Dovin Baan could use a slight buff.

Options
Mainloop25
Mainloop25 Posts: 1,935 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Right now, Jace2 is a better planeswalker than Dovin Baan, overall. His mana gains are better for 2 colors even though he's a monocolor planeswalker, and his abilities usually end up helping you in a match more; even though he is considerably cheaper in crystal cost.

All you would need to do to make him a great planeswalker overall would be to make his blue and white mana gains +4 each, and/or lower his 3rd ability cost to 18 loyalty down from 21 loyalty. I end up using his 1st and 2nd ability often to add energy and power up my cards, so it's rare that I get to save up loyalty to use the 3rd ability.

Giving him slightly better mana gains would make it less necessary to use his first ability, and would make it easier to save loyalty to use his 3rd ability.

Comments

• bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Now that I've been forced to play with Dovin, I like him even less. His manna gain is awful -- which forces me to fill my decks with supplementing cards, and his abilities are WAY over-priced and useless because my deck of full of manna-gen cards.

I don't think I can remember the last time a PW was released this unbalanced--- in fact, besides being able to Deploy blue and white (and most people don't have DtG) -- I don't really see any value to him at all.

Merged with mainloop's topic // Alve
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Nyx + insidious will? Just sayin'

But yeah I see what you mean, still, it's nice to have a blue white planeswalker
  • Mainloop25
    Options
    Haha. Dude I just made this exact thread in the suggestions forum. I feel the same way!
  • speakupaskanswer
    speakupaskanswer Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I really enjoy playing with Dovin. I never use his second ability, but the other two are quite powerful. Though, I only play him with my best energy cards and he works really well this way. Sorry, but I don't see a real problem.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I agree that he's pretty powerful as is, but a mild buff wouldn't hurt. Looking at Sorin and Nahiri, they have +4 in each their primary colors, though most two colors have +3 so a buff to mana might not be needed.

I do find that with as difficult as it is to keep energy on the field, since it seems the AI will actively attempt to remove it, that his abilities might need to be reduced in cost. They all play into each other nicely, but just are a bit high costed, and require you to run other energy generating cards in the deck to utilize him.

Another buff is to look at his signature cards. Empyreal Voyager is really good once you've got your engine online with his final ability support, but without that, it's too expensive a card, so a cost reduction or a power buff seems in order.
  • AngelForge
    AngelForge Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I don't think that Dovin needs a buff, but some other Planeswalker should take a step back so that we are all not so spoiled by massive mana gain... icon_e_wink.gif

Not everyone has high end cards and I might look cheap but I like the claustrophobia + swift reckoning combo... Niblis of Frost fits in there as well.

Regards!
    Sven

Edit: But of course you can also buff a lot of planeswalker until they feel like Koth or Kiora.
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Just played against Killwind's Dovin Baan deck in the event:
    Sphinx of the Final Word
    Startled Awake
    Starfield of Nyx
    Insidious Will
    Hixus, Prison Warden
    Suppression Bonds
    (1 other support)
    Talent of the Telepath
    Imprisoned in the Moon
    (1 other card which I don't recall)

Not sure one can call it weak. Oppressive is much closer.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dovin is really far from weak.

He's just not obviously overpowered.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just played against Killwind's Dovin Baan deck in the event:
    Sphinx of the Final Word
    Startled Awake
    Starfield of Nyx
    Insidious Will
    Hixus, Prison Warden
    Suppression Bonds
    (1 other support)
    Talent of the Telepath
    Imprisoned in the Moon
    (1 other card which I don't recall)

Not sure one can call it weak. Oppressive is much closer.

Been getting paired against his decks constantly the last two events. All of them are pretty oppressive.
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Personally I don't find Dovin weak. He was my best planeswalker in Inventor's Fair even though my only lost match was with him. I think the core problem is that his abilities trick you into thinking that you have to use energize and overload cards but even the best of those cards don't stand up to what is available from previous sets. Here's just two examples within the same rarities that I used in Dovin when I shouldn't have.

Deadlock Trap vs Prison Bonds
    Deadlock Trap - colorless, rare, 3 mana, 3 shields. Energize 2 when cast, Overload 1, disable the first creature your opponent controls until the beginning of your next turn.
    Prison Bonds - white, rare, 6 mana, 1 shield. Disable the first creature your opponent controls.
    Prison Bonds is clearly better even though it is more easily removed unless reinforced. Trap is half the many cost with three times as many shields but requires you to make an energy match on each of your turns to get its effect, plus you need to keep generating energy in order to do so. Bonds just gets out there and does its job and your only goal then is avoiding setting the AI up to destroy it, plus it shuts down a certain creature with haste and hexproof that cost me lots of points this event. A way to improve Trap would be to make it eat one energy at the beginning of your turn and disable the opponents creature. This way you wouldn't be stuck making off color matches just to trigger overload or even worse, not have any matches to trigger overload even though there is energy on the board. And I do appreciate the fact that Trap is colorless but it still would not be overpowered in non-white decks even with my suggested changes.

Era of Innovation vs Prism Array
    Era of Innovation - blue, rare, 5 mana, 3 shields. When a creature type artificer or a support enters play, Energize 2, Overload 3, draw three cards.
    Prism Array - blue, rare, 6 mana, 3 shields. When either player landfalls, disable the first creature your opponent controls until the beginning of your next turn and draw 3 cards.
    Era of Innovation doesn't even come close to Prism Array. In fact, Prism Array is essentially a combination of Era of Innovation and Deadlock Trap, that either you or the AI can activate for you. Sure you aren't always guaranteed a landfall but you also aren't always guaranteed an Overload 1, let alone an Overload 3. I know it's been argued that Prism Array is OP and I can agree but that doesn't make Era of Innovation any less bad than it is.

Sure Deadlock Trap plus Era of Innovation could be very strong in a heavy energize deck but that requires a lot of moving parts to come together. The alternative is to just run Prism Array. I suspect in Amonkhet (set after Aether Revolt), that is exactly what will happen because energy will become a useless relic of this games past.

Maybe I' just ranting and maybe I'm just mad at myself for using the Kaladesh cards in Inventor's Fair instead of the cards I should have used in the first place but I think it's pretty obvious that you can accomplish the same things with non-Kaladesh cards while jumping through less hoops.

Side note, Dovin Baan's third ability created support needs 5 shields like every other planeswalker's third ability created support gets.
  • buscemi
    buscemi Posts: 673 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ZW2007- wrote:
    I think the core problem is that his abilities trick you into thinking that you have to use energize and overload cards but even the best of those cards don't stand up to what is available from previous sets.

I'm not sure this speaks to Dovin's power level as much as it does to a) the generally low power level of the Energize mechanic overall and b) the appalling brokenness of Prism Array.
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    Options
    dovin can be quite powerful with modest white/blue
    cards. I've been using curious homonculi(uncommon)
    with encircling fissure(uncommon) to disable for 1
    turn, almost every turn that I wait for other spells
    to charge up with free mana.

HH
  • paralistalon
    Options
    I didn't buy Dovin so was surprised when I looked at an opponent's Dovin when checking his loyalty and found that he only had +3 and +3 mana gain. This is the same as Kiora, but she gets Nissa's Pilgrimage to offset that. Meanwhile, my Saheeli is a total rockstar on mana gain!
  • bk1234
    Options
    Manna gain is my biggest complaint with him. I have to load my deck down and I don't like that.
  • killwind
    killwind Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Even if Dovin Baan (DB) was a 0 across the board for colors I would play him. Blue/white are my strongest colors. Not to mention his first and 3rd abilities are solid. 2nd ability is alright you have some card draw built right in.

I worry less about what he does and focus on what I can use to really ruin everyone's day!

Oh and @bken I'm waiting on your response in private chat!
  • Mainloop25
    Options
    killwind wrote:
    Even if Dovin Baan (DB) was a 0 across the board for colors I would play him. Blue/white are my strongest colors. Not to mention his first and 3rd abilities are solid. 2nd ability is alright you have some card draw built right in.

I worry less about what he does and focus on what I can use to really ruin everyone's day!

That's because you have every mythic ;P
  • bk1234
    Options
    killwind wrote:

I've heard all about what you've done with that deck.

Answered.
  • Oaklanbash
    Oaklanbash Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Killwind's Jace1 is not a lot of fun either hehe. Exert Influence, Day's Undoing, Startled Awake alone make a deck not a lot of fun to play against. Luckily the AI plays his deck pretty poorly.
  • J_Samael_C
    J_Samael_C Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Maybe his first ability could be a mana gain based on amount of energized gems? Almost like J2 mana gain based on supports.

Like, energize 3 and gain 1 mana per energized gen, or whatever.
  • jetnoctis
    jetnoctis Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Dovin's mana gain: +6.
    Saheeli's mana gain: +11.
    'Nuff said.