Oath of the Gate Watch Part II

MagicRage
MagicRage Posts: 6
edited January 2017 in MtGPQ Events
How the hell am I supposed to beat the Sphnix of the Final Word level? Pretty much "give all your creatures +3/+3, Hexproof, and Reach" every other turn (and 200+ health). I can't even put a dent into him.

Comments

• Onion_lotion
    Onion_lotion Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    I used jace2. spirit creatures that disable. Non block-ables. And bounced them all before he could buff them. Spells that don't target creatures work on hexproof "opponents first creature" still triggers.
  • Thésée
    Thésée Posts: 238 Tile Toppler
    Did it with Kiora

Emrakul, the Promised End

Anchor to the Aether
    Clutch of Currents
    Engulf the Shore
    Season's Past
    Exert Influence

Claustrophobia
    Nissa's Pilgrimage
    Fertile Thicket
    Tamiyo's Journal

Season's Past was not needed and Emrakul can be replace by Elder Deep-Fiend (it would obviously take longer to kill though)
  • AettThorn
    AettThorn Posts: 125
    I did it finally without killing too many creatures by putting Hixus in my deck. Sure all of his creatures have reach, but they're all also disabled, so it didn't matter. Before I did that though, it was a pain in the butt.
  • speakupaskanswer
    speakupaskanswer Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    I used J2, and mainly Claustrophobia, Engulf the Shore and Forgotten Creation. After getting his third ability going, this was surprisingly easy.
  • Alas, I don't have most of those cards (Engulf, Hixus, Forgotten Creation, Anchor to the Aether, Exert Influence). icon_e_sad.gif
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    my blue deck strategy for this is to use sphinx tutalege
    and some form of bounce. roil spout, reflector mage,
    gone missing should all work. you might need
    claustrophobia or some other non targeting disable if
    your opponent have used their hexproof ability. dovin
    works well if you have him as his 3rd ability allows you
    to buff up your creatures to win the battle more quickly.

HH
  • ForceO
    ForceO Posts: 2
    Has ANYONE defeated Kozilek, The Great Distortion??? If so, how? I'm beginning to think it's impossible, as I have been unable to defeat it, regardless of PW/deck build/etc. I got close, but then the AI kept chaining matches, pulled out a Mirrorpool or two (as ALWAYS), reinforced a few creatures, and proceeded to thrash me. Please, if it's possible to defeat it, let me know, as I'm beyond aggravated/frustrated, and ready to fling this game, and everything associated with it, into the abyss. Thanks.
  • julianus
    julianus Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Edited for lack of ability to look at message dates...
  • Magog
    Magog Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    ForceO wrote:
    Has ANYONE defeated Kozilek, The Great Distortion??? If so, how? I'm beginning to think it's impossible, as I have been unable to defeat it, regardless of PW/deck build/etc. I got close, but then the AI kept chaining matches, pulled out a Mirrorpool or two (as ALWAYS), reinforced a few creatures, and proceeded to thrash me. Please, if it's possible to defeat it, let me know, as I'm beyond aggravated/frustrated, and ready to fling this game, and everything associated with it, into the abyss. Thanks.

I'm fairly certain a large number of people here have done it, and gotten both secondary objectives. Personally, I've used both Nahiri and Liliana 2. The former used LifeLink creatures (thank you Olivia) to counter the damage done, the latter used the persistence of Prized Amalgam for defense and stacked a ton of tokens.

What cards do you have?
  • ForceO
    ForceO Posts: 2
    I was thinking of a Liliana/Prized Amalgam deck. I was using Ajani mainly with a lot of big flyers (Tyrant of Valakut, Aetherstorm Roc) and life gain to counter it when I get hit. I don't have Liliana 2 (Last Hope?) yet. Tried Koth, Ob Nixilis, both versions of Gideon, all with no success. I'm tired of losing to a seemingly overpowered opponent. Lol
  • Magog
    Magog Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Without knowing much more about what cards you have, how did the cards in your Ajani deck synergise? I don't see any commonality between Tyrant and Roc other than the fact that they fly. Also, we may have different viewpoints on what "big" creatures are. By the time I was done with Nahiri all my creatures had LifeLink and were at least 20/20, with Liliana my zombie token was somewhere in the 50s, along with a Diregraf Colossus that was in the 80s.