Forum thread

aesthetocyst
aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
Forum thread

Comments

• revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Great and eye-opening stuff as usual aesthetocyst.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    You're going to get SCL 5 rewards nerfed
  • blargrx
    blargrx Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    fmftint wrote:
    You're going to get SCL 5 rewards nerfed

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif exactly what i was thinking
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    Well, you convinced me to try SCL 5 in the PvP off season. It's been interesting so far, since at SLC 7 I was having trouble getting to even 575 because there just weren't enough targets even above 500, and in SCL 8 I could get to 575, but not a lot higher, because of the beat down I would get as a result.

It's still only day 1 of the event, but I've managed to get to 500 points, into 2rd place, and just hung out there. It actually feels like it would be easier for me to get to 575 and above now, even if it'd be just a ton of low point battles to get there.

We'll see how it holds up in the next couple days. It would be nice to get a bunch of 3* covers instead of one or two 2* covers.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    How do the numbers change if you spend your Chart-Makin' Time PvPing instead? icon_lol.gif

(I kid because I love. Great stuff, and highlights some issues with the current CL reward distribution. I was just wondering earlier today if CL5 was the way to go for me.)
  • fanghoul
    Well the point wasnt to say SCL 5 was the coolest so lets all go there icon_lol.gif ... The point was exploring a way to determine which SCL would offer a player the best ROI. And that answer will vary.

Certainly, SCL 5 might not be the best for everyone, but your post inspired me to try shooting low.

By coincidence though, I also decided on SCL 5 icon_lol.gif
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think I have the energy to do all those brain things. I will, however, sit here and make sweet love to your beautiful charts.

You sexy animal, you.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Deep down, I'm hoping this is all a ruse by aesthetocyst to bait people into lower SCL so he can do better in higher ones icon_lol.gif

Seriously though, really interesting stuff, as always. Thanks for sharing.
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 728 Critical Contributor
    Woohoo - I love me some spreadsheets, thanks for doing all the hard-work. I had some fun with this.

I played around with my individual placement %s, though I found that very subjective as I've been only CL7 since CL8 came out.

I changed the progression set-up. My transition 4* roster isn't making 800 regularly so I adjusted rows 21-24 to be for 575, 650, 725, 800 & 825 prog instead (575 to 849 is my spread the majority of the time, could have added more but trying to limit the rows a little). Also my slightly larger variance on prog compared to aesthetocyst's +/- 100, meant I also added in % estimates for the prog rewards to get a CL prog total to add in to the end total, rather than a fixed line. I don't think this changed things much!

I also added in some subjectivity into covers. I see that this argued against in the prior thread in favor of pure objective ISO, but personally there is more value in covers than ISO. 2 & 3* covers give me champ levels, champ rewards and XP. 4* & 5* are covers I covet and therefore carry most weight. So 1* are 1:1 (they are just ISO), 2*s are worth 10% more, 3*s are 20%, 4* and 5*s are 50% (add this into cells J4 to N4). This in turn affected the token ISO equivalency.

Both these things didn't really do too much to the overall results, but felt good to do and the numbers where all there asking to be played with!!

In the end all is pointing me to CL8, assuming my guess on placement %s are close. My personal gain is very close from CL6 to CL8, ~8500 to ~8800, that's close to negligible for me. That means the guaranteed increase in rewards from the Alliance as you increase CL is for sure worth it. My Alliance scores go from 2926 @ CL6, 3642 @ CL7 and 4165 @ CL8.

One of the differences from my spread to aesthetocyst seems to be that I'm more conservative with my placement at the lower CL. My points are lower so that makes sense. That means as a middling scorer who is rarely going to see top 5 even in the lower CLs, you're best to go as high as CL as you can.
  • fanghoul
    Just came in 5th place in SCL 5, which netted me a lot more rewards than I'm used to getting in PvP icon_e_biggrin.gif

There's more experimenting to do with this, but the idea of playing in SCLs other than 7 and 8 has proven sound to me.

Some additional thoughts:
    I'm not completely convinced that coming in 5th is always going to be repeatable for me, since Peggy Carter is one of my strongest characters.

I'm not a top tier player at all, so playing in a lower level enabled me to actually compete for the top ranks with people that have similar or just slightly better rosters than I have. I'm used to being hopelessly blocked out from almost any amount of points above 575, and a rank above 50th place, but more typically someplace above 200th, since it's just not worth shielding. Playing in a lower rank enabled me to climb higher, and to get more rewards, even if some of them weren't as good. The extra HP from progression is definitely a bonus for someone that's still struggling to get enough roster slots. I also got a net HP profit from shielding, which is new for me.

Since I'm part of a PvE alliance, I'm also not missing out a huge amount on the alliance rewards. Compared to what I typically get from an alliance in that's in 100-250th place, I only miss out on 2000 Iso, which is well worth the additional 3* covers I got from my personal rank.

This could interact in an interesting way with the new season. Since your season SCL and your individual event SCL don't have to be the same, I may aim stay in SCL 7 for the season, but play individual events at SCL 5 or 6. I should get more points at the end of each individual event, and that would net me my best end of season rank yet.