The Irony.

cubnad
cubnad Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
edited December 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm still in 3* land, have all but 6 champed. In the Hulk PvE just passed dispite only finishing T10 in 3 of the sub events I some how managed T10 overall in SCL8. With the exception of when I first started and was in noob brackets this is one of 2 T10s I've managed.
Now I do every 4* except Drax but most have less then 5 covers. However I do have to 2 charaters with 2 covers with 5. Of course 1 of those is icon_nickfury.png and yes you guessed it that colour is of course purpleflag.png. So not only will I have to sell the cover I earn in the next PvE but I also have to sell the extremely hard earned T10 reward too. The yellowflag.png did bring my Nick to 1/2/5 so there is that.
Final thought after months of reading on the forums about people complaining about having to sell dup covers for 4*s and 5*s I've gotten my first taste and it tastes unpleasant.

Comments

• Kjempen
    Kjempen Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    Some people hoard, some people open everything. I open everything. Even if it is a cover I don't need, it's at least XP (which boosts my rank) and potentially a champ level or 1000 ISO (to level up a 4* or a 5*). As you near 5 covers in one power on every 4* character, almost every LT or top 10 reward from PVE/PVP will be either 1000 ISO or a champ level. I've accepted this now, and don't feel so bitter, but if it wasn't for the Shield Rank system, I would probably have given up now. Just think about those who pull 5* dupes (I imagine it's a much worse experience).
  • Berserk_Al
    Berserk_Al Posts: 411 Mover and Shaker
    I think of it as a kind of milestone. Right now I have most 4stars with just three or four covers, so once I reach the point where I have to sell a 4star cover because I already have 5 of that color, it will remind me of how much I have advanced.
    I really hope the first time it happens to me, it will not be with one of the characters I have the least covers for, and not the single one I have right now with 5 covers in one color, because that one is Devil Dinosaur and it would mean I have pulled few 4stars since here to the next anniversary.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think you need to look up what Irony is.

It is not disappointment at an expected and predictable setback.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I had simular bad taste yesterday. I haven't champed any 4*s, I'm just dipping my toe in that land. Currently I have all the 4* but Agent Venom and number of covers crossing the gammit from 1 - 10. I only have 5 4* covers that I could get that wouldn't be usable. Yesterday on the Nova vault I got the red color which is one of those 5. I chose not to spend any HP in that vault, so I didn't get a cover I had to sell, but I guess you could say I got a wiff of what causes that bad taste, it turned my stomach a bit.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Eddiemon wrote:

I think it's a bit of a stretch, but I would call his situation slightly ironic.

Irony - a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.

Because he has so few 4* with a 5 cover (2/129 or 1.5%) the event of having to sell a 4* could be called ironic, especially in that it's has a some what dark amusement to it.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well regardless of what kind of irony it is and how ironic it actually is, it does suck. All you can do is grin and bear it.

I too am of the "open them all" philosophy (I think I managed to stockpile 30 taco tokens once) and I've just learned to accept that some of the 4* covers I open won't be usable and will be converted to iso.

There are definitely days where it feels like all I get are covers for the four 4* powers I have with 5 covers and not the 100 powers I have that still need them, and those days are definitely sad.

Don't have any 5*s with max covers on any powers yet so I haven't had to endure that heartbreak yet. In theory I should be able to manage without breaking down into tears. In practice... I guess I'll find out.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    This is as ironic as an Alanis Morissette song. This is in itself its own irony.
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 703 Critical Contributor
    broll wrote:
    Eddiemon wrote:

I think it's a bit of a stretch, but I would call his situation slightly ironic.

Irony - a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.

Because he has so few 4* with a 5 cover (2/129 or 1.5%) the event of having to sell a 4* could be called ironic, especially in that it's has a some what dark amusement to it.

I think we can all agree, however, that it sure isn't like RAIIIIIIIIIIIN on your WEDDING DAY.
  • UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 402 Mover and Shaker
    There is a significant difference in having to sell a 4* cover you can't use or champ, as opposed to a 5* cover. It's not impossible for a 3 -> 4 transition player to get their hands on some 4* covers. In the last year and a half, they've made it a lot easier to get your hands on 4*s.

I started this transition last summer - pre-SCLs, pre-championing, even pre-Crash. At that point, you either had to luck out on a heroic token, get above 1k in PvP, or absolutely luck out in PvE placement. But since then, they've added:
      Vaults (Each token opened slightly increases the chances of getting the 4*) Legendary Tokens A handful of events where you get a guaranteed 4* for clearing the last node Crash of the Titans (a few of which are winnable with low covers) Command Points Championing Dropping the PvP 4* reward level down to 900 Shield Levels Progression 4* cover rewards in PvE at SCL 7 and above

Some of those are harder than others, yet, but it is possible. But for 5* covers, there is only one way to get them, and that's through the mercy of the RNG. To date, I've had to sell two OML Black and three Silver Surfer black. It irks me greatly. The Max Punisher and Moon Knight covers dying on my vine don't bother me, I'll see them again soon enough. But selling a 5* cover when you don't even have all three colors for that 5* is unacceptable.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    There is a significant difference in having to sell a 4* cover you can't use or champ, as opposed to a 5* cover. It's not impossible for a 3 -> 4 transition player to get their hands on some 4* covers. In the last year and a half, they've made it a lot easier to get your hands on 4*s.

I started this transition last summer - pre-SCLs, pre-championing, even pre-Crash. At that point, you either had to luck out on a heroic token, get above 1k in PvP, or absolutely luck out in PvE placement. But since then, they've added:
      Vaults (Each token opened slightly increases the chances of getting the 4*) Legendary Tokens A handful of events where you get a guaranteed 4* for clearing the last node Crash of the Titans (a few of which are winnable with low covers) Command Points Championing Dropping the PvP 4* reward level down to 900 Shield Levels Progression 4* cover rewards in PvE at SCL 7 and above

Some of those are harder than others, yet, but it is possible. But for 5* covers, there is only one way to get them, and that's through the mercy of the RNG. To date, I've had to sell two OML Black and three Silver Surfer black. It irks me greatly. The Max Punisher and Moon Knight covers dying on my vine don't bother me, I'll see them again soon enough. But selling a 5* cover when you don't even have all three colors for that 5* is unacceptable.

While those efforts are a step in the right direction please acknowledge that if you have 0 4 star covers, to begin with or even 1 of each, they released bi weekly this year as well.

So it got easier to obtain SOME SORT of 4 star cover while it got SIGNIFICANTLY more difficult to fully cover any 4.

having 40 4 stars at less then 3 covers is useless compared to having even 4 at 10+ covers.

To top it off
    vaults are incredibly expensive
    the crashes that involve invisibility are beatable with a low covered character. 4 out of 42. (howard, miles, ms invisible and prof x)
    champing provides 1 4 at 20 3 star covers and then about 60 after that. it is not reliable for transition
    the pvp reward still isn't consistently viable without champed 4's, because with the lowered of those scores came the lowering of total scores all around. the 575 10 points is a nice addition however.

Everything else I agree with though, it's just that this problem is more complex then slap more random 4 star covers at the issue.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    I think the irony would have been if you sold Miles at the increased resale price to champ someone and the LT you got from that was another Miles. That seems a little more ironic although it actually be pretty useful if you are a collector. Maybe you also sold Miles to open a roster spot for someone you had recruited? No, the increased resale price is enough to open another slot.
    Irony would be using Mystique's infiltration to create purple so you can use Kamala Khan's purple to make green. But that purple gave Red hulk enough to siphon all your green away. Thats probably the most ironic thing I can think of.

As for selling 4*s, its pretty common. I had prof x at 0/5/0 for a while before I ever had a 4* champ. Recently I got 2 x23 greens in a row that I have at 5/1/2. I have a couple 5/5/2 guys that will be stuck that way forever it seems. So I am pretty used to it. Every cover I sell in the back of my mind I am thankful I don't have to spend 2 weeks trying like mad to get tons of iso.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    GurlBYE wrote:
    So it got easier to obtain SOME SORT of 4 star cover while it got SIGNIFICANTLY more difficult to fully cover any 4.

Not sure I agree with that. A year ago my highest-covered 4* was about half-covered.

Heck, as recently as August, I had a pair of cats at 10 covers and nobody else with more than 8.

At ths moment, Star-Lord, Nick Fury, and Jean Gray are champions. Thing has 13 covers, but is not yet a champion. Captain Falcon is hanging out at 12 covers. Deadpool is hanging out at 12 covers (though I think I'm going to try to save the CP to buy him his 13th before the 3* Deadpool drops an otherwise useless red in a month or so). Ghost Rider, Invisible Woman, and Hulkbuster all have 12 covers - and Hulkbuster had fewer than 6 covers as recently as August. Cyclops has gone from barely on my radar to 8 covers.

Would I agree that fully covering a *specific* 4* remains difficult? Certainly. But, again, I have 9 characters at either 12 or 13 covers, when four months ago I had two characters with as many as 10. I had 13 at half coverage 4 months ago, and I have 21 at that point now.

There are days when it sure doesn't feel like it - especially when I open an LT and get my 11th Professor X purpleflag.png while he's still without a yellow - but my 4* progress in the last four months has absolutely DWARFED everything that came before.

And there's a valid point to be made that maybe 4* availability prior to 4 months ago was flat terrible, but the current environment really is night and day on that front.
  • Irony = 1. the opposite of wrinkly 2. Something that contains too much ironman, i.e., that spiderman movie teaser seemed a bit Irony to me.
  • GurlBYE
    DFiPL wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:

Not sure I agree with that. A year ago my highest-covered 4* was about half-covered.

Heck, as recently as August, I had a pair of cats at 10 covers and nobody else with more than 8.

At ths moment, Star-Lord, Nick Fury, and Jean Gray are champions. Thing has 13 covers, but is not yet a champion. Captain Falcon is hanging out at 12 covers. Deadpool is hanging out at 12 covers (though I think I'm going to try to save the CP to buy him his 13th before the 3* Deadpool drops an otherwise useless red in a month or so). Ghost Rider, Invisible Woman, and Hulkbuster all have 12 covers - and Hulkbuster had fewer than 6 covers as recently as August. Cyclops has gone from barely on my radar to 8 covers.

Would I agree that fully covering a *specific* 4* remains difficult? Certainly. But, again, I have 9 characters at either 12 or 13 covers, when four months ago I had two characters with as many as 10. I had 13 at half coverage 4 months ago, and I have 21 at that point now.

There are days when it sure doesn't feel like it - especially when I open an LT and get my 11th Professor X purpleflag.png while he's still without a yellow - but my 4* progress in the last four months has absolutely DWARFED everything that came before.

And there's a valid point to be made that maybe 4* availability prior to 4 months ago was flat terrible, but the current environment really is night and day on that front.

My hulkbuster has personally sat without black for the past year, and still remains that way, at a nice even 8/0/2

When we use RNG nothing is guaranteed and anecdotes are just personal tales not a path to progression.

I've had at least a cover of carnage, thing, jean and iceman since release events, none are more than half covered outside of Carnage and he's at 4/0/9(maybe 10)
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    GurlBYE wrote:
    My hulkbuster has personally sat without black for the past year, and still remains that way, at a nice even 8/0/2

When we use RNG nothing is guaranteed and anecdotes are just personal tales not a path to progression.

I've had at least a cover of carnage, thing, jean and iceman since release events, none are more than half covered outside of Carnage and he's at 4/0/9(maybe 10)

There's some more irony. You dismiss his example as a personal anecdote, and not to be used in support of his argument. Then to counter his point, you use...a personal anecdote.
  • GurlBYE
    Spudgutter wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:

There's some more irony. You dismiss his example as a personal anecdote, and not to be used in support of his argument. Then to counter his point, you use...a personal anecdote.

Well no, there's no irony, just a misunderstanding on your end,

So I'll clarify.

Neither of our stories are something that are guaranteed to be emulated and are both the result of the topic at hand, so neither can be relied upon. There are best and worst case scenarios, not clear paths to progression,

which we'd all strongly prefer. My story is no LESS dismiss-able then his. They are both us sharing our story. We'd both benefit from more clear paths, him having more champs and me having a fully covered 4 a long with other players. To help, note the usage of the word WE instead of YOU?

Does that help fill in the blank?
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    GurlBYE wrote:
    Does that help fill in the blank?

So your argument is that you had no argument, you are just speaking into the void? Someone posts on the internet, and you have a different opinion then them, so you have to respond? But then come to find out you agree with them? No, it doesn't fill in the blank.

Let's back up a little. You were replying to a reply. Let's look at your original statement. "it got SIGNIFICANTLY more difficult to fully cover any 4." This is my favorite thing i see on this forum, the use of a hyperbolic, declarative statement of opinion being passed off as fact. And by favorite, I mean it grinds my gears. Sure, it has gotten statistically more difficult to fully cover a 4*, but that varies on your play level, spending habits, alliance participation and many other factors. I, like others have mentioned, are of the opinion that it has gotten better. So, you make that statement, and someone replies to counter that. You reply to that counter, and i'm the weirdo for seeing the WE (your use of all caps, not mine) was a counter point and presume you meant another opinion being passed off as fact again?
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    GurlBYE wrote:
    DFiPL wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:

And my Professor X is 5/5/0 and has pulled more purple covers than I care to count. My Iceman is 0/5/3 and his next champion reward is going to be another blue.

I have another five 4* who have 5 levels in one power, and their other two powers are equal to or less than that (5/2/1, as an example).

I'm not quibbling at all with the idea that maxing a *specific* 4* remains difficult. Clearly, when you're at RNG's mercy, you take what you're given.

My point is that since champions became a thing I've gone from no 4* being more than barely half covered to three champions, a fourth who CAN be championed, and five more at 12 covers. Did I have any control over which characters got those covers? Of course not. Are there others I might have chosen instead? Certainly.

Is it indisputably the case that I've gone from having one character at 7 covers to nine at 12+ without buying 10/40 packs, without playing to 900 in any PVP, and with the vast majority of the CP I've earned to open Legendary tokens coming from reaching progression in Story events?

Yes. I've seen clear 4* progression in the last year, and most of that in the last four months, just by playing story events.

We all have our sob stories about how specific characters just won't give us the covers we want; I could go on about Professor X yellow, Iceman green, basically ANY covers for Peggy, and for a while there all I was pulling for Invisible Woman was her green.

But there is a difference between covering a specific 4* and progressing with your 4* roster in general.

Except that my "anecdote" specifically describes my path to progression: champion rewards from my 3*, CP spent on LTs from Story play, and, as I've increasingly been able to complete them, Legendary Tokens from the Crash of the Titans. This isn't just random manna from heaven that got me a quarter of the game's 4* at 12+ covers. Just playing the game has gotten me there in the last 12 (but especially last 4) months. And, yes, some of my very favorite 4* remain undercovered relative to where I'd like them to be, and that's RNG for you! But covering characters in general is much easier than it used to be.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Morissette's Progression: Three things will happen, in order, when one mentions irony...

1. Someone will correct one's usage.

2. Another person will correct the correction.

3. A third person will reference that song.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Morissette's Progression: Three things will happen, in order, when one mentions irony...

1. Someone will correct one's usage.

2. Another person will correct the correction.

3. A third person will reference that song.
    But how often will someone point out that the song isn't what it purports to be...?
    https://youtu.be/nT1TVSTkAXg