Are LRs still worth the time?

udonomefoo
udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
I play pvp and ddq every day. I don't have time to play ALL THE THINGS, so I have to choose where to spend my time most effectively.

With the elimination of 20iso, the addition of CLs and intercepts it feels like my time is much better spent doing pve clears than LRs. Plus I don't have to do that silly "join in the first 30 seconds and hope for the best" thing. I haven't played a LR in 2-3 weeks and it doesn't feel like I'm missing much.

I can see how a high level 5* would change the perspective, because you can plow through seeds in a couple moves per match. Without that it doesn't feel worthwhile to me.

Any counter argument to that sentiment?

Comments

• byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    I usually just play one match of Lightning Round for the tiny iso prize. 30 seconds for 100 iso (or whatever it is) for just playing is worth it to me.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    You don't get much ISO from LRs compared to PVE. You do get 2 xp per battle, which is decent against the seed opponents when you get them.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Xp.
    2* covers.
    2k ISO for seeds.

Of course they're worth it.

If you don't play MPQ like a second job then yeah, you're not missing much if you skip LRs.

For the crazies among us, they're still essential. We all need ISO.
  • i try to do them, but if i miss one or two or three no big deal.

i really want 2* covers but for months now im lucky to get 2-3 over the 48 hour period. it didnt used to be this way. i would get multiples per lr and some up to 6-7in a single lr. i get the 250 iso as much if not more than 2* covers. the decline in 2* covers makes me care far less.

so now i try to clear seeds in 6-7 minutes and hope for the best. the couple thousand iso doesnt feel that impactful when it takes 400k to level a 4* but i do it anyway.

the 2 xp per match is a nice addition.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just play the first three seeds. Two ISO prizes and a standard token for ~3 minutes of effort is solid.

I've heard people say you can make thousands upon thousands of ISO in lightning rounds but I don't see how it's possible unless you buy tons of health packs and have no life outside the game.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Playing 10 seeds and then one or two more fights against regular opponents is usually enough to get top 50 and thus two Heroic tokens. The timing can be a little iffy though, ideally you want to climb late to make yourself less of a target.
  • Bowgentle
    Jarvind wrote:
    I just play the first three seeds. Two ISO prizes and a standard token for ~3 minutes of effort is solid.

I've heard people say you can make thousands upon thousands of ISO in lightning rounds but I don't see how it's possible unless you buy tons of health packs and have no life outside the game.
    Have a 5* roster.
    Break MMR at 400.
    Hit seals for an hour.
    Ignore hits from below since you're farming anyway.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Have a 5* roster.
    Break MMR at 400.
    Hit seals for an hour.
    I'm familiar with a lot of slang terms in the game, but never heard seals. Explain?
  • Bowgentle
    ZeiramMR wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Have a 5* roster.
    Break MMR at 400.
    Hit seals for an hour.
    I'm familiar with a lot of slang terms in the game, but never heard seals. Explain?
    3* teams if you're a 4* player, 4* teams if you're a 5* player.
    Basically any team you can kill with no HP usage, in 2 minutes or less.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    The main reason besides iso is 2* farming. If you're farming every character, then yes, any PVP match is worth it.

Enough so that if I have random leftover time, I farm in shield sim. Just pick your favorite winfinite and hit anyone, regardless of points. My current favorites are OML/ProfX/QS and 4Clops/KK/3Storm. When you don't care about points or getting hit, it's pretty relaxing.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since SHIELD Intercepts were released I tend to skip LR's more often than I used to but now that XP can be gained from PVP battles I've been playing the seeds at least. Overall it would be nice if LR's were all the time and not for a limited time.
  • Bowgentle
    Since SHIELD Intercepts were released I tend to skip LR's more often than I used to but now that XP can be gained from PVP battles I've been playing the seeds at least. Overall it would be nice if LR's were all the time and not for a limited time.
    No.
    I used to think that, but there would be people playing 24/7.
    You need to protect people from them self, sometime.
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    I get about 2 to 4k of iso each LR if i play against seed teams and regular teams. This doesn't include the 2 standard tokens and placement rewards. All in, i think it's still worth playing esp since i still have 13+ 4* to champ.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since posting this I have leveled my 2/4/2 Black Bolt to 360 and rostered (not maxed yet) 3hanos.

LR's are DEFINITELY worth the time now because everyone is dead by turn 2.

The "join in the first 2 minutes or get nothing" part is still annoying though, I just don't have that kind of life where I can drop what I'm doing every two hours on the dot.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I treat lightning rounds as non-essential. If one is about to start when I'm on in the evening, I'll clear out the seed teams. It's worth it for the iso, xp, and progression prizes. But I won't schedule my life in 2 hour increments. PVE is much better for farming all materials except covers, but even cover rewards seem to have grown sparse in lightning rounds.

I like them enough that I wish they'd run LRs on the weekend instead of Tues-Thurs when I have very little time to participate.
  • Ding
    Ding Posts: 179
    LRs used to be so much better tbh. While the placement rewards have gotten better, the random rewards from matches has taken a severe drop. I used to get 8-12 2* covers on average and as many as 20 in a single round, so you can see how they were a goldmine for iso. Nowadays I'm unlikely to get 2 2* covers from matches, while the placement tokens have gotten me some decent rewards.
  • yeah, the LRs used to give me 2* covers for my farm - maybe a dozen every week - now I'm lucky if I get 2 per week...something has changed significantly in 2017.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    I have LITERALLY made millions off of the LRs alone, but they have most certainly lost their appeal, for even me.

With no Intercepts, rare 2* cover drops, no SCLs, etc............
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like the two Heroic tokens you get for finishing in the top 50, but it does seem interest has gone down. Not too long ago you needed around 300 points for top 50, these days it is usually enough to pass 250 points for top 50.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you have a max or near max 3* Thanos you can clear all seed teams in 4 min (yes I timed it) in LR. If you can get 9-10 matches in earn 20 XP, plus ISO it is worth it. Overall PVE and shield intercepts will earn you more resources, but LR can also be good and really fast. The hard nodes in PVE sometimes take 3-4 min for 1 match and you only get a a small amount of ISO. LR are still good but very boring and repetitive.