2 minute long Shield Intercepts...

Highdark
Highdark Posts: 75 Match Maker
edited December 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Normally a shield intercept is a 30 second long commercial which I don't mind. Gives me time to observe my surroundings, but this 2 min long **** is quickly making that pop up a nonstarter.

I am aware its optional. This is more a thread to see if anyone else is annoyed by the 2 min long product placements vs the 30 second one. Overall goal is to keep d3 to the short ones.

Comments

• Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Around Black Friday (I would say for about a week) I had got almost exclusively 2 minute adds for local electronic store. It was very annoying and I have skipped it on many ocassions (mainly when I had limited playing time I was choosing to do a node rather than block it for the commercial). Since then it got back to normal - 20-30 seconds is my daily dose now. I don't see the long ones anymore but I am affraid they will come back closer to Christmas break.
  • Dalbok
    Dalbok Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    It's definitely a selling point to becoming a VIP. You get the rewards without the commercials.
  • Marty17
    Marty17 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    Dalbok wrote:
    It's definitely a selling point to becoming a VIP. You get the rewards without the commercials.

Even so, but I still reckon it shouldn't be 2mins long. A minute tops.
  • Soma
    Soma Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    Marty17 wrote:
    Dalbok wrote:

Even so, but I still reckon it shouldn't be 2mins long. A minute tops.

Agree with this point. A minute seems to be the upper limit of tolerance for me. This seems to be the tipping point between adequate product exposure and annoying your audience.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    The ad length should be proportional to rewards if they aren't all equal length.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    It's common sense, that they would make the rewards proportional to the ad length.

I've had 15 second ads that give me 100hp.
    I've had 2 minute ads that give me 250 Iso.

Mess.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    TLCstormz wrote:
    It's common sense

Which has no place around here.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Meanwhile in VIP land...
    63323846.jpg
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll wrote:
    Meanwhile in VIP land...
    63323846.jpg

Meanwhile in the D3/Demi office they are happy to introduce new 5* and 3* over Christmas and maybe add a BossRush level of fun special event because the metrics are clear - people love what they do. Otherwise why would they pay big dollar for the VIP access?
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    At least you get a load of them - I get between one and four a day these days no matter how much I play. But no "local electronics stores" advertize in such a way so all the ads are for F2P games.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm almost never playing MPQ as a standalone activity. I'm usually either watching TV, cooking dinner, or standing around waiting for a kid to ask me a math question so they can complete their homework.

I'm also not that competitive. I would skip the things entirely if I were rushing for placement. Whether it's 30s or 2 min, it can destroy your endgame.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Longest ones I've encountered have been this week, and it is a trailer for Bladerunner 2049... 90 seconds?

Rewards have been 250iso and 25 HP, so... variable.

Unfortunately you don't know what's coming up when you hit that button to know if you should skip it or not.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Magic wrote:
    broll wrote:
    Meanwhile in VIP land...
    63323846.jpg

Meanwhile in the D3/Demi office they are happy to introduce new 5* and 3* over Christmas and maybe add a BossRush level of fun special event because the metrics are clear - people love what they do. Otherwise why would they pay big dollar for the VIP access?

$10 a month = big dollar...
    Forget the Benjamins, it's all about the Hamiltons, apparently...
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Looks like it's a YMMV situation; the longest I've experienced so far is 30 seconds when I've been paying attention.

I sincerely doubt they have any way of linking the ads to the proportional rewards. Most websites/games that use online advertising contract with one group that supplies the ad content and have no control over the ads displayed directly. They (D3/Demi) would have no way of knowing if you are being shown a 15 second ad or a 2 minute ad.

My guess is the code is something along the lines of "if ad shown, give random reward from table" and nothing any more complex than that for this reason.

2 minute ads are certainly undesirable though!