Old NOP

Options
bk1234
bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Is anyone else dying to play this now that we have a new card set, a couple new PW and more have cycled through the vault?

It's so much fun to put our best decks forward and fight it out-- with nothing else distracting us.

Comments

• khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,080 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bken1234 wrote:
    Is anyone else dying to play this now that we have a new card set, a couple new PW and more have cycled through the vault?

It's so much fun to put our best decks forward and fight it out-- with nothing else distracting us.

Not when there is no viable or acceptable system to resolve ties.
  • Thésée
    Thésée Posts: 238 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I like the new NOP event and the objectives, but yes I miss the old format

It was the only event where it was important to design the best deck for every color. For other events we play modified decks and for QB the fastest deck we have. My Liliana 1 deck collects dust when it was one of my best loved deck
  • bk1234
    Options
    khurram wrote:
    bken1234 wrote:

There is -- get there first.

Does everything have to be about prizes -- can't we just enjoy some of this game. Most people like the event -- they don't like the ties -- the ties have nothing to do with the joy that comes from actually playing. Let's make it all about winning and not about fun.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I agree. It was the only "pure" event we had. At this point with so many events running back to back, a 24-48 hour old school NoP isn't going to ruffle a lot of feathers.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    60 way ties made it kind of boring.

Our decks have all evolved to a point the AI just can't beat us anymore in a straight fight.

I would love to see it back, but improve the AI first.

Of course, true pvp would be better... But that's probably not going to happen.
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Agree, bring it back!
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Fix the ties first, then by all means, please bring it back!
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,080 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bken1234 wrote:
    khurram wrote:
    bken1234 wrote:

There is -- get there first.

Does everything have to be about prizes -- can't we just enjoy some of this game. Most people like the event -- they don't like the ties -- the ties have nothing to do with the joy that comes from actually playing. Let's make it all about winning and not about fun.

I am sorry. Guess it must have been me who appeared to be the most miserable and complained the loudest when they limited the coalition mythic prizes to just top 2 for the new NOP. In that case i do need to be told that everything doesnt have to be about prizes. Now tell me again

As for the "get there first" system to reslove ties, it is a system alright but it is not acceptable by majority. Even the devs have mentioned that they mean to change it in the long term. Half of us would have probably quit playing by then out of frustration but still...

Anyways, the old NOP was fun because it was straight forward and MAINLY because it was the first event where you could earn great rewards for your efforts without having to grind for hours in qb. We found the battles thrilling because mythics and fat packs were at stake and each battle mattered. If it weren't for those rewards people would not have gotten on the events-are-so-much-better-than-qb bandwagon back then.

Later on, the same NOP, which wasnt really the same now due to the 70-way ties, stopped being as fun because personal progression seemed fruitless. The battles seemed repititive because the decks were as easy to beat with the saturation of mythics from coalition rewards as any qb deck. But people still played it because of the top 10 coalition prizes that came with it and now enjoyed it for that. Easy mythics.

So i guess if you really want the joy that comes with playing than go play some qb. But people dont play qb for the joy of playing, do they? You have to get that top 10 prize there too so you join a later qb bracket so that you have to play minimum to get the maximum rewards for your efforts....

But yes everything doesnt have to be about prizes, i agree. So Devs, please bring back the old NOP but without any coalition or personal prizes to distract us from the joy of playing. Just an A for our efforts. It will be the most popular, we promise.
  • bk1234
    Options
    I never understood individual rankings in coalition events anyway. I think it should be like PVE with coalition prizes and progression rewards only.

The ties don't bother me because I don't play for my own gain -- in fact I only play individual events to progression. When I'm playing a coalition event I really just play for my team so I don't really care where I rank individually.

I really loved NOP -- especially deckbuilding for it-- I'd like to see it back. Maybe with a Enraged or Supercharged.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

The battles seemed repititive because the decks were as easy to beat with the saturation of mythics from coalition rewards

This is exactly why I was against mythics as rewards at all. Admittedly we got to this point much quicker than I expected. Faced with the current problem, I don't think anyone can still claim with a straight face that the top coalitions don't have a stranglehold monopoly on rewards because of a positive mythic reward feedback loop.

Unfortunately dropping mythics as rewards came too little too late.
  • Justyce
    Justyce Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Options
    I think a few changes for gold and plat are needed. Things I would like to see:

Let the Ai have enraged from the first turn

Let them start the game with 30 loyalty points

Let them have double mana gains

You decks are locked as soon as the event starts so you can't change them to suit your opponent

In plat maybe you get -2 mana gains per match

All this should compensate for the poor AI and make games more fun and challenging.

I feel going up in mastery levels should be like difficulty levels in a game and it's purposefully unfair as there is no PVP in this game there doesn't need to be balanced games
  • tm00
    tm00 Posts: 155 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Without anything that drastic, just blacking out the opponent image in platinum might help a little maybe.
  • bk1234
    Options
    One of the biggest problems that cause the ties is playing the same 10 people over and over again. Almost every well organized team keeps a sheet of decklists so that we know exactly what we are facing and can sideboard appropriately.

If they would fix the marchmaking glitches so that we don't ever know what we are facing it would be much more challenging.