[Edited] About the in-game characters and variants

2»

Comments

• Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    in theory, BSSM should not be able to paired with Agent Venom, 1* venom, or 4* Eddie Brock Venom, since they all rely on the same symbiote.

I normally have no issues with variants as long as they are cool new ideas. I wouldn't mind the idea of the new Carol Danvers so much if they stopped using the same terminology. I get that "Photonic Blasts" is her schtick, but couldn't you name it something different? It feels like new variants are lazy, that's all. Whether the powers are identical but stronger (LCap, Lthor), or named the same... why put so little effort in? Different spider-people and Iron people... I consider them all variants in that I am overwhelmed by how many there are, some who aren't even very popular characters. Even with the Fox ban, there are plenty of characters we could have before another spider or iron person.

I even think about 4* luke cage... the powers are somewhat different while keeping true to the main concept of the character, the colors stay the same due to character costume/wardrobe, and the powers are named different things. Though I wasn't clamoring for a new Cage character, nor do I truly love playing with him... at least it was a true variant. BSSM was the same way, even if not entirely true to the character.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    BSSM is not the symbiote suit. It's just his "I'm in a bad mood" suit. Says so right in the in-game bio. It's just a 'replica'
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Jaedenkaal wrote:
    BSSM is not the symbiote suit. It's just his "I'm in a bad mood" suit. Says so right in the in-game bio. It's just a 'replica'

fair enough, I missed that part (rarely read the bios)... I actually wasn't even aware he HAD a replica suit, I only knew of the symbiote, which in theory was the last time he was a badass
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crnch73 wrote:
    Jaedenkaal wrote:

fair enough, I missed that part (rarely read the bios)... I actually wasn't even aware he HAD a replica suit, I only knew of the symbiote, which in theory was the last time he was a badass

That's the purpose of the "Back in Black" Suit. He gets pushed over the edge, and wants everyone he runs into to know it. After Civil War, an assassin hurts Aunt May (while she's with Peter and MJ) to make Peter suffer, and he puts on the black suit and adopts a "no more ****" kind of attitude. Hurting people, breaking arms, scaring them (throw out a window, catch with webbing), kidnapping, mild torture, etc. He almost beats Kingpin to death. He doesn't have the symbiote anymore, but it's the one time Peter might have been willing to use it, and the black suit is used to symbolize that.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Histamiel wrote:
    token_legendary.png : Dazzler.
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png : Dazzler.
    star.pngstar.pngstar.png : Dazzler.
    star.pngstar.png : Dazzler.
    star.png : Dazzler.
    There, I fixed it!

More seriously, Kitty Pryde is more powerful than a star.pngstar.png (though canon power vs in-game power admittedly doesn't correlate). I only focus there because I definitely want her to be put into the game. And I was expecting Enchantress some time back when the clue was "Villains need love too". Instead it was Green Goblin. Strong, but the clue had nothing to do with him since he's a heartless bastard. Is it swearing to call him an illegitimate offspring?

EDIT: Bastard wasn't corrected to tinykitty, so I guess it's fine.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    zodiac339 wrote:
    More seriously, Kitty Pryde is more powerful than a star.pngstar.png (though canon power vs in-game power admittedly doesn't correlate). I only focus there because I definitely want her to be put into the game. And I was expecting Enchantress some time back when the clue was "Villains need love too". Instead it was Green Goblin. Strong, but the clue had nothing to do with him since he's a heartless bastard. Is it swearing to call him an illegitimate offspring?

EDIT: Bastard wasn't corrected to tinykitty, so I guess it's fine.

Shoot, Kitty's going to be leading the new X-Men Gold Team (with Rachel Grey, Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, and Old Man Logan; where the Blue Team is all of the Teen X-Men brought to the future). Classic Kitty would make sense as a 2*, but modern Kitty could easily be a 4*.

(as a side note, we had 5* Spidey and Gwen right before Goblin, and it was around Valentine's, so many expected the clue to tie into "new Spidey villain for Valentine's Day", so that's how "Villains need love too" led to Green Goblin)
  • Histamiel
    Histamiel Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    Just for a little clarity, I am not against variants. If the variant as a very different moveset I am good with it. Personally, I would like to see a Captain Universe Spiderman variant.
    Some variants in-game are just stronger versions of lower-tier self.
    When I talk about new character, I mostly want to talk about character with powers not yet used in-game. When don't have any teleporters in this game. It could be hard to implement but interesting as a passive that allow them to avoid get hit on certain conditions.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    JHawkInc wrote:
    Crnch73 wrote:
    Jaedenkaal wrote:

That's the purpose of the "Back in Black" Suit. He gets pushed over the edge, and wants everyone he runs into to know it. After Civil War, an assassin hurts Aunt May (while she's with Peter and MJ) to make Peter suffer, and he puts on the black suit and adopts a "no more tinykitty" kind of attitude. Hurting people, breaking arms, scaring them (throw out a window, catch with webbing), kidnapping, mild torture, etc. He almost beats Kingpin to death. He doesn't have the symbiote anymore, but it's the one time Peter might have been willing to use it, and the black suit is used to symbolize that.
    After shaking off thje symbiote Spidey Continued to wear a Black Costume until Amazing Spider Man 300
    after his first encounter with Venom Mary Jane (whom Venom had scared the bejesus out of) convinced him to go back to the original look