3* Max Champ Discussion

pheregas
pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm on the cusp of several 3*s hitting that magical level cap of 266.

My question is, what then? Scaling has determined that I shouldn't start over with a new character.

Should I shut down that particular 2* farm?

Should they continue to apply covers for ISO? (For instance 1k per cover instead of the normal 500?)

What does the forum community want/hope to see happen?

Comments

• DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't know that scaling would be a factor honestly. If you have 3* at 266, you almost certainly have champion 4*.

One, or two, or three 3* being recycled isn't going to impact that. Selling 42 at once? THAT might cramp your game, but that's because of losing boosted 3* options, not scaling.

IMO.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am a bit away from that point, but once I get there I am considering starting a second threestar to apply new covers to. I'll only sell the maxchamped one once the replacement hits 266 too.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just plant a new 3* farm. If your at the 266 cap then in today's economy hp and ISO are not major issues when a 3* 166 is less than 150k. Thats chump change compared to the 350+k for a 4* and the 500+ for a 5*. Your real issue is that you need to buy the slot when you about 3-5 covers short of the 266 cap. Make sure you you take the 1st complete color set into the farm BEFORE you max champ.

It may not be obivious, but if you sell the max champ. You run the very real risk of your 3* farm getting color locked at 5/5/0. Starting the farm before you hit max champ, enables you to apply the covers evenly and have a buffer space for surplus colors.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    After maxing out 3* i plan to build new one, and after 2nd one will be fully covered, i will sell the first one and promote the new one (mainly because of what the guy above me said - hes 101% right, and my three Prof Xs with 6/13/2 total agree with me icon_e_biggrin.gif ) .
    Selling 3*s is insane for me, considering the awesome rewards from promotions - mainly LTs, CPs, HPs, and 4*s.
  • Tiderian
    Tiderian Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    I'm nowhere near close, but my plan (no HP shortage for me right now) is to start the new versions of select 3* characters when I get to level ~250, so that I have plenty of time to apply excess covers. Based on the rate that I'm picking up covers, it looks like I'll have plenty of time between characters, and may even be able to dedicate a very small number of slots to the duplicates to reduce "wasted" covers.

The HP, CP, and LTs are just too yummy not to go and pick up on a farm the second time around.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    I thought this was going to be about how a 266 3* compares to a 270-ish 4* when both are boosted, mostly powers wise...
    Quebbster wrote:
    I am a bit away from that point, but once I get there I am considering starting a second threestar to apply new covers to. I'll only sell the maxchamped one once the replacement hits 266 too.
    veny wrote:
    After maxing out 3* i plan to build new one, and after 2nd one will be fully covered, i will sell the first one and promote the new one .

I'll do one of these things. Probably will depend on whether I'll still be able to use the 3*s with higher tiers. For now, I still enjoy playing with 3*s (and 2*s! icon_e_biggrin.gif ).
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks for the advice. I guess a dupe slot isn't too much of an HP tax. Given that I'm HP self sustaining at this point.

It's taken a year since champing to get 5 or 6 even close, and most of those are in the 2* farm.

Champed all the 4s I care about and am now going back to fill in all the 3s. I guess it will be a while before these recent champion converts even get close, and by then, maybe my front runner 3s will be ready to recycle.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I will certainly champ-farm them. I'll spend 1000 HP on a new slot to build up to 13 covers. At first, it will be expensive, but I'm sure that after a few of them, I'll be up to 13 covers, and then I can sell the max-champed 3* and have an available slot for the next farmed 3*, and so forth. I did something similar with my 2* champ-farming.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    What's the sell value of a 266 max champed 3*?
  • Gmax101
    Gmax101 Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    given that you can pick up 5 covers per PVE feature and 4/5 per PVP feature, it is actually not too bad a task to get a dupe ready for championing when timed correctly...
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Phumade wrote:
    Just plant a new 3* farm. If your at the 266 cap then in today's economy hp and ISO are not major issues when a 3* 166 is less than 150k. Thats chump change compared to the 350+k for a 4* and the 500+ for a 5*. Your real issue is that you need to buy the slot when you about 3-5 covers short of the 266 cap. Make sure you you take the 1st complete color set into the farm BEFORE you max champ.

It may not be obivious, but if you sell the max champ. You run the very real risk of your 3* farm getting color locked at 5/5/0. Starting the farm before you hit max champ, enables you to apply the covers evenly and have a buffer space for surplus colors.
    The odds of getting a 5/5/0 on your 3*s is far less than 2*s or even 5*s because they hand them out in rewards in groups of all 3 colors. 2* champ rewards give you one of each color, PvE and PvP placement rewards also give one of each, so the risk of wasting covers is incredibly low.

That said, however, there is really no reason not to go ahead and start early since you are going to have to do it eventually anyway.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    My highest 3* is only 235, so I've got some time before I have to worry about it. I'm thinking that I'll keep certain 3*s at 266 forever like IM40, SWitch, Fist, Strange, but others I'll build up a dupe. When the dupe gets to 13 covers, then I'll sell the max champ and champ the dupe. Scaling doesn't really matter to people with champed 4*s and 5*s. It's not like the 3* essential contributes anything to those fights anyway.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    At that point, I would dupe. Bring the dupe up to champ and then sell the max so you can reap the rewards all over again.

More than likely I will either go extremely casual or stop playing altogether before it becomes an issue for me.
  • Team_Jacob
    Team_Jacob Posts: 90 Match Maker
    I'll definitely be holding on to my IM40, and probably other LR boosted. Many of the others I'll plan on cycling. If I have a 3* champ already going, I'm sure it's going to be tempting when I have a 4 or 5* waiting to be champed.

It will be interesting to check in on this thread in a year and see what we all did.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    Say, "At last I've reached an end goal!" use that max champ 3* with a smile on your face and happily sell off any further covers you receive of that character.
  • Copps
    Copps Posts: 333 Mover and Shaker
    Just spend the 1k hero points and roster a new one to level. I doubt I'd sell my old 266 but who knows by that time.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Like others said, it depends on the character. The good ones I'll keep the 266 around until the dupe gets close. Most others I'll probably sell off after the dupe is max covered.
  • stewbacca
    stewbacca Posts: 82 Match Maker
    Currently have 19 3* max champed ( with 9 more within 6 covers.. placing top 20 in pve, and getting 5 covers of the same in around 3 days span in recent months, has added up quick..

I figure I'll start duplicates once I have enough iso stocked away to level up everything else I have running ( intercepts are helping with that.) Because I have seen a definite drop off in my lts and cp as those have been getting maxed, it does hurt. But I don't see 3* farming as a very easy process, that being said I have sold about 20 bullseye and human torch covers these past couple of months, kind of regret that now..