3* Thanos damage is inconsistent

Options
Ron30
Ron30 Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
edited January 2017 in MPQ Character Discussion
Thanos with 1 black cover does equal damage to both enemies and allies. With 2 black covers, damage to both rises but he now does more damage to enemies than he does to his allies. So why is it that at 3 or 4 black covers, he suddenly does more damage to his allies, than his enemies? Then he switches sides again once you add a 5th black cover, by doing more damage to enemies than allies.

Essentially, players will either want to keep him at 0 black covers, and be unable to champ him, or you are forcing them to put in 5 black covers. Is this a bug, or does D3 just not want us to have a choice when building characters anymore?

Comments

• Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm taking part in BEHOLD THANOS and this is my conclusion.

I hate 3*'THANOS.
    I will NEVER use him out of his own PvP or PVE.
    Im not prepared to accept the team self damage

Get out of my life 3* Thanos.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have Thanos champed and found that a 5/3/5 build is desirable. His purple power that adds match damage isn't that hot because he's rarely going to tank his colors - the power basically suffers from the same problem Vision encounters, and isn't as good as Vision's +1000.

I buddied Thanos with Patch and Daken for his PVP event, chased green, and didn't worry about health. Once the first enemy fell, the battle was basically over due to Thanos' black. I steamrolled through everyone I fought. When I wanted to step away, I won a match with XFW and IM40 (who were buffed) to scare away any defensive losses and wasn't attacked once.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If they made Thanos' purple actually increase his match damage for the duration--so he'd tank more colors or maybe all of them--he might not be bottom of the barrel.

The reason his black damage does more to allies is... Honestly I don't know, and the devs won't tell you, either. But probably because it needs that big of a drawback for how much damage it does. In his PVP I was just using the loaner and with a couple strike tiles out it's not even a bad tradeoff at 1 rank. With so much team damage it encourages you to use a team healer, or just not use him at all. If his Black was 4000/1000 at 5 ranks, it'd be incredibly, just wildly over-powered (especially for wave pve, e.g. TBE) and everyone would use him too much.. It's ok for the 5 to be that OP because PVP is all they worry about at the 5-star tier, balance-wise.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ErikPeter wrote:
    If they made Thanos' purple actually increase his match damage for the duration--so he'd tank more colors or maybe all of them--he might not be bottom of the barrel.

Agree with this. Currently the advantage over Heavy Density is... you get to place the tile? Yippee...
  • Ron30
    Ron30 Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Fear not, people. Dev's admitted it was a bug and are fixing it in the R117 Hot fix: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=56914
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yes, it's been fixed since Friday.