PSA: The recent event could store 3 charges

Options
Irgy
Irgy Posts: 148 Tile Toppler
edited December 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
In amongst all the complaints about the panharmonic con that was the progression reward, I'd like to give some positivity and thank the devs for finally making one of the biggest quality of life improvements that events needed.

The event started with 2 charges, but allowed at least 3 total charges (a friend of mine has confirmed 3, for all I know it could be more) to be stored. The nodes began charging at the start of the event whether you were online or not. In fact even if you hadn't even joined the event yet! This meant you had an entire 8 hour window within which to play your first game without losing any potential progress. This is huge for anyone who's asleep, or at work, or otherwise indisposed at the event start time.

Of course it would have been nice to know this, but now that we do know that's great.

It breaks my heart that this excellent improvement may end up associated with, or potentially even blamed for the progression/duration failure. Please keep this improvement, and in fact please do this for all future events. You can fix the progression issue by way of the total duration. My advice would actually be to entirely scrap the whole "boss hp" based variable duration system. It adds nothing whatsoever of value, and serves only to mess up our planning and even evidently you own (the devs') as well.

Comments

• Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    1) I've already some people complaining about the node recharges getting in the way of playing more event games

2) yes this was a great improvement for people like me who now no longer need to stay up late.
  • wink
    wink Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I agree--starting off with nodes only partially charged was great! Thank you for listening to us on that front.

Also, thank you for listening to us that we wanted progression awards to go up to the end of the event. I can see you tried for that in Fateful Showdown. Similar to Irgy, I worry that this improvement will get overlooked by the miscalculation of how much health the boss had so that the progression awards went *past* the end of the event instead of *up to* the end of the event.
  • Irgy
    Irgy Posts: 148 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:
    1) I've already some people complaining about the node recharges getting in the way of playing more event games

They can easily fix this by having more charges to start with but then also more total capacity (yes I'm stating the obvious but I want to say it anyway).

Though personally I quite liked the 3 games every 8 hours. It motivated me to play the game but didn't suck away all of my free time the way the Avacyn event does.
    wink wrote:
    Also, thank you for listening to us that we wanted progression awards to go up to the end of the event. I can see you tried for that in Fateful Showdown.

The progression rewards are going to be tight for the old events that have been changed to 24hours now too. I see this as a good thing. It's kind of depressing playing on for rank when you're finished the progression (even if the progression rewards aren't something I even want), more so if you've bombed out of ranking with a loss but are playing on for the coalition.

Fateful Showdown was a different sort of a thing because you can infinitely retry the games until you get the points. I don't think it's unreasonable to require maximum points in that setting.
  • LoVe1AnGe
    Options
    The only 2 charges while the 3rd start refresh at event start is probably cool for players who can't start in time as u explain it.

But imo 8h is way too long to play 10 min event and close phone.

4h could be a better move. Like that u got 12h before u'r charges are complete and u still need play 10-30 minutes before wait refill again.

When there's an event I want play it. Imagine u get a lose and u want get u'r revenge cuz u modified u'r deck to get u'r win. Well wait 8h bro... Very much too long.

In that case they understand that some players can't play at start of event, so why donot they understand that all European players can't start and end QB correctly ?

It's a good move from devs, but don't realised correctly imo.
  • holli
    holli Posts: 33
    Options
    The good thing about the 8 hours is, when you cant play at work or in the morning. You hae the opportunity to play all charges in the Evening.

I understand people complaining about this long recharge time but i like it icon_e_wink.gif
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    There is however the drawback. The nodes are recharged for everyone at the same time. Which means (especially with Avacyn like events) that the life of boss drip down periodically. (was about 16-20% per recharge). The effect was that if I wanted to be competitive and get the rewards I had to clear the nodes as fast as I can in the last stage to not see 0% if hp having full nodes.
    As the effect (in current event) if the event last longer to get progression I would have to stay awake till 2am my time and then clear the nodes.
    This is the sane problem as for qb for nob-usa players.
    Please - instead of workarounds like partially charged nodes just split events and qb for timezones!!!
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Szamsziel wrote:
    There is however the drawback. The nodes are recharged for everyone at the same time. Which means (especially with Avacyn like events) that the life of boss drip down periodically. (was about 16-20% per recharge). The effect was that if I wanted to be competitive and get the rewards I had to clear the nodes as fast as I can in the last stage to not see 0% if hp having full nodes.
    As the effect (in current event) if the event last longer to get progression I would have to stay awake till 2am my time and then clear the nodes.
    This is the sane problem as for qb for nob-usa players.
    Please - instead of workarounds like partially charged nodes just split events and qb for timezones!!!

This event was flawed because of a lack of hp for the boss.

It's not a problem with the node recharge. The recharge was supposed to actually ease the problem you're talking about.
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Actually it is. It make it not so restricted on the start of event (you can start whenever you want, recharge is the same) - but make more punishing on the end of event. For a fixed time events it is fine, for hp ones - not at all.
    BTW it actually didn't change much - for fixed time you need to quickly complete nodes on the last refresh to be in top;)
  • watman
    watman Posts: 64 Match Maker
    Options
    Was it even possible to get full 450 ribbons in this event?
    I got around 400ish, if I remember correctly (got all the progression rewards except the last), losing only 15 total - and the recharge counter was on for me when the event ended... I would definitely miss the last reward even if I cleared all the nodes with all the side quests, but I'm not a maths god, so, do we have any info if anyone managed to clear the progression rewards?
  • Rootbreaker
    Options
    watman wrote:
    Was it even possible to get full 450 ribbons in this event?
    I got around 400ish, if I remember correctly (got all the progression rewards except the last), losing only 15 total - and the recharge counter was on for me when the event ended... I would definitely miss the last reward even if I cleared all the nodes with all the side quests, but I'm not a maths god, so, do we have any info if anyone managed to clear the progression rewards?
    No, 420 was the max, given when it ended.
  • alextfish
    Options
    Yep, this event did lots of things right.

* Starting with the nodes not full is a HUGE improvement - many thanks!
    * 6 hour refresh time is a definite improvement over 3 hours.
    * Secondary objectives with synergy with each other, so it's perfectly possible to achieve them both; while still needing some deck construction finesse

I think the devs do need significant credit for these improvements. Also personally I like the shorter event duration; 24-36 hours is much preferable as far as I'm concerned rather than 2-3 days.

I'd just have liked to have enough time to actually reach the promo card at the end of the progression rewards. icon_razz.gif Set a minimum duration on the event, and we're sorted.
  • Hibernum_Will
    Options
    Thanks everybody! To add to the PSA, nearly every event we have running will start with nodes partially charged icon_cool.gif
  • losdamianos
    losdamianos Posts: 429 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Thanks everybody! To add to the PSA, nearly every event we have running will start with nodes partially charged icon_cool.gif
    Thank You for giving us our sleep back icon_cool.gif
  • nexus13
    nexus13 Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    Options

If this is not going to be true of every event then you had better make it very clear beforehand that an event is going to be different. A large number of players would be very mad to find out that you swapped an event back and that they are suddenly not competitive because you didn't communicate that an event started fully charged and they lost possible points.
  • gulgoth
    Options
    In guessing the exception will be events where you don't actually charge nodes, ie everyone gets x matches at start and no recharge.
  • Ampmp11
    Ampmp11 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Options
    Can we get confirmation on how many nodes get stored for Nodes Of Power? I see that there was only 1 and there should be 2 more coming before the end of the event. Can I wait til the end and do all 3 charges for a node later or does it only store 1 charge or will it store all 3 charges or just 2 charges?

I would like to use Nahiri for this challenge but she doesn't come out until tomorrow morning.
  • powda
    powda Posts: 4
    Options
    I would have to say that with all of the negative changes this patch brought - and it's my very first patch, ouch - this was one of the most beneficial. Starting events with less-than-full charges makes the game far more accessible to a wider audience than the hardcore players who do nothing but play this game nearly all day. Perviously, the events catered to a somewhat specific type of player who watches the game like a hawk to start the event the second it opens and then plays VERY fast decks to get the most out of their recharges. The game will stagnate if all you have is 'Red deck wins' type rush decks.

Congrats on a positive change with this latest patch. I hope you take the opportunity to listen to the community for further improvements.
  • gulgoth
    Options
    Ampmp11 wrote:
    Can we get confirmation on how many nodes get stored for Nodes Of Power? I see that there was only 1 and there should be 2 more coming before the end of the event. Can I wait til the end and do all 3 charges for a node later or does it only store 1 charge or will it store all 3 charges or just 2 charges?

I would like to use Nahiri for this challenge but she doesn't come out until tomorrow morning.

I didn't think Nahiri would come out until after events over.