Soft capping during 3-4* transition?

Mr Bacon
Mr Bacon Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
edited December 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Long time lurker, first time poster - so I tried to provide all the details up front, sorry for the long(er) post...

Firstly, I love the advice and help the community has provided me over the last 430 days, so thank you MPQ forum community!! You've saved me a ton of headaches and given me advice and strategies that have made this game so much more fun!

TL/DR:
    - all 3*s champed (except Spidey & Sentry) - starting 4* transition, have a 14th cover for 4Thor - Do I champ her or sell the cover to not mess up MMR?

I'm starting the 3-4* transition and wanted to ask other people who have far more experience for their advice. Aside from Agent Venom, I have at least 1 cover in every 4*. All 3*s are champed except Spidey & Sentey. Early on, I spent CP to open Classics, but lately I've been hoarding and spending the 120 CP on individual covers. I've "bought" 3 covers (1 red/blue for 4cyke, 1 red for 4Thor). I fully understand that this means I'm getting 1 cover for every 6 (or 5 on Latest), but I've just accepted that if I want exactly what I want, I need to pay for it - and I'm ok with that.

My question is that now that I'm getting into the (early stages of) 4* transition, is it better to soft cap my 4's or will championing one or two begin to mess up my MMR? When I went from 2* -> 3*, I soft capped and only max leveled when I had a solid group of key 3*s and max leveled them together. Do I use the same approach for 4*?
    - I currently have a 4Thor that is 5/3/5 at level 188 - In my rewards queue, I have a 2* Storm cover for my level 114 Storm. After leveling up to 115, this will give me a 3* Storm cover - My 3* Storm is 182, so that next 3* Storm cover will give me a 4Thor cover - Should I save up all ISO, champ 4Thor, and get a 271 4Thor?
- Or.... do I sell that 4*Thor cover for ISO because championing will screw up my MMR?

Play style: a mix of PVE & PVP. Aim for the final 15 cp in PVE; 650 in PVP. I find 2* and 3*s during the early climb, then it is 3* teams or 3* and one 4* to get to 575. This is usually where I call it quits, no shield and place in the 100-200s. I've tried for 900 in PVP and have hit it half a dozen times or so but I don't feel my roster is there yet to hit it consistently.

I like running 4Thor (188), IM40 (201) and either: BB (now that I pulled his black), KK or whoever is the required character. So the champ 4Thor would get used a lot.

Roster: full roster in signature, but here are the better covered (and leveled) 4*s.
    - IW: 188 -- 3/5/5 - 4thor: 188 -- 5/3/5 - 4cyke: 188 -- 5/2/5 - HB: 188 -- 5/3/4 - XFW: 172 -- 5/4/2 - Ice: 172 -- 5/1/3 - Peggy: 172 -- 3/1/4 - Thing: 168 -- 5/5/2 - Jean: 152 -- 2/4/3 - PX: 140 -- 5/5/1 - Fury: 120 -- 3/5/3
I also have a few unleveled 5*s that have multiple covers:
    - BB: 255 -- 1/1/1 - IM: 255 -- 1/1/0 - GG: 255 -- 1/0/2 - Banner: 255 - 1/1/1 - OML: 255 -- 1/0/1

I enjoy hitting 575 in PVP without any trouble. Max progression in PVE is generally my goal (depending on the required 4*). I don't want to screw things up and make these goals harder - at least not until I have more covered & leveled 4*s.

For those who are farther along in the 4* transition, or have completed it and are in the 5* transition - what would you do?

Your advice and help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Edit: added 3* champ progress for clarity - all are champed except Spidey & Sentry.