Personal opinion on recent event objectives

Options
James13
James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
edited December 2016 in MtGPQ Events
Hi all. As it says in the title, this is just my personal opinion.

I find the current event structure to be highly stressful. It's decreased my enjoyment of the game.

Rapid fire events. The stress of going for high scores with exceedingly awkward objectives. And to top it all off, I did get a perfect score last event, but wasn't top tier because I didn't wake up at 4AM in the morning. And this is apparently the cutoff every single day now.

I'm sure there are others out there that disagree. But I just wanted to provide my own feedback here somewhere.

1) Slow down. Rebuilding event decks every single day is too much.

2) Adjust objectives. Specific ones I'm finding more luck-based and stressful are:
- Both instances of green can only ever summon two creatures (green is a creature color...). Red under 5 turns is difficult, but actually does fit the color theme, but I think the window here requires perfection. [Other two Emrakul objectives I think were great... required strategy, but didn't require luck.]
- Black must end with under 20 life. This took a VERY long and hard time to set up and was contingent on the opponent not having a sudden last turn spike. I got it, but made me wish I was doing something else.
- Blue take 10 or less damage. I think the blue and white objectives should be switched. Blue is elusive creatures, white is about protection.

Thanks for allowing me to share my thoughts here.

To sum up, the main reason I'm posting is that I found these to be a turn off and sapping my desire to play.

Comments

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Too many of the current objectives are luck-based.

I lost the blue objective because the Ob Nixilis deck I was paired against cast Oath of Liliana on turn one and reinforced it on turn three. I lost the green objective because the turn after I reinforced the one creature I had on the board, my opponent cast a kill spell and that was that. I didn't even bother with the black objective because I decided it was more important to ensure I complete the actual win than risk a spike at the end, which has happened to me more than once, and get nothing.

I made it through the white objective just fine, but that still could have been ruined if I were competing against a deck that runs a lot of kill spells, and even with my fastest red deck, it still took me six turns to win the match. I get that they're trying to break the 75-way ties for first, but these objective could be based on skill more so than luck, or maybe even getting you to play with mechanics other than what is currently dominating. Like they could have made a red or black objective that says you have to win without summoning any vampires basically as a way of saying stop relying on Olivia for everything.
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Actually almost every objective is luck based. The ones which were design based are - do not play more than x spells, x supports, x kind of creatures, do not kill more than x creatures.

Regarding Olivia hate - the same can be said about some other mystics - deploy the ggatewatch, Ulrich, exert influence and so on.

What bother me is some goals are much easier to do with low level planeswalkers on points. I wish I hadn't lvl them up - for example black objective is autogain using 1 lvl pw. For 60lvl it's just boring waiting till you are hit enough with full uneasy hand. For green node - the same - just use one hexproof creature and you are set (runaway Carriage I'm pointing at you). Again 60lvl it's more complex.
    (controversy is that on previous event was 60lvl goals set - have more than x life).
    I understand that creating good goals is time consuming but community can support development in that matter.
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    Options
    blues spells limitation can be accommodated with the right
    substitute cards. eg anchor to the aether can mostly be
    substituted using something like reflector mage.
    there are very few substitutes for not being able to
    summon more creatures.
    if d3 has trouble with the choosing of objectives they
    can have a random coalition to submit entries. eg
    the 100th rank coalition gets to choose the objectives
    for the next event.

HH
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    hawkyh1 wrote:
    blues spells limitation can be accommodated with the right
    substitute cards. eg anchor to the aether can mostly be
    substituted using something like reflector mage.
    there are very few substitutes for not being able to
    summon more creatures.
    if d3 has trouble with the choosing of objectives they
    can have a random coalition to submit entries. eg
    the 100th rank coalition gets to choose the objectives
    for the next event.

HH

Even then low number of creatures isn't a bad objective, but it's an objective that should be placed on a red node, not a green one. Additionally if they're going to set the number that low, they need to fix it so that imprison in the moon and turn to frog don't count as you summoning a creature, unlike how they do currently.

Also my Olivia suggestion is more because while mythics are powerful, I see her in play far more often and hear people say "oh I just pound through all the nodes with Olivia" far more than I hear discussion of most any card, implying that she's probably over powered, even for a mythic.
  • Azerack
    Azerack Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I agree with most of this and quite honestly when I set up my decks they are not built so I CAN take damage, it's to PREVENT it.

So I can't quite see why a Black deck's objective would be to get down to almost defeated before winning. Usually those are rounds where I just had a bad hand and the AI cascaded 10x more than I did. icon_lol.gif

That being said, if they wanted to have a "Alternate deck" option for the Planeswalkers to allow for switching between events or quick battles, that would be okay-ish?

But basically, just thinking that I could use some actual logic behind the bonus objectives before I thought they were feasible.
  • jackvett
    jackvett Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Judging from a conversations in a couple slack channels, posts here and on reddit, it seems like there's some problems with some of the secondary objectives.

1. Overlap of "must summon werewolves" and "you can only summon 2 creatures" results in majorly unfun gameplay if you don't own the best green burn spells (hint: it's fevered visions in Kiora). Also the fact that a single imprisoned in the moon/turn to frog will randomly ruin your perfect scores is pretty feelsbad. I tried holding 1 werewolf in hand till the last possible second, only to have my frog token (previously a werewolf) be turned into a moon. felt great /s

2. "destroy less than 2 enemy creatures" gets messy when you consider tokens that kill themselves, i.e. G2 tokens, akoum stonewaker tokens, etc. Wording should be either revised, or coding revised to not count self-kills. Playing a G2 deck that has no event-specific cards, in which you will lose points anyway to the loyalty ability.....extremely stupid

Concerns about the frequency of events aren't relevant to this topic and should be redirected to a new thread...
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Challenging objectives are important to break up the top of the ladder. The current objectives are not only challenging, but generally fast to either meet or fail, which is also good. Although there's some luck involved, the luck factor can be reduced by deck crafting. So I actually think d3 have done well here, and the current objectives closely resemble ideal objectives.
  • Monkeynutts
    Monkeynutts Posts: 566 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I completely disagree Volrak. The objectives have to be achieveable and not by pure luck that you cascaded or ur opponent in the event stopped cascading.

It's just pure luck based. The OGW part 1 on atm is stupid as hell.

Inventer of Truth...kill 3 creatures or less of ur opponents......!!!???!!!
    You have to do this or you can't get enough points to get the KLD Rare as the last prize.
    The opponent spits out really good creatires and wrecks you. Kalitas, Sire of Insanity, Ayli, wasteland strangler and oblivion sower for example. You have to kill them, but because of the stupid objective you don't and end up losing if you don't kill them.

If you dont have the white prison your pretty much screwed.
    Making doing these tedious event really frustrating rather than fun anymore.
  • Monkeynutts
    Options
    Actually having wasted lots of tries on this i'd go so far as to say its impossible. Kalitas kills his own zombies and ayli's activate 1 kill the first creature he controls which counts also against you !!!
  • Volrak
    Options
    Actually having wasted lots of tries on this i'd go so far as to say its impossible.
    Well, I just won this match killing zero of the opponent's creatures, let alone 3. This was on the first attempt with a deck crafted specifically for that objective.

It certainly may be impossible for your usual decks to achieve the objective. But I think a big part of what makes this kind of event fun (for me, anyway) is the need to solve the puzzle of the challenges via deck construction. Deck crafting was also a key point of my previous post; I'm repeating it again.

I do have a small gripe about the current OotG event, which is that it really may make achieving all rewards impossible without a reasonably strong collection. As I said, I think challenging objectives are really good for breaking up the leaders in events, but I think they're less suitable for events where a perfect score is needed to obtain basic rewards.
  • Monkeynutts
    Options
    How many $30 mythics in ur deck?
    Post it up
  • Volrak
    Options
    None. I'm F2P. Here's a hint: you just need to gain more life than the damage you take
  • Monkeynutts
    Options
    Yes. Tried with Sorin.

I can win the round. Thats not the issue. Its doing so before he kills a 4th of his own guys. Kalitas and Ayli hurts and you cant return them to the hand or library or turn to frog as that counts too
  • Volrak
    Options
    Bounce should be fine, but yeah, not frog
  • kinomoto
    Options
    It's not impossible. I killed one Kalitas before I realized it's better to just leave them on the board. The rest of the match the opponent had 6 cards full of mana in hand. I used Nahiri with some lifelink creatures. One mythic in the deck which I got from the mythic packs.
  • Monkeynutts
    Options
    Yeah i had kalitas a zombie and frog against me until he killed the zombie?
  • tm00
    tm00 Posts: 155 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I didn't bother trying but you can probably avoid the luck involved in your opponent not having turn to frog and friends if you don't cast creatures until the last turn and follow their casting with some gameending burn.

Beaten inverter with my standard ob deck without even removing the vamps, I had a behold the beyond as one of the two mythics however( the other was a metalwork colossus that I avoided casting like the plague for obvious reasons.)
  • AettThorn
    Options
    I finally figured out that bounces don't count as kills, and went with my Jace2 deck, which is all about token creatures and bounces. Still took a hefty amount of damage, but because he didn't wipe out black gems, I was still able to get mana pretty quickly to cast Roil Spout, Clutch of Currents, and Rush of Ice to hold his creatures at bay. Used the land elementals and thopters from Thopter Spy Network (the only mythic in the deck) as my offence.
  • Monkeynutts
    Options
    Its so specific and stupid its frustrates the hell out of me. And the rare will be some duplicate jank....

Just got hom down to 12 hp and i was on 52 with Nahiri and he casted ayli. Had another go. Tagged her activation orb, killed her creature then had a third go. Casted 2 remorselss punihsments on a cacade and wiped my board...

What a crock !
  • Monkeynutts
    Options
    Omg....Maintenance. i was actually about to win. The objective and it crashes for maintenance.