Locking the AI is cheating thread is bad for discussion

dsds
dsds Posts: 526
edited January 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Let me say that I don't believe the ai cheats. However, let's have the discussion. If someone thinks the AI cheats, let's discuss it and prove him/her wrong or right. There is plenty of evidence to back up each side.

Personally, I wanted to post in the locked thread for some constructive discussion. But I can't and it also looks bad because someone can still search it see how quickly it locked, making it look like the devs are trying hide something. Please realize that forums will have positive and negative comments. Also many time it will have misinformation. It's normal. Blocking it and not really giving it a discussion I think in my opinion is much worse. Looks like you have something to hide or you don't know how to run forums.

The ai is not cheating. The reason why it feels harder is because the ai is harder. When you start out the ai is much lower in intelligence. Even at 4-5* roster, the ai level is still limited as it can't ever do 5 matches. What I find is that at higher roster levels the ai knows how to use the powers better, and the ai sometimes uses 2 powers at once. Also of course, the longer you survive, the more ap you get. Each turn you and the ai gets a minimum of 3AP of a color. Yes many of you have said it only fires one, but yesterday I am pretty sure the ai fired two power in one turn. X force wolverine fired the green, it caused some cascades, and then he fired the black immediately afterwards without taking a turn. I don't think I've ever seen that before. Maybe the cascades caused by the green made the computer think it took a turn and got another one.

Again I don't mean to be offensive and restart the thread, but if I am going to banned for this, then so be it. I don't want to be a part of a forum that dictates what I can write about and not. If I am wrong, then let me know. I am very open minded. That is how we learn, from our mistakes.

Comments

• TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    It's possible that it was locked because "AI cheats" threads have been created over and over and over again. It has been theorized about, debunked, addressed by devs, etc. There is no discussion to be had, pretty much everything that can be said has already been said.
  • Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    Plenty of evidence, you say? Never seen any. Provide screenshots or videos, then I'll believe.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    I'm all for transparency and discussion. But "AI Cheats" threads are a scourge, and can only go two ways:

1) A new payer expresses ignorance of the game in a way that aggravates veteran players, and there's a feeding frenzy.
    2) Fifteen different people with different approaches all try to explain Confirmation Bias to someone who's either too young or too, oh, let's say willful to understand it.

Sometimes both happen simultaneously. Let them talk about the AI cheating on facebook.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Were they locked simply because of their subject, or because people start flaming and breaking forum rules? From my experience the later is the more likely reason.

As to AI cheating, I don't believe it does. I don't know what the devs would gain from programming the AI to cheat and know things the player shouldn't. People just get upset when the lose to random cascades, but not so much when they win to them. The level of upset, is why these threads normally turn to negative flame comments.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    dsds wrote:
    The ai is not cheating. The reason why it feels harder is because the ai is harder. When you start out the ai is much lower in intelligence. Even at 4-5* roster, the ai level is still limited as it can't ever do 5 matches. What I find is that at higher roster levels the ai knows how to use the powers better, and the ai sometimes uses 2 powers at once. Also of course, the longer you survive, the more ap you get. Each turn you and the ai gets a minimum of 3AP of a color. Yes many of you have said it only fires one, but yesterday I am pretty sure the ai fired two power in one turn. X force wolverine fired the green, it caused some cascades, and then he fired the black immediately afterwards without taking a turn. I don't think I've ever seen that before. Maybe the cascades caused by the green made the computer think it took a turn and got another one.
    The AI will fire two or more powers every turn if it has the AP to do so regardless of roster level. I've had it string together 4 or 5 in a turn many a time. What it will not do is use the same power twice on the same turn or use two different powers with the same color on the same turn (Juggernaut's Unstoppable Crash + Ragnarok's Godlike Power which are both green powers for example). It will always wait between turns on the same color powers.

When you face all goons for several nodes, you don't see cascades nearly as often because only one side is affecting the board barring CDs resolving. You see cascades much more frequently when two sides are affecting the board, and the board makeup affects this, too.

The reason "AI Cheats" threads get locked is because, like stowaway said, either someone doesn't understand a fundamental game mechanic and gets this explained to them, or the threads devolve into flame bait. These threads get debated ad nauseum, and the bottom line is that the AI will always play sub-optimally and mostly predictably when it has board movers.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    I do think that the forums needs to be an area where noobs can ask noobish questions. While most posts of this type seems like dumb questions to exp players. I know from teaching that implicit in the question is also a call for support and advice. And that should be the primary mission of the forums.

Do those threads need to be unlocked so we can rehash the same issues no? but should we be insta locking them and telling the OP. "Bro, why don't you get that we debated this issue last month. Either stay update, or use search on the forum discussions or GTFO"

Personally, I think we should accept that noobs will always ask this question. and the forum response should a little bit of support, a little bit of sarcasm, but most importantly acknowledge the fears concerns and uncertainty of the OP
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade wrote:
    I do think that the forums needs to be an area where noobs can ask noobish questions. While most posts of this type seems like dumb questions to exp players. I know from teaching that implicit in the question is also a call for support and advice. And that should be the primary mission of the forums.
    Maybe Tips and Tricks could subsume that need?
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    howard_icon.pngThe AI does not cheat, therefore there is nothing to discuss. Please refrain from creating topics on the subject as it spreads misinformation and is against the forums rules. Thanks! howard_icon.png
This discussion has been closed.