* and my highest level character. I just can't seem to ever play him like I want him to play. Probably because he is constantly taking a brunt of the damage. And because I have none of his blue power.
  • dokiy
    dokiy Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Options
    1 star.png I don't use anyone outside of Juggs. Because, why would I?

2 star.pngicon_captainamerica.png Worthless damage at the 2 star level. Plus I had a great run of 3 star Cap covers at the time I was getting 2 star Cap, so I never used him.

3 star.pngicon_sentry.png is the easy answer. I have mine at 13 covers and level 94. I see no reason to put any more ISO into him. icon_ragnarok.pngicon_psylocke.pngicon_doctoroctopus.pngicon_vision.png I've never bothered to roster when I was going through 2-3 star transition.

4 star.png I (luckily?) pulled a bunch of Mr. F covers, so I champed him, but never use him. icon_redface.gif I have lots of covers in Spider-Gwen and Venom Brock, but I don't see me using them much because they suck.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    really surprised to see some of these make the worst of the worst lists. cstorm and loki? man, tough crowd. and torchy is one I like lol.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    really surprised to see some of these make the worst of the worst lists. cstorm and loki? man, tough crowd. and torchy is one I like lol.

Squirrel is so much better than being given credit. Her green is pretty great, especially if you can throw a strike tile user in there with it. AP generation every turn, cascade creation, bulk damage at the end. Can make matches quite quick.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:

In my defense, I did acknowledge that Loki is good and I just personally don't like the way he plays.
  • Hyposphere6234
    Hyposphere6234 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    Options
    1 star.png This is a hard one for me as there's only two one stars I've sold for roster space. Those two were Yelena and Hawkeye. I think that Hawkeye's powers are more useful for their price but never see him used in PVE encounters. Yelena I encounter more and when they do fire are can disrupt things completely.

2 star.png The most least used character I use in two star land is Cap. Underwhelming on all levels. Darken also holds a similar spot for similar reasons.

3 star.png I'm still in 3* to 4* transition so I'll stop at this level. I see a lot of hate for Sentry but his powers do pack a punch. My least used character is Ragnarok, he's like Juggernauts kid brother. If his green did double the damage to the enemy team and his blue healed the whole of your own team then he'd probably be more viable. Ragnarok needs a serious revamp as every one of his powers have been made redundant by the 3*s who followed him.
  • fnedude
    fnedude Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Really 4* Hulk?

He's not BAD, his Blue will do consistant damage when it activates (like against Hood in the last PvE event).

This week w/ TAHulk+RHulk+Miles is pretty vicious.

Sure maybe in competitive PvP he's not all that great, but when he's boosted, watch out.

Why did you leave 4* icon_spidergwen.png out? Man comparing her to Miles, Miles is hands down so much better.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    fnedude wrote:
    Really 4* Hulk?
    I didn't say he was a bad character. I said I didn't like him.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    1*: Juggernaut is the only one I have so...

2*: Probably Moonstone. I used to have her and it dawned on my one day that I'm just wasting roster space on a character I never use. So I sold her. Sucks when she's essential in PvE but whatever.

3* Ragnorok. I constantly forget I even have him until his DDQ essential.

4* Mr Fantastic. I have 10 covers for him (4/4/2) and never use him. He seriously needs a rework.

5* None of mine are leveled or covered nearly enough for me to choose.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jarvind wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:

In my defense, I did acknowledge that Loki is good and I just personally don't like the way he plays.

I too utterly despise loki, until I moved into the 4* tier and started seeing Rulk so often loki was my most hated character because I get sick and tired of seeing him spam his shuffle.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jarvind wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:

I too utterly despise loki, until I moved into the 4* tier and started seeing Rulk so often loki was my most hated character because I get sick and tired of seeing him spam his shuffle.

Rhulk is specially annoying because if you use 5s you trigger his red all the time. And he has a ton of life, Loki is much easier to kill. So yeah, I agree with you.

Interestingly enough, high level 450+ Rhulk are much easier to fight because 5s don't trigger his red anymore... (even though his green is really painful at those levels)
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Worst to Use:

star.pngicon_hawkeye.png : I hated using him in prologue. Not because of his powers, I actually liked his powers especially against Goons but his low health was horrendous. Juggernaut was a freaking nightmare when you first start playing and Hawkeye was always a victim. Everytime I see him in PVP seeds I feel bad killing him with a match-3.

star.pngstar.pngicon_ms_marvel.png : I agree with the above on CStorm.. the low health and the fact she tanks green sucks but ultimately I never use Ms. Marvel. Perhaps it was because by the time I finished building her I already had a near covered Captain Marvel so her red was not needed. Her black drains random AP.. that is usually what I need to use (even more annoying when she drains her own red or yellow). This leaves her yellow.. I used to use her with 2* Hawkeye for the 5-match but obviously MNMags is better so I eventually paired her with CMags for the Yellow to create T/Us then CMags uses red to remove it for high damage but it's a very slow combo and it isn't helpful against the highly scaled high health enemies we see today.

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_colossus_new.png : Even when I want to use him I can never find a decent team to pair him with after all these years. His red is decent but he needs to tank so he's constantly infront unless I use his yellow, otherwise the damage is laughable. His yellow has been overshadowed since Cage's release and his Black well.. there's not enough characters with really high AP powers to throw as there's a chance a low AP ability will trigger instead (SW's green). His moveset fits the character perfectly but he definitely needs a rebalance.

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_devildino.png : Yes he's a "trophy" but there's nothing to brag about. He should be an awesome limited character to show off but instead he's sat on my roster waiting to be used for Anniversary each year. His rebalance was OK at best but still not nearly enough to start using regularly. His high health has been surpassed and his moves are weak. He used to be threatening but now I laugh when he's in PVE. Everyday I want to sell him but I know I will regret it when Anniversary comes.

Worst to Face:

star.pngicon_yelena.png : I know I'll get laughed at as obviously Juggs is the most annoying to face and he is but because I always leave Yelena last to kill she always seems to pull her high-cost AP moves out of her ****. I normally use a special tile generator and her black is freaking annoying!! Especially if I am using Steve Rogers.. she just takes his CD's away. Her purple is super high costed but she always seems to use it just as I am about to kill her.. even as a T/U.. she appears and steal my ****!!

star.pngstar.pngicon_bullseye_old.png / icon_daken.png : This is a tie.. especially when they are paired together in PVE. Bullseye is very easy to handle alone so he's normally left for last but his protect tiles lower my tile damage to zero so my matches drag. Add in Daken who just heals every turn and it's a very annoying match. Daken always uses his blue.. feels like evert turn! It's much easier today then it was two years ago but they are still irritating.

star.pngstar.pngstar.png : icon_blackpanther.png : I have to target him first.. it's always been this way. His yellow is strong and I hate getting slashed in the face... that's all.

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_starlord.png : I used to laugh at Starlord, now he laughs at me as I am getting punched in the face lol
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    Jarvind wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:

Rhulk is specially annoying because if you use 5s you trigger his red all the time. And he has a ton of life, Loki is much easier to kill. So yeah, I agree with you.

Interestingly enough, high level 450+ Rhulk are much easier to fight because 5s don't trigger his red anymore... (even though his green is really painful at those levels)

I think I would honestly have nightmares about a level 450 Rulk. I genuinely hate him even after I champed him I still hate him. He's probably the only character I skip in my mmr anyone else ill fight...Rulk I will skip harder than a boxer trying to make weight
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 692 Critical Contributor
    Options
    star.png Venom. Two bad powers and he only goes to level 40.
    star.pngstar.png Steve. His stun is OK but his red doesn't do enough damage and yellow is too expensive.
    star.pngstar.pngstar.png Vision. People like his match damage booster, but once you get a 5* cover why bother with him? Plus, the AI still wastes AP when using him.
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png Devil Dino is completely outclassed by other 4*s. If you limit these questions to regular characters, Mr. F is garbage.
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png Hulk, although he's fun to play around with, and he just got a good partner with 4* Carol.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    icon_drax.png super slow to build powers, purpleflag.png is weak, cd is easily destroyed AND it ends your turn???

icon_carnage.png I like to keep my healthpacks, not use 3 of them every match. I used to team him up with OML in PVP, but now no one's scared of him any more, even when he's boosted.

icon_psylocke.png powers are so weak
  • bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    star.pngicon_yelena.png - Expensive powers and no real affinity for her from the comics. icon_venom.png might actually be worse, but at least I like the character.
    star.pngstar.pngicon_captainamerica.png - The ridiculously low damage on red enrages me.
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_vision.png - I know he's good in some situations, but it annoys me trying to get him to tank, and there are plenty of better characters that use his colors. Plus he wastes AP on defense.
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngwasp_icon.png - I really want to like her, but her powers just don't flow very well, and she has low health. It's hard to fit her into a team, even in her intended support role. I think it's particularly disappointing because she was released right after three characters I like using - icon_katebishop.png , icon_moonknight.png , icon_peggycarter.png