5* Cover swaps

Gmax101
Gmax101 Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
edited January 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
I have now just pulled my 5th Dr Strange blueflag.png for the 5* version...

although it wont be for a couple of weeks, I will be pulling some more LTs at some point... and there is now the risk of unusable covers...

are Cover Swaps via CS a common or even standard thing?

or are they dependent on CS willingness to help?

Comments

• Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    CS has swapped 2 covers from characters in the Latest pool for me over the past couple months. Ultimately it's at their discretion, but I haven't heard of anyone being denied recently. There are rumors that things might change in the near future (or did 1st of the year) but I haven't heard anything yet - let us know your experience.
  • waywreth
    waywreth Posts: 303 Mover and Shaker
    My Classic swap request was denied and they stated it was against policy.
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    I got 5 IM blue back during the original CW event . Since then I've pulled 5 straight yellow. I already know I'm going to get another yellow, probably multiple. It's going to piss me off immensely. They need to fix this system.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    I don't have enough covers on any 5* character to worry about this any time soon but I expect that at some point soon there will be a policy that they won't swap covers. A few months ago I never saw any posts about CS swapping covers for people, but now I feel like I see one or two a day. As the volume of these requests increases I'm sure they will shut this down to avoid increasing the volume of support tickets.

I remember when champions first came out and people were saying that CS would split your duplicates for you. Shortly after that became widely posted on the forums I started seeing posts that CS will not do it anymore. I expect the same thing to happen with cover swaps.
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 533 Critical Contributor
    waywreth wrote:
    My Classic swap request was denied and they stated it was against policy.

I was told the same thing. Pretty disappointing given that I have a Phoenix greenflag.png & an Old Man Logan blackflag.png that are expiring in the next day or so.

Given the increased rarity of the covers in Classic Legends, they really need to fix this.
  • Kishida
    Kishida Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    Maybe they're changing the policy because colorless covers are being implemented just... about... NOW!

icon_lol.gif

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
  • RemoDestroyer
    RemoDestroyer Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    i had a yellow oml expire last week. I have a yellow oml and 2 black OML and 1 red silver surfer in my cache. My oml is 5/5/0 and my ss is 2/5/5. I don't have any championed 5*s yet.

Last week I asked cs if the yellow oml that expired could be exchanged for a red cover before it expired and I got the "we cannot do that" response

The odds of pulling any oml are so small but I managed to pull 4 in one month that I can't use must be amazing. Unlucky lottery winner
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Classics will not be swapped.
    Latest are for now.

Which is the reason many of us switched to drawing only from Latest with CP.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    I don't understand why they haven't implemented the ability to change a cover's color by spending HP. It would make players happier, while also giving us something else to spend HP on.
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 533 Critical Contributor
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Classics will not be swapped.
    Latest are for now.

Which is the reason many of us switched to drawing only from Latest with CP.

That's great but it does nothing to help me complete my best covered 5* characters - Phoenix, OML, & GG.

For me, the most covers I have for any specific color in Latest Legends is two, so I'm unlikely to run into the need to swap covers from that pool, anyway.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    stowaway wrote:
    I don't understand why they haven't implemented the ability to change a cover's color by spending HP. It would make players happier, while also giving us something else to spend HP on.

From a practial perspective what you suggest and things like colourless tokens may not be technically feasible without a signficant rewrite. The devs have discussed this topic a few times in the past.

So they are effectively using CS to cover up a technical issue that they may not know how to fix. From a business perspective, we already know that CS is actually part of the publisher and not part of the developers. I suspect two issues are happening.

1. When the developers agreeed to let the publishers distribute the game, I would imagine that pubs either said, we can support X numbers of tickets (resulting in Y number of labour hours). As these color swap request mount, It wouldn't be a surprise that this has been identified as a cost shift from a tech solution to a manpower labour solution that the publisher is carrying.

2. The publisher is probably saying either reduce these ticket requests or we have to review the profit splits between publisher and developer. I don't think they are the same company that just shares their costs and profits. I think the publisher has many developers on either fixed rate or other payment system.

Likely outcomes, either the publisher will say

1. No more colour swaps without an adjustment to how we charge the developers for Customer service support. In which case, the devs will say fine!

2. End colour swaps and implement another bandaid solution.

However, the first rule that anyone in crisis management knows is that a bandaid is a solution based on technology you already have at hand! No body in crisis says, lets ignore the situation until version 4.0 of the game engine is developed.

If you think about what technolgy you've already seen in the game. We are looking at

1. Either they will pull characters out of roation i.e. like the 3 vaulting of Black panther.
    2. Some variation of 20 item vault with a 5*. That said who knows how they cost it.
    3. Its possible to see them split into multiple packs. However, they probably don't have an actuary to re calculate costs. Part of the 5cp discount from latest to classics probably has some basis in the fact that they knew dilution was going to occur.

I personally doubt we'll see them actually roll out an elegant technical solution to this problem. We'll see some version/combination of 1,2, or 3
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Man, my 5/1/5 OML would have loved the Yellows that you threw away! I would have gladly given you the Blacks and Reds that I threw away!
  • itstime1234
    itstime1234 Posts: 369 Mover and Shaker
    mpqr7 wrote:
    Man, my 5/1/5 OML would have loved the Yellows that you threw away! I would have gladly given you the Blacks and Reds that I threw away!

This is why I retired. If you didn't get lucky and get your character champed, you fall further and further behind the champed version since every color becomes useful while you continue to sell your 5s. Quitting the day before Christmas day was the best decision I made. Really got to enjoy the holidays.

Hope you pull those elusive yellows.