It's time for SCL9 to come out

Orion
Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
edited December 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Like a lot of people, I was excited when SCL8 came out, because I would finally be able to get those 4* and 5* rewards we were all expecting. Well, SCL8 was a disappointment for sure. It was just as hard to get 4* covers (top 10 in PvE, top 5 in PvP), but you got an extra cover and a few more ISO.

With the blatant money-grubbing moves pulled in the last week, it's time to throw vets a bone. Give us SCL9 where the rewards actually matter. 4* covers for top 50 in PvE and top 25 in PvP. Season ending Legendary tokens for top 50 instead of worthless Heroic 10-packs. And for crying out loud, replace ALL Standard tokens with Elite tokens. I don't ever want to have to see another dumb Standard token. I'm on day 909 for resupply, 1 day before I get my green Phoenix. What did I get? Yup, Standard token. Ridiculous.

Start making the rewards matter for SCL9 and the vets will stop slumming it up in SCL7 and 8 where they're taking rewards from people that actually need them.

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Here here! Let's not release CL9 the day after I'm high enough clearance for it. I'm not a vet I shouldn't be in the highest bracket....
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    The SL aren't for vets vs not they are for roster progress.

I'm at the point where 4 stars are relevant (and thanks to me not tossing money to roster everything my roster is farther ahead than my scl), them being stingy is them being stingy. I don't see any scl giving 5 stars or legendary tokens.

I think before it's released the developers need a serious discussion among them selves (preferably involving us) about what SCL is supposed to be because 7 and 8 are barely different. 9 at this rate would just be 500 more iso.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll be super sad if 9 and 10 are just a tiny amount more ISO.

I hope it's something truly meaningful!!
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Orion wrote:
    Season ending Legendary tokens for top 50 instead of worthless Heroic 10-packs.

Worthless my be-hind.

30 XP + more XP for the champ levels + more CP/HP/Token rewards is hardly worthless.

I'm on board with a T50 Legendary, but in addition to the 10-packs, not instead of them.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    They absolutely need to make 9 a step up. More than anything else, the lack of a shift down in 4* placement rewards irked me.

At this stage in my play I should not still have this much difficulty getting a 4* reward for placement. Not at CL8. You need a relatively high shield rank to be able to play CL8 and with that rank comes a certain expectation of what your roster strength will be. This was the point of them, surely? Rather than reworking the placement and progression for everyone, making it overpowers for newbies or underpowered for vets, pleasing no-one, they instead create a system that rewards you based on what your needs likely are at the stage you're at.

but if at CL8 your needs are still not being met, then surely that needs boosting up a bit?
  • scl 9 needs two fours and maybe double the cp in progressions. placement awards need to be flattened since scl9 will already be the hardcore vs the hardcore. scl8 is already ridiculous for placements.
  • Matt Murdock
    Matt Murdock Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    SCL6>7 was a good change. 4* in progression? That got us all excited to see what further SCLs will entail. Sadly, it seems that much more than that is deemed to be unacceptable by the devs/pubs. Extrapolating out the increase from 7>8, it seems that SCL10 will *maybe* offer 4*s for t25. But as far as covers go, I wouldn't expect much more. We certainly aren't going to see any 5* rewards at this rate (even if we did, it would be for first place or something, can you imagine how competitive people would be??), so look elsewhere for solutions to your 5* troubles. Right now the answer is hoarding. Maybe they will figure out an alternate solution eventually (like splitting the classic vault in two).
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    I think the later S9 and 10 will be released, the better rewards it will contain (you know, inflation).
    Maybe those tiers are planned after releasing 6* characters so they may contain 5* covers icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Kjempen
    Kjempen Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    edited December 2016
    .... Maybe they will figure out an alternate solution eventually (like splitting the classic vault in two).

Actually, not a bad idea! Maybe the solution is making an LT classic vault split in two with a cheaper cost. Something like 10 CP. Only available for SCL 9+. Increasing the chances of pulling something other than 1000 iso or a champ level on 4*s. It would help the feeling of progress, without making too big changes in rewards.

5*s feel almost impossible to pull from classics now, and for most playing in that clearance level 4* after 4* after 4* will do nothing for your progress other than selling for ISO-8 or a champ level, or a minuscule chance at a cover for a handful of undercovered 4*s in your roster. In SCL 9 pulling a 4* will feel like pulling a 2* while trying to make progress with your 3*s. In other words, give we need more chances at a 5*.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kjempen wrote:
    .... Maybe they will figure out an alternate solution eventually (like splitting the classic vault in two).

Actually, not a bad idea! Maybe the solution is making an LT classic vault split in two with a cheaper cost. Something like 10 CP. Only available for SCL 9+. Increasing the chances of pulling something other than 1000 iso or a champ level on 4*s. It would help the feeling of progress, without making too big changes in rewards.

I suggested something once along the lines of a "Featured" for 25 CP to go alongside with Latest Legends and Classics. Featured would have one 5* character out of classics, rotated with taco vault turnover. The entire 15% 5* chance would go to that character.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Given demi's history with giving out the highest tier covers, and the amount of money generated from buy clubs, I can't imagine that 5* covers will ever be rewards (placement or prog) for regular PVP and PVE events (though it may happen again for special events like civil war or anniversary).

For PVE:

LT's should definitely be available in CL9, as should 2 fixed 4* covers and at least 40 cp in every progression table. And pushing mid tier placement rewards deeper into the bracket (as was done between CL7 and CL8) isn't enough of an improvement. improvements in the rewards are generally just offset by tighter competition. The top prizes (i.e. 4 placement covers) should be extended. I don't know about top 50 at CL 9; but maybe demi would go for it. That's still only 5% of players. that seems reasonable for the second highest CL (at least in the current plan. presumably the CLs are intended to be extensible just like shield rank). And top 5 ish should get a latest LT.

That sort of improvement would really push people with enough rank to jump up to CL9 (unlike CL8, which is not often worth playing over CL7)

For PVP, I am not so sure of the correct path, as the current progression system is so screwed up. killing cupcakes and dropping the progression table made it slightly easier for early 4* players to reach the 4* prog cover. But the final prog CP is now beyond the reach of all but the very strongest rosters (or those with premier 4*s champed during their boost week). I think that any CL9 revisions to the prog or placement rewards in PVP should also be accompanied with significant scoring changes.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    I don't believe there are enough players eligible for CL9 to fill more than a couple PvP brackets. Maybe S4 could, but the others would just find death-brackets fighting for marginally better rewards than in CL8. The Puzzlewarriors podcast the other day had the devs more or less state that player desires are not at all in line with the company's when it comes to 5's. We'll be fighting for 4's for a long time to come.

For PvE, hell yes bring on CL9!
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ludaa wrote:
    I don't believe there are enough players eligible for CL9 to fill more than a couple PvP brackets. Maybe S4 could, but the others would just find death-brackets fighting for marginally better rewards than in CL8. The Puzzlewarriors podcast the other day had the devs more or less state that player desires are not at all in line with the company's when it comes to 5's. We'll be fighting for 4's for a long time to come.

CL8 would have been okay if it had been introduced alongside CL9, but really any increase in CL should increase progression and placement cover/token rewards e.g. standards being switched for elites in progression.

As far as 5's, if player expectations are unreasonable then they shouldnt have made them such a jump from 4's in the first place and in any case one of the biggest complaint about 5's is the randomness of getting them, address that and people would be far happier.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    edited December 2016
    Ludaa wrote:

Choosing a clearance level doesn't put you in a bracket with people of the same CL, as far as I'm aware. It merely dictates what prizes you'll get during progression and at the end for placement.

[Edit] I'm incorrect. See below for facts.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    We were optimistic for SCL8...
    We got +500 iso8.png
    I just don't see them giving adequate rewards for 9. Not holding my breath

The SCL you choose absolutely effects bracketing, it's match making that isn't effected
  • jtmagee
    jtmagee Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    My guess is they will up the rewards for 4*'s in both PVE and PVP. I am really hoping all Standard tokens become Elite tokens, though. That will be the real change. Anytime a Standard token is an option for a reward, it is replaced with an Elite token. That jump in ISO and for re-champing would be the real difference and progression. Any vet hates opening up standards these days.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Ludaa wrote:

Choosing a clearance level doesn't put you in a bracket with people of the same CL, as far as I'm aware. It merely dictates what prizes you'll get during progression and at the end for placement.

You're wrong. You compete with people in your clearance level in terms of brackets in PvP and PvE placement. What they said was that as far as PvP matchmaking it wouldn't have an effect, which I think meant you can compete with people outside of your clearance level if you're in the same slice and have similar rosters.

And I agree with Ludaa, that given the not great bracket turnover that I've seen when I was competing in CL8 in PvE, I don't think there's enough people out there high enough to fill out more than a couple CL9 brackets per event, which would make that Clearance level even more of a grind than CL8 currently is.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    You're wrong. You compete with people in your clearance level in terms of brackets in PvP and PvE placement. What they said was that as far as PvP matchmaking it wouldn't have an effect, which I think meant you can compete with people outside of your clearance level if you're in the same slice and have similar rosters.

Huh, that must be what I was thinking of. Thanks for the clarification =)
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards

And I agree with Ludaa, that given the not great bracket turnover that I've seen when I was competing in CL8 in PvE, I don't think there's enough people out there high enough to fill out more than a couple CL9 brackets per event, which would make that Clearance level even more of a grind than CL8 currently is.
    The solution to that is, as SCL goes up bracket sizes get smaller
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    Ludaa wrote:

I agreed with the idea there weren't enough people to fill the brackets a few weeks ago, but I'm starting think otherwise. You see, rather than compete against one another, many 5* players are picking the path of least resistance and going to 6/7 to guarantee top placement.

Releasing scl 9 still won't fix this problem UNLESS d3 gives 5* for placement. There will still be those thatchoose to crush in the kiddy pool, but many will chase that 5* even if it means harder competition. Had they done this with scl8, the bracket turn over rate would be light speed and every 5* player scumming it up in the lower levels wouldn't be there.