You're drunk, RNGesus, go home (glitch in the Matrix thread)

monsieurmojo
monsieurmojo Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
edited December 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Inspired by the works of unco_dan and JVReal, this thread is meant to celebrate, bemoan, or just ponder the absurdity of those little quirky outliers that RNG gives you.

For example, I just pulled three standards in a row and got star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_spiderman.pngpurpleflag.png -- star.pngicon_storm.png -- star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_magneto.pngyellowflag.png

I don't know what the odds of pulling two 3* characters out of three standard pulls is, but it has to be low.

Comments

• Pulled 66 of 80 out of hulk vault and no 4* or leg token. Silver lining is my 10 pack pull tomorrow should be awesome, unless RNGesus decides to be a tinykitty
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Last weekend I pulled two IW yellow in a row, and it is the second time that I have pulled two consecutive IW yellows.

To make things even weirder before pulling these two IW I pulled two 5s, both the same, and the first time it happened it was even the same color (IM46 yellow)! Seriously what are the odds ?????????
  • drag0n41
    drag0n41 Posts: 86 Match Maker
    Mercalla wrote:
    Pulled 66 of 80 out of hulk vault and no 4* or leg token. Silver lining is my 10 pack pull tomorrow should be awesome, unless RNGesus decides to be a tinykitty
    I decided to try a 10-pack for my Hulk vault as 2 of the 3 4 star.png were useful. First three shown was.
    token_legendary.png
    4 star.pngicon_thor.pngredflag.png
    icon_moonknight.pngblackflag.png
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    I once pulled 3 Green BSSM in a row and then went on a full season drought.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    I was actually going to post something about this....

I really think that, sometime around the anniversary, the drop rates on standard tokens were tweaked to increase the chances of a 3* drop. It's anecdotal evidence at best, but I open a lot of standard tokens, so it's not a small sample size....

Pre-"change", the drop rate for 3*s was pretty predictable -- it was about one 3* for every couple hundred tokens. In 600-700 days of play, I had gotten maybe 4 or 5 3* drops from standard tokens. (And one 4*, once, long ago....). Since then, in about 150 days of play (give or take), I've gotten about 9 3* drops from standards. I don't think that's statistical variance... that's an underlying change.

It seems that the 3* odds may have gone from something like 0.05% to something more like 0.5% or maybe even 1%. But, of course, we'll never know the subtle mysteries of the standard token....
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pulled two Classics across the day. Both were purple. Both were Captain America. Stop trolling me Mpq.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    RNGesus can turn water in whine. No wonder he's always drunk and we always whine.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Careful the MPQ stat pumpers will quickly come to defend their god, RNGesus.

Only token that I have gotten 3strange from is standard tokens. Well, one from the spiderwoman vailt, but standards built 1/3 of my character for me.
  • metallion
    metallion Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    A couple from my tracking of pulls:

First run of Strange Sights in October gave me 25 event tokens, I pulled 2*s in 24 of them (only 3* was a Quicksilver)

Power Gem Season yielded 16 event tokens, I pulled 2*s in 15 of them (and the only gold cover was a Prof X which I already have maxed)

My last 7 5* pulls from LTs have been icon_blackwidow.pngicon_jeangrey.pngicon_jeangrey.pngicon_blackwidow.pngicon_jeangrey.pngicon_blackwidow.pngicon_jeangrey.png . It's like my LLs only have Black Widows and my CLs only have Jeans. Would it hurt to add some covers to a character that is not Jean?
  • Darknes21
    Darknes21 Posts: 321 Mover and Shaker
    RNG sucks! Would rather see a 5* for every 15 pulls.... current on a 1-24 5* run. Prior to that I was 0-36 on 5* pulls
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2016
    every morning i usually get 3 elites. every morning i pull 2 of bullseye/hawkeye/ares (the 3 2* i keep permanently and don't farm) and something else that probably doesn't help much.

in fact, just used the elite i got from best friends and pulled... wait for it. a hawkeye! with all the 3* and 2* to choose from you'd think it'd be a wee bit more random.

well i knew this was coming. my wasp is currently 0/5/1. just pulled a wasp from an heroic. you'd never guess what colour it is. c'mon, try to guess!
  • like1tiger
    like1tiger Posts: 76 Match Maker
    I'm on a run with 2 star black widow. I had 5 blue covers to rechamp her I have pulled 13 blue covers and only 2 purple and one black.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    CT1888 wrote:
    Pulled two Classics across the day. Both were purple. Both were Captain America. Stop trolling me Mpq.
    Pulled a couple of 4*s from LT's, then another purple today. Another Captain America.
  • KinDM
    KinDM Posts: 72 Match Maker
    Last night playing the BFF event, I got rewarded with 13 2* covers. One hawkguy, one widow, and 11 red moonstone covers. I couldn't believe my good luck.
  • Shmoe50
    Shmoe50 Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    Pulled 4 consecutive 1* Storms from Standard, right after pulling 3 straight 1* IMs.
  • bpcontra
    bpcontra Posts: 176
    Every Tuesday I pull a 5*....my clan can confirm. Thank you RNGesus