Constant attacks

Options
Unknown
edited November 2013 in MPQ General Discussion
Can anyone explain how the same person has attacked me 3 times in the last 15 mins? I have not retaliated against him and I have 100 less score than him. Any ideas?

Comments

• i've been attacked by the same person 7 times. i counted.

mind you, i was resting up for one giant push for 1000 so everytime his name popped up, i made it my personal goal to focus all my energy into his team. he had over 1000 points thankfully, so gave me a good little push towards my goal of 1000.
  • Im losing 50 pts every 5 min.. Its annoying. If u skip enemies u will find the same ones over and over. I got to 1006, then sign comes up, u lost 26 pts so... No reward. Now I am 855 pts lol.
  • haha i know i retaliated against you after you hit me on my push to 1000. in 20 minutes i dropped from 1006 to 902.

i'm waiting to see how far i drop after i go to bed.
  • You reach a point where every day, every tournament.. it's always the same people over and over
  • Vexed wrote:
    Im losing 50 pts every 5 min.. Its annoying. If u skip enemies u will find the same ones over and over. I got to 1006, then sign comes up, u lost 26 pts so... No reward. Now I am 855 pts lol.

Well if you didn't want to be attacked so much, you should have stopped attacking me ;p

I'm done for the night though, I got my hero points. Spidey would have been nice but I got knocked back down to 950 and I decided to call it.
  • ZzzWolph wrote:
    You reach a point where every day, every tournament.. it's always the same people over and over

Hmm, in your case that might be because there's a limited number of people willing to attack you. So it might be a good thing!

Honestly - and this isn't directed at you zzzWolph - I think that sometimes we forget that it's part of the game to attack people. If you climb to the top, then you are a target, regardless of what the underlying point scoring structure is. Because the whole point of the tournament is to score points by attacking people, and then to win it by having more points than everyone else.

So, while I agree that the system needs tweaking, I don't see how we can have any sort of structured PVP without people at the top being attacked by the people below them.

• Honestly - and this isn't directed at you zzzWolph - I think that sometimes we forget that it's part of the game to attack people. If you climb to the top, then you are a target, regardless of what the underlying point scoring structure is. Because the whole point of the tournament is to score points by attacking people, and then to win it by having more points than everyone else.

So, while I agree that the system needs tweaking, I don't see how we can have any sort of structured PVP without people at the top being attacked by the people below them.

Sure, it's part of the game and all, but some people take it very personally when they get attacked by me and make a big deal about attacking me at the end of EVERY tournament. The same 2-3 people always go after me in the end, regardless of if I've attacked them recently or not because they like to hold grudges icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif it's fine with me though because I always get the last laugh icon_twisted.gif
  • ZzzWolph wrote:
    Sure, it's part of the game and all, but some people take it very personally when they get attacked by me and make a big deal about attacking me at the end of EVERY tournament. The same 2-3 people always go after me in the end, regardless of if I've attacked them recently or not because they like to hold grudges icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif it's fine with me though because I always get the last laugh icon_twisted.gif

Ah, that makes more sense... I went through a period where it felt like I was in a personal grudge match with one guy, but that's calmed down now - and I bet each of us thought the other one was the bad guy!

Out of interest, are they attacking you when your score is high? If so, it might not be a grudge, but doing what the tournament rewards you for best.

I say this because when I'm pushing for points from a low position - if I start by making 20-25 point attacks, I'm risking getting retaliated for 30-40 points before I've finished. So it actually makes more sense, if the field is big enough, to start with 30-40 point attacks from the outset - this means upsetting less people, who have less to gain from retaliation. This is especially true if your team has less durability and needs to rest after making a certain number of attacks (this is my #1 reason for sticking with Wolverine 2*, and not levelling Ragnarok too far, I can tank with Wolverine almost indefinitely.)

But from the perspective of the person being attacked, it's "that lowbie hit me for over 30 points, why isn't he playing in his own pool?" The answer is, because he's trying to leave that pool and join yours.
  • This is gonna make me sound like such a ****.. but my points are always high icon_redface.gif I think it's a little of both though, they do it for their own gain, but also for my loss icon_evil.gif
  • This is just a theory, but I think that if you have a certain amount of defensive "oomph" in your deck, it's hard to sink too far back down.

Let's say that a tournament's been going for a couple of days, with the leaders at 800-900 and lots of people in between. You're playing something that's harder to target than Thor/Storm - say a higher-level Ragnarok/Spiderman team, and you are currently at 400 points after your first-day push.

It shouldn't be too hard for you to get to the top and score 900-950 points with that set up, until you run out of targets. Sure, from there, you're going to be bashed back down to 600-700 by the guys who started at 600+ and need to hit the big guys to progress. But once you are back down there there, most people are going to see your team, and see a Thor/Storm team that gives them the same points, and go for the easier pick. So you're still up 200 points from your previous start.

So, after a while, you fight your way back up the rankings, except this time you hit 1000 or so, and then get dropped to 800. And so, one, each time you progress a bit further and retain some of that ranking. The same logic doesn't apply to teams that are weak on defense - they can sink 200 points and still be just as easy to hit as the teams around them, so they sink another 200.

It's like the old saying: I don't need to run faster than the tiger, I just need to run faster than you.
  • Yeah... I got my push to 1000 done at 8:30 AM, left for church, got home at 11:30 to find myself back down to 700. Lost over 300 points in less than three hours on a Sunday morning...
  • I was trying to make the push to 1200.. It takes me 5-10 minutes to win a round and gain 15-20 points only to discover that I have lost 30-40 points to opponents who beat me while I was playing. so i am actually worse off. Very frustrating.
  • ZzzWolph wrote:
    This is gonna make me sound like such a ****.. but my points are always high icon_redface.gif I think it's a little of both though, they do it for their own gain, but also for my loss icon_evil.gif

I finally ran across you and the ladder last night. I was on a push to 1000 and I was cycling through anyone with less than 7 points.
  • morphy wrote:
    I was trying to make the push to 1200.. It takes me 5-10 minutes to win a round and gain 15-20 points only to discover that I have lost 30-40 points to opponents who beat me while I was playing. so i am actually worse off. Very frustrating.

i think there are natural blocks to these pushes...i hit 1100 and decided to try for 1200 maybe, then realized all my opponents were giving me 5-10 points, and opening me up for retaliations, that would surely push me down. so i'd have to win 3-4 and lose one, so 1200 seems out of reach currently.
  • Shuino
    Shuino Posts: 164 Tile Toppler
    Options
    forgrim wrote:
    morphy wrote:
    I was trying to make the push to 1200.. It takes me 5-10 minutes to win a round and gain 15-20 points only to discover that I have lost 30-40 points to opponents who beat me while I was playing. so i am actually worse off. Very frustrating.

i think there are natural blocks to these pushes...i hit 1100 and decided to try for 1200 maybe, then realized all my opponents were giving me 5-10 points, and opening me up for retaliations, that would surely push me down. so i'd have to win 3-4 and lose one, so 1200 seems out of reach currently.

I thought getting to 1100 was out of reach even, but you helped me just get over it Forgrim with a 27 point win XD
  • Shuino wrote:
    forgrim wrote:
    morphy wrote:

I thought getting to 1100 was out of reach even, but you helped me just get over it Forgrim with a 27 point win XD

hilarity, u retaliated against me earlier, and i used ur retaliation also to jump over 1100. i have a retaliation banked on you which i didn't use, cuz i thought u were heading for 1100 too. UR WELCOME hahahahaha
  • Shuino
    Shuino Posts: 164 Tile Toppler
    Options
    forgrim wrote:
    Shuino wrote:
    forgrim wrote:
    morphy wrote:

hilarity, u retaliated against me earlier, and i used ur retaliation also to jump over 1100. i have a retaliation banked on you which i didn't use, cuz i thought u were heading for 1100 too. UR WELCOME hahahahaha

HAHA that's great, the retaliation you have from me now is the one I used on you for 1100 XD
  • Kavel
    Kavel Posts: 85
    Options
    Hit 1000 and I'm bowing out. Not concerned about final ranking rewards really, so feast upon my entrails! (and thanks to anyone who recognized the 1K push and backed off a little this AM). I seemed to hit a quiet spot of retaliations.
  • I woke up this morning to 540 points. Are you tiny kittying me? I made it to 1050 before the slide began and lost 500 points, half my rating.
  • I made a horrible mistake. I was at 990, needed only 10 more for 500 gold. I was out of health and good heros, so i used my low level storm and widow to beat someone. I won, but I was hit for -61 points in the three minutes it took me to win. So, now I have this **** team representing me until I get some HP back.

I don't know why I bother. Lol