Ok...what is the secret to finishing in top 10?

Sleestak1964
Sleestak1964 Posts: 3
edited December 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
When playing in versus challenges, I have been in the top 10 many times but I can't figure out how to stay there...

If I get ranked in top 5 and add a shield....I slowly slip down one or two spots as (I assume) other players continue to get wins.

If I don't shield or take shield off anytime in the last hour of a challenge, I get attacked and get 2 to 5 losses in the time it takes me to play 1 match and get 1 win.

So what is the secret?

Comments

• HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    Climb early, shield above 900. Do shield hops for the rest of the event to get past the point where most people give up. If you can't get through 1 fight fast enough to put a shield back up without getting hit then you are going to have a really hard time getting into top 10.

Made Man I was shielded at 925 at rank 11. 7th through 16th place were 940 through 902. I did one fight to put me at 983 and shielded and finished in 7th. Results may vary depending on the slice you play in and who winds up in your bracket. I always see the top 5 players at 1200 plus but no one seems to care past that and top 10 seems very achievable.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    The slice you're in matters a lot too. If I get 1200-1300 in s4, I might be top 25. If I'm 1200-1300 in s5, then I'll usually be top 5.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Be more insane than 90% of the other players in your slice. That is literally it.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    What type of PvP brackets are you put in?
    Noob, t1 is generally 500
    Middle, t1 is generally 900 to 1200
    Vet, t1 is 2000+ slice 1, 3000+ s4

Depending on where you are differences in play.
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    The secret is...New England clam chowder.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Much like the above poster, the secret in my bracket is to score above 3000.

But even in my intense bracket, hitting above 1000 will generally get you top 50 or event top 25.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pick s2

Don't start event until 9 hours remain. Climb all the way to 950 points...shield for remainder of event.

That's it. Placement is best in s2 by far but there's less points so it takes quite a few 35 point matches but if you have time then it's doable...I do it all the time
  • zonatahunt
    zonatahunt Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Have no life. Period.
  • blargrx
    blargrx Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Swipe your credit card and whale your way to t10!

Seriously though, depending on your roster, you can late join an event and climb to 900+ for t10. A lot of it depends on the slice you jump into. Some are harder than others
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's relatively easy to bracket-snipe your way into Top 10, but alliances don't always appreciate that you ended the event with a low score.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    blargrx wrote:
    Swipe your credit card and whale your way to t10!

Seriously though, depending on your roster, you can late join an event and climb to 900+ for t10. A lot of it depends on the slice you jump into. Some are harder than others
    All the strategies stated depends on your roster. So technically it's back to the first point, swipe your credit card to top 10. Very rare a 3 star roster will make it even with shield hops. The whole pvp is broken/working as it should because it makes you spend money and that is the purpose of this game.