AI 5 tile match

Options
Fionsel
Fionsel Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
edited January 2017 in MPQ Tips and Guides
Quite a few times I now have noticed that the AI makes a different move than I would. Given the following scenario where a X is a tile of a single color and . are other colors (junk):

. X . .
X . X X
. X . .

In this case I would switch the X at 2,1 (row, column) with the . at 2,2. This both gives a critical strike tile and allows me to make another move. However, the AI either switches the X at 1,2 or 3,2 with the dot at 2,2 resulting in a 4-tile match, destroying the row but ending the turn.

This leaves me wondering whether I'm missing something or the AI is not making the best move. Could it be that at higher difficulty lvls the AI does make this match? Can anyone help me here?

Comments

• Pope Belligerent
    Pope Belligerent Posts: 94 Match Maker
    Options
    The AI doesn't recognize matches around corners. It will always go for the highest possible match in a straight line. So in an instance like that, it will always go for the 4-match instead of the 5-match. I don't know if that was a programming flaw or intentional so as to nerf the AI a little bit. Honestly, sometimes I find it a little insulting that the AI will waste a perfectly good 5-match like "I don't need it, I'm good with the 4."
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The AI doesn't recognize matches around corners. It will always go for the highest possible match in a straight line. So in an instance like that, it will always go for the 4-match instead of the 5-match. I don't know if that was a programming flaw or intentional so as to nerf the AI a little bit. Honestly, sometimes I find it a little insulting that the AI will waste a perfectly good 5-match like "I don't need it, I'm good with the 4."

It's intentional. See this post from a while ago about AI logic: http://www.demiurgestudios.com/engineering/a-worthy-opponent/