Just how casual ARE the casuals?

DFiPL
DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
edited December 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Just started playing The Hunt, having joined the slice about 12 hours after the slice started.

By the time I entered the first sub, I was ranked 980th or so. Apparently I got in at the back end of a bracket instead of the start of a fresh one. Anyhoo.

After finishing the three one-off goon nodes, I'm now ranked 390th in the sub. That's literally all I've done.

That's almost 600 people who entered the bracket and apparently have done less than THAT?

Comments

• notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Depends on what SCL. In the higher SCL, I would guess some people are joining a bracket to let their alliance know if its flipped or not, and have no intention of playing.
  • DFiPL
    SCL7. Hadn't considered that.
  • Figure15
    Figure15 Posts: 284 Mover and Shaker
    SCL8 requires perfect play which I am not willing to devote myself to. For the same effort for t25 in SCL8 I place t5-10 in SCL7. Plus isn't the progression difference really minor?
  • DFiPL
    edited December 2016
    PPS -- SCL 7??? Why? Always go SCL 8 on PVE is you qualify, unless going for placement. The sub and ally rewards are worth it.

My Ghost Rider needs a green or a red to reach 13 covers. Figured I'd try for a late-join fresh bracket and push for T10, so I dropped down to SCL 7. icon_e_biggrin.gif

Didn't work out how I was hoping. If it had, I might have championed Ghost Rider next event!

Oh well. When you gamble, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Players make fake accounts and flood the slice with these accounts to fill them up.. icon_lol.gif

I have experienced this too. It almost makes no difference when you join PVE now unless you are a T10 player. Otherwise just doing the normal 4-6 clears will still land you T100 even if you enter late. I don't notice a difference with SCL7 or 8 with this either.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    PPS -- SCL 7??? Why? Always go SCL 8 on PVE is you qualify, unless going for placement. The sub and ally rewards are worth it.

I've been choosing SCL 7 over 8 lately because, without about the same amount of effort, I can make top 100 in each sub each day, instead of -maybe- making top 300, and I can place in the top 50-100 instead of top 500.

The vault token every day instead of just a heroic token is definitely worth it to me, and the elite token output (3 per sub from alliance placement) is the same, as far as I can tell.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor

I dunno. Being able to hit T50 in each sub at SCL7 to me is a lot better than being relegated to T200 or worse in SCL8. Particularly since I'm still trying to accumulate enough HP for slots to get a full 2* farm going.
  • Aidonis
    Aidonis Posts: 87 Match Maker
    I couldn't tell you the last time I place in a pve event. I simply don't have the time. And I average $30/month on this game. I pay the subscription fee and usually a twenty on top for rostering costs.
  • shadowyoshi
    shadowyoshi Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    If I'm not intending to play a PVE at all I still join in the highest level. Don't join and the alliance rewards are SCL1 instead of SCL8. That's a big difference.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    73 casual players started to type out a response to this post and stopped partway through.
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    73 casual players started to type out a response to this post and stopped partway through.

So much truth to that.

I consider myself casual, because I'm not competitive. I do my 4 clears of every pve sub, and sometimes a bit more, to make sure I get all the progressions rewards. And I've taken to going to a lower sub and doing mild pvp, so I can get to 575 for the CP and still usually get a couple 3 star covers.

Guess that doesn't really sound casual. Maybe I just have too much time on my hands.
  • Natsufan01
    Natsufan01 Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker

So much truth to that.

I consider myself casual, because I'm not competitive. I do my 4 clears of every pve sub, and sometimes a bit more, to make sure I get all the progressions rewards. And I've taken to going to a lower sub and doing mild pvp, so I can get to 575 for the CP and still usually get a couple 3 star covers.

Guess that doesn't really sound casual. Maybe I just have too much time on my hands.

I think it's just more apparent with shield clearance levels. We're subdivided even further now, so the competitive people aren't clumped together as much.

I clear each node 6 times more often than not, sometimes more, sometimes less. I finish top 50 nearly always, and even top 10 sometimes. In pvp, I get to 900 and stop. The 10 cp at 575 makes it less worth the effoet to shield hop those last 300 points. Even with all those, I get top 25 sometimes, top 50 others. I consider myself competitive, but not auper competitive.

The top 25% or so are probably like you. Play a bunch, but only as much as you want. Top 10% of players are closer to me, put in that extra time to get some better rewards, but aren't willing to schedule the day around it/or put too much money in. Top 1% are the heavy spenders or people who have a lot of free time, either no job (or a job that let's them play frequently), no kids or both. The top 0.1% are the super whales.

Anyone under the top 25% of players more or less plays casually with no goal in mind, just killing time. They couldn't care less what they get, it's just a fun game to play.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    [snip]

Yeah, I wouldn't call that casual icon_mrgreen.gif . Casual is not equal to not competitive :p.
    This event I joined at CL8 as usual, but I noticed after 4 clears of the easy nodes I was still ranked about 700ish icon_eek.gif instead of 200-300ish.

I usually go for the 4* progression cover (pretty much all PVE here). Even that much can feel like a day job. I used to go for max progression sometimes as well, but i have the impression they raised the requirements for that since the beginning, i'd swear it only used to take at most 4 clears of each sub to hit the max, but that doesn't seem to cut it anymore.
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    How casual I am:
    Playing only on Steam.

PvP
    Ligtning rounds - maybe 2-3 a season. I hardly ever bother with them, since I'd rather play regular events.
    Shield Sim - 17-2k in the last few days
    Other PvP events - mostly skipping them lately, my 3* roster isn't strong enough and I'm mostly facing enemies that make going past 500 points pain in the ****, so I don't bother at all.

PvE
    Hard pass on all 7 day events.
    Playing only in few heroics, since I'm limited by my roster (no 4* champs).
    Mostly skipping events with lame rewards (like the Hunt, rewarding black Gamora covers when she is already at 5 black, can't and don't want to champ her any time soon).
    Boss rush events - scaling usually eliminates me around round 3-4.
    Even when I play an event, I won't do optimal clears (hello Steam version and/or other rl stuff), max out on 4 clears on hard nodes, sometimes go for full 6 on other ones, but rarely, usually 4 clears and stop. That lands me 100-150 in SCL7 (can't access SCL8).
  • Yoik
    Yoik Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    I think that my style is casual. I will do all nodes in an event 6 times. No real plan to it, I just do them as and when I have time ( Kid depending ). No optimum play at all. Some days I can sit there for a couple of hours in an evening and some days I can only play ten mins at a time ten times a day.

On PVP my alliance min is 800 which is easy enough especially if you time it right. E.g. 300 in the first 24 hours. 600 in the next 12 then the last hop at the end. ( Wife depending )

Reading the above it does actually seem a lot and is always ( family dependent ). Non casual to me would be optimum play in PVE and 1,200 plus on PVP each time. I have been playing for more then 3 years so I guess my roster would make the above easier then most however I've arrived at my roster strength through time lapse over the 3 years gradually building up and not from intense play.

Its how you want to play at the end of the day. Life depending.......
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    The main reason i choose cl7 is for the t50 sub hp. My normal play puts me 20-30 in cl7 and 60-80 in cl8. The hp allows me freedom in all the 100hp daily deals I can find. And when my 3s approach 260, the hp will start going towards slots.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    As someone who is casual, but plays more than an average casual person does when i actually engage with the game, the biggest issues that likely causes people to do that is ,tedium, roster strength and life itself.

Clearing the same thing in a game 4 times isn't something i thought to do and wasn't something i knew i had to do until I read it on the forums.

At lower roster strengths while scaling is lower, you damage and abilities are pitiful. imagine fighting bullseye with 1 star hawkeye and storm and iron man as your strongest. Now do it 4 times

Around the mid point of the game you have to decide to chase all the rewards or figure out whats worth it. You can grind for multiple hours a day (contrary to popular belief of those who don't look at the clock as they grind, clearing a sub does take more than 30 minutes) that new singular cover of spider gwen is nice when you have 12, but not so nice when you don't even have the HP to roster her

There's also those of us who use this as a casual break and when home would rather play other games when they are available, leading to less clears.

Personally unless the rewards are awesome or useful I'll skip events so I burn out less.

4 clears is boring to me, and some events I'll just enter so I can get the 2-3 star tokens from my alliance rank.

Due to not the CL I enter, but the timezone I live in, the 11pm slice is one of the most popular from what I see, so clearing 4 times can be anywhere from top 20 to top 200 depending on when I enter the event.
  • Pessi
    Pessi Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    I've often joined events late into a slice with 900+ and finished top 100 without issue, even in SCL8. My theory is that people see its quite full and give up and just hit the CP nodes. Personally in a slice like this, just hitting every node 4 times can often result in top 100 or top 50.

The slice I had for the Hulk, joined 24 hours late, 950+ in slice, ended with top 100 sub doing sub optimal clears due to xmas parties/work.

Works for me
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    As a rule, I play about 1 clear of a sub, maybe every other day. Occasionally I'll fight for the extra CPs in the two hardest nodes. This is usually good enough for top 300.

I play PvP once in a while, to about 200 points, if I play. I tend to only bother if I see an event that's about to end, and I can snipe them, so this is often good enough for top 50, but even if I join early it's good enough for top 200 usually.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well. I may not have given 8 a fair chance. Only tried it twice and that's a pretty small sample size. My hunt bracket flipped 2 hrs before sub end. 9 are playing optimal. I'm a little off perfectly optimal and then there's a 1500 pt drop. I might t10 without killing myself. No chance at that in 8, but a bit more iso. This is just gr but a champ level is a champ level.