I should have known better...

bob554
bob554 Posts: 169 Tile Toppler
edited December 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I really really should have known better. By way of context, I'm not a big hoarder of tokens or CP, and I'm a 711-day player. Having said that......

I should have known there would be a new character release coming up. I should have known that there would be special events and vaults coming up, and I definitely should have expected that some sort of sale and to probably hold my 80 CP and keep accumulating until I saw what was on offer.

What did I do though? spent my 80CP with thoroughly underwhelming results (see viewtopic.php?f=7&t=39543&start=1800).

I guess the upside here is that after a quick preview of Thanos' abilities, I'm not too enthused about him to maybe I'm not missing out? How about you? What other 'oops bad timing' or 'damn I should have known better' moments have you had?

Comments

• notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    What do you think 80 CP would've gotten you? That is 3 pulls of latest legends. 5% odds. Very small chance of pulling Thanos, and at 1 cover, it still wouldn't have mattered. So don't worry, you didn't miss out. If you do plan on hoarding, go big or go home. 80 CP won't make any difference. Think 1k+ CP. More realistically, in the 3k range.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I spent over 1000 CP recently.. I don't regret it. There will always be changes, there will always be new characters. If you're not big on hoarding then why would this affect you?
  • bob554
    Fair point, it's not as though I spent a huge chunk and there were definitely small odds, it was just a moment that made me sit back and think 'hmmmm, probably could have done that differently', and the fact that I should have known that there were events coming up.

I guess it's a bit of an oops thread, I can delete this thread if so.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have no idea how you guys can hold onto so much CP for so long. Only time I hold onto more than 20 is when I want to buy out the last cover to a 4* I want.
    I just spend on those classic legendaries whenever the opportunity presents itself.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hoarded a little bit just to see how much I could get before the itch became too powerful. The answer was 200. Pulled 8 latest hoping to pull a Black Bolt for my 1/3/2 BB, got lucky with 2 5*s. 25%! Yay right?

Unfortunately, they were both 5trange and neither was yellow. Not that he's bad, just that now I have 45 5* covers and no one character with more than 6.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    I have no idea how you guys can hold onto so much CP for so long. Only time I hold onto more than 20 is when I want to buy out the last cover to a 4* I want.
    I just spend on those classic legendaries whenever the opportunity presents itself.

What is the point of wasting CP by having to sell covers I can't use? I currently have 23 champed 4 stars, 6 fully covered ones, 8 with 5 covers in one color (and thus might need to sell if pulling only one at a time), and the rest at around 3-9 covers. The champed ones, if I pull an extra cover, no big deal, but the 6 fully covered I don't have the ISO to max so their covers would be wasted, and same with the other 8 with 5 covers in one color, so 14 characters that would be wasted pulls until I get more ISO. I have 520 CP saved up. I would have more, but I need to spend a little every once in a while once my ISO builds up to around 150k so I can champ another 4 star. I will never progress into 5 stars as long as its random. I am not saving for 6+ months though.
  • I have no idea how you guys can hold onto so much CP for so long. Only time I hold onto more than 20 is when I want to buy out the last cover to a 4* I want.

It can be really difficult to not spend it, I must admit it seems to be getting easier after the first few days.
    It’s so counter intuitive, but (depending on roster) the game is forcing me. The chance of getting a useful 5* cover from the Classic pool is close to 0 for me and because there is such an idiotic policy with regards to swapping covers I’m forced to hoard big and spend it all at once on the Latest legends.

You can of course spend it immediately on LL, but because you never know when a new 5* will be added you have the risk that your 5* with 12 cover will be moved to the Classic pool and you’re screwed again.

Day 14 of my hoard: 16 LT and 492 CP
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was pulling tokens as they came but I've became a hoarded with the Tacos (even managed to get to 300 before 2 Peggy covers showed up in my vault). So now I hoard CP as well if I can, When I have hoarded over 1k CP Strange has arrived and now I have him at 4-4-3 (not all 1k went into his vault... but in hindsight all should have to get him maxed). That is one reason to hoard CP. You can get one 5* close to max if you do it. For the time being I relate my pulls to my ISO - if I have some spare I will pull to get 5* and not to be worried about 4*. But I have 16 championed 4* and 10 maxed covered 4*. So i am very hesitant to pull more covers. ISO flow is too slow (even if much faster than it used to be).
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards

There is no percent chance difference, hoarding just makes some people feel good.

unless you are in a mad dash to cover a specific new 5 star during an event token (when there is 1 singular new 5 in the pack with all other things being 4's), it doesn't make a difference at all.

They are aiming for 5's in this case, specifically new 5's

if you're like aiming for say OML or black suit spider man, well, pull as much or as little as you want.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Hoarding should be reserved for latest only. It's a detriment to classics, with each new classic the dilution reduces your chances of finishing any single classic. For example, with 8 classics, I need ~160 more pulls on average to finish a single 5*. When BB drops and there is a total of 9 classic, I will need an average 180 pulls. Which is probably more than i get generate before the next drop. Hence it's virtually impossible to finish a classic at this point.

Of course with a standard deviation of ~70, some good luck could have me at 13 covers in 3 pulls, odds of that... .00066% icon_cry.gif .... 7 was the minimum in 10,000 attempts to finish a classic
  • bob554
    after all this, the first Crash of the Mad Titan token I draw gave me a Thano5! lol RNG
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Know the odds before trying to fully cover a 5*, you should aim for 15+ covers as the colors may not be evenly distributed due to RNG.

Latest Legends Token: 5% chance x 20 pulls = 100% chance for 1 cover; 15 covers = 300 pulls
    Classic Legends Token: 1.9% chance x 53 pulls = 100% chance for 1 cover; 15 covers = 795 pulls = 19,875 CP
    New Featured 5* Token: 10% chance x 10 pulls = 100% chance for 1 cover; 15 covers = 150 pulls = 3,750 CP

Please note:
    * Classic Legends chances get worse with each new 5*
    * Pulling 300 from Latest Legends will cover all 3 of the latest 5* characters
    * Having just 1 fully covered 5* isn't going to make you #1 in PvP
    * My suggestion is to save up LT and CP until you can pull 300 tokens from Latest Legends, then fully cover 3 x 5*s
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    notamutant wrote:
    What do you think 80 CP would've gotten you? That is 3 pulls of latest legends. 5% odds. Very small chance of pulling Thanos, and at 1 cover, it still wouldn't have mattered. So don't worry, you didn't miss out. If you do plan on hoarding, go big or go home. 80 CP won't make any difference. Think 1k+ CP. More realistically, in the 3k range.

It's actually 3 pulls from the Purple Reign with 10% odds. and even at 1 cover of any, he does decent damage. I wouldn't put him on a 5* PVE team, but he could do some decent damage in PVE.