Thoress, is she worth levelling up?

Options
Astralgazer
Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
edited December 2016 in MPQ Tips and Guides
I now have Thoress at 5/3/3. She has been super useful at lv 172. But I've been toying up with the idea of levelling her to over 200. Is this a wise move? My highest 3* champ is now 184. Will lv 200+ Thoress mess up my scaling when she's boosted?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have not been disappointed. She's my go-to giant killer. If you pair her up with IM40 you can get her powers rolling quickly. A couple of stuns and then smite often results in a one-shot kill, up to about 12-15k health.

Without a booster for red and/or blue, she's very slow. To take full advantage of smite you need to fire off power surge - that's a minimum 19 AP in the appropriate colors. That's tough to pull off without a generator.

A viable Black Bolt or boosted Ragnarok can fill in. Their boost tiles are prolific enough that she ought to have enough oomph behind smite to down a foe after 5-6 turns. Match that up with a red generator - 3* Cpt Marvel (if you can find a way to tank her), Hulkbuster, 3* Cyc - and you can build up the smite faster. Once you have enough AP, her stun/damage combos end the match.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It is common wisdom that a L255 5* will not throw off scaling too much if you are rocking champed 3*. 4Thor is a amazing 4* to begin the 4* transition and you have her at a really good build to use her a lot. My suggestion would be to dump ISO into her, yesterday.
  • Astralgazer
    Options
    Calnexin wrote:
    I have not been disappointed. She's my go-to giant killer. If you pair her up with IM40 you can get her powers rolling quickly. A couple of stuns and then smite often results in a one-shot kill, up to about 12-15k health.

Without a booster for red and/or blue, she's very slow. To take full advantage of smite you need to fire off power surge - that's a minimum 19 AP in the appropriate colors. That's tough to pull off without a generator.

A viable Black Bolt or boosted Ragnarok can fill in. Their boost tiles are prolific enough that she ought to have enough oomph behind smite to down a foe after 5-6 turns. Match that up with a red generator - 3* Cpt Marvel (if you can find a way to tank her), Hulkbuster, 3* Cyc - and you can build up the smite faster. Once you have enough AP, her stun/damage combos end the match.

I have Hulkbuster at 2/5/4. Not really good enough as damage dealer, but can be useful as generators. Would HB be better than my championed IM40 at lv 183? I may have to pump ISO into HB too if he is a better generator than IM40.
    It is common wisdom that a L255 5* will not throw off scaling too much if you are rocking champed 3*. 4Thor is a amazing 4* to begin the 4* transition and you have her at a really good build to use her a lot. My suggestion would be to dump ISO into her, yesterday.

Aye, aye, Sir!
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have Hulkbuster at 2/5/4. Not really good enough as damage dealer, but can be useful as generators. Would HB be better than my championed IM40 at lv 183? I may have to pump ISO into HB too if he is a better generator than IM40.

Not even close. Stick to IM40. The only advantage to HB is that you have a use for black and get strike tiles. For 4thor though, you really need red AND blue, which HB doesn't generate. You want to fire off at least one blue first to make charged tiles before you use the red smite. Ideally you want enough ap to do either one of these in one move:

Stun, stun, smite
    Stun, smite, smite

Either way, assuming the smites KO the enemies you hit, you then have multiple turns to collect enough ap to keep them stunned or make them dead.
  • Astralgazer
    Options
    udonomefoo wrote:

Not even close. Stick to IM40. The only advantage to HB is that you have a use for black and get strike tiles. For 4thor though, you really need red AND blue, which HB doesn't generate. You want to fire off at least one blue first to make charged tiles before you use the red smite. Ideally you want enough ap to do either one of these in one move:

Stun, stun, smite
    Stun, smite, smite

Alright. I'll stick to IM40. He's quite meaty even when not boosted anyway. I usually go for Stun, stun, smite. Hoping that I can get two charged red matched for another go at smite while the two remaining opponents are stunned.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Alright. I'll stick to IM40. He's quite meaty even when not boosted anyway. I usually go for Stun, stun, smite. Hoping that I can get two charged red matched for another go at smite while the two remaining opponents are stunned.

Even better news with IM40 - Thor tanks for him. I'm not certain she does in blue at the level you've got them at, but she should in red and yellow, which is enough to hide him for most of the match.
  • Astralgazer
    Options
    I have leveled up Thoress to 200 and tried her out in Shield Sims, paired with IM40. It seems that she can hold herself well enough, but when the board has no yellow or all 3 of my first Recharge CDs are wiped out, Thoress are stranded. What should I pair with Thoress and IM40 as the third in the team?
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I posed a similar question here a few months ago, where I asked if she was still worth champing. The answer was a pretty emphatic YES, I champed her, and I'd say it's one of the best ISO investments I've made to date. Teamed with IM40, she's just incredibly useful in both PvE and PvP.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What should I pair with Thoress and IM40 as the third in the team?
    For a third, I tend to go with a good green user to benefit from that from Recharge. Kamala in 3 land, Jean Grey in 4.
  • Curiosity
    Curiosity Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    Options
    CT1888 wrote:
    What should I pair with Thoress and IM40 as the third in the team?
    For a third, I tend to go with a good green user to benefit from that from Recharge. Kamala in 3 land, Jean Grey in 4.

Rhulk also works as a combo. Much like Jean, having a solid green and pink/purple character minimises the chance of a bad board.
  • Astralgazer
    Options
    Green user. Got it!