Allow 1 star characters to be promoted to champions

Connall83
Connall83 Posts: 2
The whole concept of champion promoting is awesome however the 1 star characters can't be promoted, what gives???????

Comments

• Skrofa
    Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
    I am guessing it's because their covers are sooooooooo easy to get...
  • monsieurmojo
    monsieurmojo Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Skrofa wrote:

Definitely this. You could theoretically cycle through 1* champion levels in a week if you're hitting LRs and PvP.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Skrofa wrote:

Definitely this. You could theoretically cycle through 1* champion levels in a week if you're hitting LRs and PvP.

Is that a bad thing? 2* champs take 2-3 weeks to cycle. You certainly don't want to give the 1* tier the same rewards. I wouldn't think they'd earn CP, but 2* equivalent covers, and maybe a heroic token at the end and some HP sprinkled in to progression. Make the Iso neutral and it's basically the same thing, and it encourages purchasing more roster slots. Seems like a win for D3.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Once i made a thread about promoting 1*s viewtopic.php?f=8&t=46234 (keep in mind there are 2 color and 3 color versions of 1*s)

Anyway, i dont see a reason why we could not have this feature. With championing system, 1*s turned from useless covers into total garbage useful only for DDQ (i have Juggernout level 20 and i am completely fine with it).

With the amount of 1*s in game and their poor potential, i think there could be championing for them as well, with these elements:

- at least two 2*s as a promotion reward
    - 10XP for championing, 1XP per promote (at my level i need 2200 XP to get 30K ISO, that means 1xp is equal to 15ISO)
    - At least one heroic token as promotion reward
    - At least 25HP as promotion reward + 25HP as sell price of fully champed hero
    - absolutely no CP from promoting process

And about that "rarity" argument. Well, promoting 1*s should help primary begginers. Sure, older players have tons of 1*s. Selling all of them is weird. Yeah, they are useless, but why? Shouldnt we encourage players to keep them anyway? There is still huge lack of ISO and i think champ system for 1*s could help a bit with that (of course not the way we would be buying common tokens to profit).
  • Teskal
    Teskal Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    Just give no reward for champ 1*. I would be happy if I can champ them and make them more useful...

Maybe only reward could be on the last champ level for selling it.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    What part of championing do you like that you'd like to be able to do with your 1 star.png s?

The free respeccing? I guess that would be nice, although there's only 3 1 star.png characters that would benefit from that anyways

The boosted level cap? Even if you could get Iron Man up to level 100, how good would that actually be? Not to mention that the champion system would need to be adjusted to account for characters that can't have 13 covers (or they'd have to release 3rd abilities for all those characters)

The champing rewards? Considering how plentiful 1 star.png covers are this seems highly unlikely. No reward could be small enough (unless it's less than the 100 iso8.png you could get for selling the thing) that the "correct" play would be anything other than instantly starting a 1 star.png farm.

I'm ok with not feeling obliged to roster another 7-8 characters that I will never use except for a (tiny) trickle of resources. I can see how it would be appealing to brand new players who have just gotten attached to their 1 star.png roster and are now being asked to move on. Maybe the real solution is to release a 2 star.png Iron Man so that you don't have to leave him behind. (in before "Not another variant?!")
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    You'll be finished with 1*s after a few weeks at most, then you'll never want to think about them again (except for IM or Juggs, plus MBW's blue TU).
  • Actually I would like to see no cap on what level 1 star characters could reach.
  • I agree that the 8 one star characters everyone is able to get should be ranked up to champions as they lose their hype once they reach Lvl 40 or 50. We as players want to see more out of these characters. I personally want to see this in Juggernaut most of all considering he is one of the most powerful beings in the Marvel Universe yet he is stuck at such a low level. We want them to be as exciting to play as as the rest of the characters.
  • I would definitely like to be able to champion my 1* characters. They are fairly useless in the game other than 1 daily event. Let's have the ability to be able to make them better and maybe useful.
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    Here are the reasons why champing is a fun/good thing:
    * champing should provide the player with rewards geared toward helping them progress to the next level of play
    * champing should provide the player with slightly better versions of characters at their current level to help them transition to the next phase while the new characters are getting finished.

Those kind of go hand in hand.

Champing has an origin somewhat rooted in history...
    The level caps for characters used to be lower. Back in the day:
    2* characters started @6 and topped out @85
    3* characters started @15 and topped out @141
    4* characters started @30 and topped out @230

The reason cited for the level bump was that there wasn't enough perceived reward in progressing. Lots of people found maxed out 2*s to be easily competitive enough to still win matches against 3* teams. So they raised the levels to make those matches a little trickier and help people see the value in progressing. It was a solid idea, until dilution became an issue. Back then it was, relatively speaking, somewhat easier to cover a 3* character because there we a lot less of them. Their feature event ran more frequently so you could win them more often, and they had a higher odds rate in any given token. but now you live in a world where there are so many 3* characters that someone could wait a very long time to get some of them usable (let alone up to 13 covers). So - enter champing - to slightly help soften the blow. Now I can field a team of champed 2*s and better hold my own against a team of 3*s (that isn't too champed). The question is - is the transition from 1* -> 2* difficult enough to warrant needing a champed juggernaut to help bridge the gap? Hard to say... it feels (to me) like 2* covers are pretty easy to come by, and there are 'only' 14 of them, so your odds of getting them in tokens is pretty reasonable... (better than 1/20 odds of a given 2* in a heroic, versus 1/166 for a given 3* or 1/1000 for a given 4* - and 3* and 4* odds continue to degrade faster than the odds of that 2* pull.)

[FWIW - I think champing also was borne out of a recognition that high end players had stopped perceiving value in competing for top placement in events. The difference between finishing 12th versus 9th was an extra 3* cover I was going to have to sell anyway - because I already had the character fully covered... but along comes champing and suddenly I can justify needing another 100 covers for a toon I thought I was already done with.]

Its hard to make the 2*-3* transition. Its even harder to make the 3*->4* transition. Without increasing the frequency of 3* and 4* rewards, champing was an easy way to help people bridge that gap. I'm not so sure that the 1*->2* 'gap' represents the same chasm as trying to make the jump from 3*->4*. (Or the uselessly unpredictable process of trying to transition from 4*->5*)
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    All ^^ that being said...

I would love to see 1*s be champs. The fact that there are 2-power and 3-power 1*s shouldn't be material to the discussion. There are options and you just need to pick one:

1 - Let 1* champs add up to +25 bonus levels regardless of powers
    2 - Let 2-power champs add +20, and 3-power champs add +25 (so +50% of max)
    3 - have them top out @70 or 75 regardless of number of powers. (so 2-power 1*s need to add more to be 'maxed')

The prize pool should be crafted in such a way that it helps to enable the transition from 1*->2* without creating a huge opportunity to skip the 2* tier altogether (so no legendary tokens in 1* champs, sorry). the rewards could be small quantities of hero points, ISO, and then periodic standard and elite tokens. The last prize could be a heroic token, but there shouldn't be anything more rich than that.

I would love to have some utility for all the 1* covers I wind up with from opening standard tokens. Without a use for 1* heroes I would love for the game to have a player option where I can elect to stop receiving 1* covers. All they do right now is hide better covers in my inventory and introduce risk that I could accidentally sell a 4* cover because its hiding in a sea of 1s.
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    I am a fanboy and enjoy the game for far more than doing a puzzle drop!
    Spidey,l'shell head, juggs, and even storm do just fine in this stage; until well after you are even covered for a 2*champ, or trying to scrape some HP to grow a decent stable. If I had some of the perks champing gives me as I was trying to get my OBW fully leveled I might have bought a stark salary sooner and gone full pokemon instead of weeding out the old covers for some 4*slots. The sting of not placing high enough for a specific coveted cover would be mitigated by using my "second place in a beauty contest" payouts to get even stronger and start placing.

I, having just left 2* land behind for the transition into champed 3s; then to return to properly seed my farm, get my blue widow covers for TU, throw in a yelena for spice in TGFTP icon_lol.gif , I can say it was really fun chasing these "worthless" covers! I feel better about my time and money reinvestment in my roster. The old thrill of opening a standard pack is still there a little bit.

just give me an excuse of a reason to spend my now hoarded HP for a little garden to accompany my now fruiting farm:
    10HP, health packs, iso(70-100-250),standard tokens with an end on an elite, and some covers?

spidey- bagman!
    yelena -moonstone
    venom-daken
    IM- cap
    Storm-storm
    Juggs-ares
    BW-BW
    Hawkeye-Nightwing...err i mean hawkeye
  • It would be amazing to be able to champion 1 star characters. Once 2 star- 5 star characters enter the equation, the one stars seem weak by comparison and useless to the benefit of the team.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    It would be amazing to be able to champion 1 star characters. Once 2 star- 5 star characters enter the equation, the one stars seem weak by comparison and useless to the benefit of the team.

Welcome to the forums icon_e_smile.gif

To be fair, 1* characters have always been useless to team composition, even before your 2*s are fully covered. Spending time champing 1*s would not be time well spent.