**** to WOW... Mythics

JanksMcJank
JanksMcJank Posts: 62 Match Maker
There are some mythics you cannot deny.
Harness the Storm is just a badass card for red.

Then there are others that you get and you're like:
WOW, a mythic!! Aright... umm, ****?

Ranking:
  • **** - just a pointless card. Maybe used for filler until you get something good.
  • WELL - Middle of the road. You may keep it in a deck until you find something amazing
  • WOW- I think this is left to cards that you build a deck around, or have amazing synergism other cards.

If this hasn't been done before, maybe we can compile a list of duds and a quick analysis if they're totally FUBAR or if there are hidden qualities we're missing.

Is there a better way than a list to format this? Like a table?
  • Archangel Avacyn WELL/WOW - This seems more on the edge.
    manawhite.pngWELL this seems a little expensive and it's powers activate for one single round. In fact, since it allows everyone to block, but prevents damage, it also prevents her from transforming as retaliation. Plus in a straight white deck the only benefit of a creature dying may be to clear some space... or have Avacyn transform.
    manablack.pngmanawhite.png I can see a low grade WOW. So many ways to kill your non-angels for fun and profit icon_e_smile.gif
  • Archangel of Tithes
    manawhite.pngWELL... It's not bad, but it doesn't seem to pop. Filler until you get something good. A little pricey for white... but you could end up getting 6 mana a turn if you're being overrun.
  • Harness the Storm
    manared.pngWOWWOWWOW This just synergizes with Spells, red spells especially. Lay this out and you have a constant rotation of Greatest Hits popping back up in your hand. The destroying gems is a mixed bag. Sometimes it kills your supports. Sometimes it triggers matches which start to load up your new spells.

This may synergize well with Vessel of Volatility, but I'm not enthusiastic with spending a slot on a support I get penalized for casting more than once, then hoping I can get a match or randomly have this gem destroyed. Seems like a long-shot for a card slot. Maybe if I had a secondary benefit for discarding cards.
  • Nahiri's Wrath (not in decktester yet)
    • 8 mana, Discard 2, deal 6 damage to opponent, then all opponent's creatures
    I was sold on this being a WOW until I recently obtained Harness the Storm, which downgrades my opinion of it. Anything that gets you drawing cards after you start casting queues up your newly drawn cards in the 2-discard slots.
    manared.pngWOWWELL - I go back and forth. At first I thought it was lame losing two cards for this. Then I realized, they weren't a cost, but an effect. If you have no cards, you can still cast it. In general you can arrange your cards and disable this one so that it doesn't cause havoc with your hand.
    manared.pngmanablack.pngWELL you get a bit more opportunity to synergize with Madness cards that benefit from discarding. Still not great.
  • Tree of Perdition (not in decktester yet)
    • 1/13 DEFENDER. When it takes damage, your oppenant takes the amount of total damage the tree has taken (max toughness - current toughness
    manablack.pngWELL. I don't see any obvious synergies in black. But I'm fairly sure Reinforcing it would bump up that "max toughness" (13, 26, 39, etc). I'm not sure if Supports or spells that permanently raise the toughness count, but if they do, I can see a deck based on creating a buffed out tree and getting it to take damage without dying.
    manared.pngmanablack.pngWOW, I can see using spells that deal stupidly low damage to this creature. Avacyns Judgement, Dual Shot & Fiery Impulse
    Maybe supports can help with the "max toughness" and a few creatures in red/black can likely help out.
    Update: Added to my Sarkhan deck and got to use it. Exquisite Firecraft (6), Dual Shot (7+8), Dual Shot (9+10). Thats 6+7+8+9+10 for 40 damage. He still had another 12 or 13 damage left in him, but I killed my opponent icon_e_smile.gif
  • World Breaker.
    managreen.png****... even with the returning to your hand (match 5 on green isn't as difficult), I don't see anything exciting. The price point is too high and the abilities are just all over the place.
    Might have been a solid WELL, but the name just shoved it over the edge. This is not anything that should be called World Breaker
    I feel like this one should have played a Sad Trombonewhen I opened it... and later got duplicates of it.

I'll update my list if anyone schools me on uses I'm not seeing and add some more if there is interest.

Comments

• khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,077 Chairperson of the Boards
    You may want to take a look at this thread for adding more cards to the list.

https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=56160
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    First off, Decktester is now defunct. Use beta.mtgpq.info instead now. It's superior to decktester anyway.

Today was the first time I saw World Breaker used effectively. You need Greenwarden of Murasa and Evolutionary Leap though. You can reinforce it something fierce, then h have it immediately return to the battlefield after bashing into your creatures, destroying supports in the process.

With that said, I love the idea of this thread, and would love to see more card breakdowns.
  • JanksMcJank
    JanksMcJank Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Mainloop25 wrote:
    First off, Decktester is now defunct. Use beta.mtgpq.info instead now. It's superior to decktester anyway.

I'm sad to see Deckster defunct icon_e_sad.gif
    but at least we have an alternative icon_e_smile.gif
    Mainloop25 wrote:
    Today was the first time I saw World Breaker used effectively. You need Greenwarden of Murasa and Evolutionary Leap though. You can reinforce it something fierce, then h have it immediately return to the battlefield after bashing into your creatures, destroying supports in the process.

Wait a second. When you reinforce a card (which is like casting it again), it actually registers as you having cast the card and places it into the graveyard?

Let me get this straight:
      1. You should have
    Evolutionary Leap in play first
    1. You have World Breaker in play before Greenwarden to take the first slot.
    2. You have Greenwarden of Murasa in play second, so it's not in the first creature slot.
    3. You reinforce the first creature, World Breaker, making it 10/14.
    4. Opponent kills World Breaker
    5. Greenwarden of Murasa returns not 1, but 2 World Breaker's into play?

wow. That's for Greenwarden of Murasa by itself.
    Then you add in reinforced instances being returned... wowow

Not sure that this highlights World Breaker so much as the other two. World Breaker did well here, but any creature with an ability would do well here.

Thanks for the Evolutionary Leap Tip.
    So technically if you don't have Greenwarden, just a Reinforced World Breaker, and it dies, you'll have two World Breaker's in your graveyard? So match 5xGreen and you have two in your hand now?

I can't wait for a Green/Black PW.
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Think you got the idea wrong. Reinforcing a creature does not create copies of it in the graveyard. If you cast a second World Breaker from hand to reinforce your first one, both cards are in play until the World Breaker dies, at this point both copies go to the graveyard. Reinforcing through other means (Evolutionary Leap, Mirrorpool, etc.) does not create an additional copy of the card in your graveyard.

World Breaker will always be before an unmodified Greenwarden of Murasa in creature position as it has Reach while Greenwarden has neither Defender nor Reach (the two attributes which could allow it to stay in front or jump ahead in position). So World Breaker will replace Greenwarden for first place unless you had cast Mantle of Webs or some other similar spell on Greenwarden.

What Mainloop25 was talking about was Greenwarden resurrecting World Breaker whenever it dies. Since World Breaker is a berserker it will keep smashing into enemy creatures until it's dead or the opponent board is clear (excluding Flying Menace/Unblockable creatures). Flying creatures will be blocked by its Reach.

And as it come back it takes out another enemy support plus the 5x5 destruction. So you want it to keep doing that. Meanwhile, Evolutionary Leap allows you to make a bigger World Breaker through reinforcing it, which boosts its damage and board clearing speed (less turns to take out a big creature).

Also Greenwarden only ressurects 1 unmodified copy of the creature, regardless of how many reinforcements or buffs the creature had before dying. Any additional copies of the resurrected creature goes to the graveyard.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    What span_argoman said.

Of course there are better cards than World Breaker to take that slot; Gaea's Revenge being the obvious one. But I was just offering a way to make world breaker viable, though still not great.