Variant PVP Events

Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
One complaint I often hear is that players have a tough time competing in PVP events, unable to reach higher placement or progression rewards. While MMR is designed to correct this, once they reach a certain point total, a player starts running into unbeatable teams in their queue.

I posted this in another thread on the General Discussion board, but by the time I was done I thought it might be better placed under the suggestions area.

Original Post:

One way to separate the masses would be to occasionally do variant PVP events, where the featured/required/loaner character is a different star level and once players joined one they would be locked out of the others. For example, there could be three simultaneous Captain America PVP events featuring his different variants: 2* Cap; 3* Cap; 4* Flaptain or Peggy. Restrict allowable characters for each event to the relative star level and below.

This would be possible with a lot of characters including Cap, Iron Man, Wolverine, Spidey, Captain Marvel, Thor... they wouldn't even have to feature variants of the same character. You could run an 'Avengers' event or a 'Villains' event with a different member from each group represented in the various star tiers.

Set the rewards to accelerate to the next star-level, so the 2* event would reward 3* covers, the 3* event would reward 4* covers, and a 4* event could reward LTs.

MMR would still be in play, buffs could still be in play, though I dunno if SCL would work into this - might dilute the groupings too much.