Shield change

Options
2»

Comments

• danae
    danae Posts: 101
    Options
    I've had this happen to me before. I've noticed that sometimes your interface doesn't necessarily refresh automatically unless you do something to send data to the server. What I do now before I shield is skip one of my queued opponents and if no update of my score going down pops up, I pay for a shield. Haven't had a problem since then.
  • bahamut685 wrote:
    That is the case (unless they've changed it)... I once had a point loss in between shielded losses when returning, which I presumed was from exactly that situation. I saw no reason to report it to support, since they've always been extremely unhelpful when I've dealt with them. ("Thank you for reporting this, we'll work on it." or some such, followed by everlasting silence.)

It would be interesting to see someone test this out. It would require a bit of communication and planning, but I would be surprised if it were the case.
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've had retaliations come in literally seconds after shielding without point loss, it's not because of fights being queued up before.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jozier wrote:
    mags1587 wrote:
    Well, that must be a new policy seeing as I got my HP back. That last line does rankle. It's nice that they actually explained it and I can understand why it happens and why it might be hard to fix, but really, come on. The player puts up a shield at a certain number of points because he/she does not want to lose any of those points. If the player knew an attack was coming in he/she might have played one more match.

So should people get to complain because they shielded and nobody attacked them?

You shield to prevent people from continually knocking your points down. If someone beats you before you purchase the shield, so be it.

Right, if someone beats you before you put up the shield, so be it. I get that you've already lost the points and the display just hasn't updated. I'm not complaining that the points were lost. But there's got to be some way that's not too cumbersome for the devs to inform the player exactly how many points they have before they purchase the shield. If a player thinks that they have 800 points, they might be ready to throw up a shield. If they knew they only had 760, they might play one more fight. Can it really be that hard, as pasa_ suggests, to fetch the points from the server and add them to the confirmation popup? Or at the very least, add an info message somewhere in-game about this scenario and that it's not actually a bug (which support would probably appreciate)?
  • mags1587 wrote:
    Right, if someone beats you before you put up the shield, so be it. I get that you've already lost the points and the display just hasn't updated. I'm not complaining that the points were lost. But there's got to be some way that's not too cumbersome for the devs to inform the player exactly how many points they have before they purchase the shield. If a player thinks that they have 800 points, they might be ready to throw up a shield. If they knew they only had 760, they might play one more fight. Can it really be that hard, as pasa_ suggests, to fetch the points from the server and add them to the confirmation popup? Or at the very least, add an info message somewhere in-game about this scenario and that it's not actually a bug (which support would probably appreciate)?

I like this idea in theory, but what if you're like me and you hit the button to go to the shield purchase and it says "You have 700 points" and then in between that time and the time you hit the button your score changes because you are trying to decide if you really do want to purchase that shield?
  • Puritas wrote:
    It'd be nice if it there wasn't that delay, but in the meantime check the ranking page I guess icon_razz.gif

Ah, the hasty downvoter provides the non-solution.... The race condition is always there: between your last check and asking the shield the score can always change. For proper handling the score must be made part of the protocol. Sure it's okay for you to be ignorant, but developers are expected to know basics of their craft.
  • jozier wrote:
    mags1587 wrote:
    Well, that must be a new policy seeing as I got my HP back. That last line does rankle. It's nice that they actually explained it and I can understand why it happens and why it might be hard to fix, but really, come on. The player puts up a shield at a certain number of points because he/she does not want to lose any of those points. If the player knew an attack was coming in he/she might have played one more match.

So should people get to complain because they shielded and nobody attacked them?

You shield to prevent people from continually knocking your points down. If someone beats you before you purchase the shield, so be it.

The problem is you can't tell that someone beat you before you purchase the shield. It's only after the fact. It's like the game is saying, "thanks for buying that shield. BTW, i forgot to tell you that you don't have the right number of points displayed yet. you are really down 35...You mad bro?"
  • I did hear back from support that the devs are looking at how to fix this. So, that is good to hear.

No HP reimbursment, which I don't really need. It just bugged me that the support guy said everything was working fine when it really wasn't. Hopefully they get this fixed so it doesn't happen anymore.