Character Level Boost/Buff Amounts

mdreyer93
mdreyer93 Posts: 144 Tile Toppler
edited January 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Does anyone know what the calculation is for the level boost/buff that characters get for PVP/PVE? I searched the forum but the numbers listed in the FAQ thread don't seem to be correct anymore. From what I can tell they aren't a fixed number or a fixed percentage of their actual level.

We need to know:

-PVP essential boost
-PVE essential boost (2*/3*/4*)
-Weekly boost/buff (1*/2*/3*/4*)

For Unstable ISO 8 essentials, my Lvl 171 Colossus is boosted to 269 (+98), Lvl 107 2* Wolverine to 183 (+76), and Lvl 70 XFDP to 175 (+105).

For the weeklies, 177 IM40 to 262 (+85), 169 BP and KK to 252 (+83), 130 Falcon to 206 (+76), 100 Invisible Woman and PunMAX to 174 (+74), lvl 70 XFW to 140 (+70), 107 2* Cap to 166 (+59), 15 OBW to 51 (+36), etc...

Anyone have an official answer to this?

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Based on my limited experience with the game and the forums I would guess that the official answer is "mind your own business!" It seems that the devs work hard to protect their secret sauce to an unnecessary degree. I sometimes wonder if they flux things as much just to try and keep the community from coming up with how things work.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    broll wrote:
    Based on my limited experience with the game and the forums I would guess that the official answer is "mind your own business!" It seems that the devs work hard to protect their secret sauce to an unnecessary degree. I sometimes wonder if they flux things as much just to try and keep the community from coming up with how things work.
    I understand the need to protect proprietary information, but It's dumb to try to hide mechanics that the players can easily deduce on their own by simply documenting their play - especially when those mechanics have such a big impact on how players plan their long term progression to optimize their unique personal experience with the game.
  • mdreyer93
    mdreyer93 Posts: 144 Tile Toppler
    Thanks aesthetocyst for linking to that announcement. From the min/max info you provided and what I can tell by looking at my own boosted characters over the last two events, I think I've come up with an equation to figure out the boost level for the weekly boosted 3* and 4*s.

4* Weekly - Boost Level = 70 + Current Level + 39*((Current Level - 70)/300)
    3* Weekly - Boost Level = 60 + Current Level + 39*((Current Level - 40)/226)

These have been accurate for me within 1 level (which I assume is due to rounding) for all my weekly boosted characters so far, although I don't have any near max champed characters to test.

For the featured essential characters in PVE it looks like it's a straight +105 for 4*s and +98 for 3*s (although from the announcement, the boost rate for champed 3*s should change at some point since the max champed boost is less...)
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
    mdreyer93 wrote:
    Thanks aesthetocyst for linking to that announcement. From the min/max info you provided and what I can tell by looking at my own boosted characters over the last two events, I think I've come up with an equation to figure out the boost level for the weekly boosted 3* and 4*s.

4* Weekly - Boost Level = 70 + Current Level + 39*((Current Level - 70)/300)
    3* Weekly - Boost Level = 60 + Current Level + 39*((Current Level - 40)/226)

These have been accurate for me within 1 level (which I assume is due to rounding) for all my weekly boosted characters so far, although I don't have any near max champed characters to test.

For the featured essential characters in PVE it looks like it's a straight +105 for 4*s and +98 for 3*s (although from the announcement, the boost rate for champed 3*s should change at some point since the max champed boost is less...)
    Nice work, mdreyer93! I found your 4* weekly boost formula completely accurate, up through boosted levels I had recorded on my own for various levels (188, 250, and levels 270 - 276).

Your 3* formula needed a slight tweak to get right of the 1 level difference. Using this formula, it matched all the recorded boosted values I had, along with all of the boosts for my 3* characters this week:

3* Weekly - Boost Level = 60 + Current Level + 41*((Current Level - 40)/226)

In Excel/Google Sheets, the formula then would be:
    =60+A4+41*((A4-40)/226)
    Where A4 contains the level it's boosting (if you start at 40 in A4 and continue, you can then drag down this formula to get the boosted values in the other column).

Next if you can help figure out the formula for 3*s and 4* when they're the featured story power-up or featured versus power-up, that'd be awesome.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    I seem to recall some dev post talking about how there's a floor for buffs; i.e. a number that is the lowest level a buffed character can be. But I don't know whether that's effectively the fixed-rate buff plus 1 or not. Memory bad, me not think good no more.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    LR buff is +50%
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    For the 3* featured buff, does (1.2 * level) + 94 work as a simpler formula? It seemed good in the couple of cases that I checked.