Character Design Musings...

Gmax101
Gmax101 Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
edited January 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
So with the release of two characters with 3*/5* versions, I was looking at them and it struck me how inconsistent the implementations of these two characters are....

In both cases the 3* is a simplified version of the 5*, with slight changes in the power effects to differentiate them.

And yet, that is where the similarity ends...

Thanos 3* is pretty widely hated and is unlikely to see much usage outside of essential nodes... where as the 5* is rapidly being regarded by those in the fortunate position to care, to be the No 1 5*. In addition the 5* powers are all direct upgrades on the 3*

Dr Strange 3* however is an absolute monster in any node with 2 or 3 goons, and for nodes with 1 goon he is still a decent pick. A real PVE powerhouse. While the 5* version, is still a beast in PVE, he is not setting the world alight for those players with high end 5* rosters and whether the 5* power set is actually an upgrade on the 3* is questionable across the board.

So you have one character with a very niche 3* version and a powerhouse 5* vs a PVE monster 3* and an ok 5*

Specific Power examples...

Thanos.
All the powers get upgraded from 3* to 5*
greenflag.png gets more damage....
blackflag.png does markedly less damage to your own team and stuns everyone.
purpleflag.png Does less damage but that board control is nuts

Dr Strange
This is slightly less clear cut...
blueflag.png at 5 covers, my level 177 3* does more damage than my level 270 5* but all else is the same... which bugs me a little bit
purpleflag.png Sure the guaranteed removal every turn for the 5* is sweet, and is arguably an upgrade on the 3* clearing 2... but there aren't that many match ups where that is significantly different in practise.
yellowflag.png The real challenge... again, the passive damage is higher for my lower level (albeit championed) 3* than it would be for my level 270 5* if I had 5 covers rather than 3. But losing the health gain (even though it is not massive it does add up in goon heavy fights) for a high cost active that damages the target (14 AP... really...) is a questionable upgrade at best.

So with Thanos, the 5* would get used... but the 3* gets champed just for completeness.

With Dr Strange, I levelled up my 5* a little bit and then realised that I would never take him over the 3* until he is equivalent covered, and even then, the extra HP would be offset by the fact that the match damage would lead him to tank vs most 4* (The bulk of my roster) and those HP would go pretty quick. Making it a waste of 15 levels of ISO and a roster slot in terms of usefulness.

Ultimately the differences between two characters that have the same basic implementation approach are significant and I am left wondering what the actual intentions of the different versions were...