4* progress!

Options
DFiPL
DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
edited December 2016 in Roster and Level Help
Just a shade over four months ago, I had the following 4* characters with 7+ covers:
Nick Fury - 3/4/3, 10 covers
Star-Lord - 2/4/4, 10 covers
Professor X - 3/5/0, 8 covers
Ghost Rider - 2/2/4, 8 covers
Invisible Woman - 3/1/3, 7 covers
Ant-Man - 4/2/1, 7 covers
Deadpool - 5/1/1, 7 covers

At that time, I hadn't any 13-cover 4*. Of the listed characters, my first cover from any of those came on day 310, when icon_invisiblewoman.png got her yellowflag.png .

Nick Fury became my first 4* to 13 covers, having gotten his first cover on day 400 and his 13th on day 787 - a period of 387 days for him specifically, and 477 days for my first to 13 when considering only the characters who had 7+ covers when I began the watch.

It has been 123 days since that watch began, when I had 7 4* characters at 7+ covers. 63 days in - not quite halfway between then and now - the total increased from 7 to 15. Here's where things stood:
Nick Fury (4/5/4)
Star-Lord (2/4/5)
Invisible Woman (3/3/5)
Deadpool (5/2/3)
Ghost Rider (3/2/5)
Ant-Man (5/3/1)
Sam Wilson (Captain America) (3/2/4)
Professor X (4/5/0)
Thing (4/3/2)
Hulkbuster (4/1/3)
Elektra (2/3/2)
Jean Grey (2/2/3)
Kingpin (1/4/2)
Mr. Fantastic (3/1/3)
She-Thor (2/2/3)

In the 70 days since Fury became my first 13-cover, my coverage has grown further still:

Nick Fury (4/5/4) - 13 covers; champion
Star-Lord (3/5/5) - 13 covers; champion
Jean Grey (3/5/5) - 13 covers
Thing (5/4/4) - 13 covers
Captain Falcon (4/3/5) - 12 covers
Deadpool (5/4/3) - 12 covers
Ghost Rider (4/3/5) - 12 covers
Invisible Woman (3/3/5) - 11 covers
Ant-Man (5/3/2) - 10 covers
Hulkbuster (5/2/3) - 10 covers
Mr. Fantastic (4/3/3) - 10 covers
Professor X (5/5/0) - 10 covers
She-Thor (2/4/4) - 10 covers
Elektra (3/4/2) - 9 covers
Winter Soldier (3/2/4) - 9 covers
X-23 (2/5/2) - 9 covers
Kingpin (1/5/2) - 8 covers
PunMax (2/1/4) - 7 covers
Venom (4/2/1) - 7 covers

Seven others are just below that 7-cover threshold with 6 covers.

Now, at this point, 2+ months after my first 4* champion, SCL has more impact on my roster growth than it had had the last time I tracked progress. But between that, tokens from CP spending, and 11 victories from 14 pins on Crash days (with another coming up in a few hours!), plus the occasional grace of RNGesus, I've gone from 12 4* characters at 6+ covers to 26 in 123 days, out of 35 total 4* on my roster.

Feels good seeing my 4* roster round into usable form at faster than a glacier's pace.

Comments

• SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm seeing good improvement in the few months I've been playing
    some viable 4 star characters (best powers maxxed and the like)
    more importantly I now seem to be able to use my 4's to clear bottom nodes in PVE so my three star champs can take care of business
    That said I still have a few weak ones and Iceman only has his Purple Power (although at least it's at 3)
    but the last twp days my legendary tokens have yielded the missing Kingpin and Drax Powers
    which makes my Villain Team (Kingpin, hood and Doom) slightly better
    would be nice if Starlord had his red
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Options
    While RNG is still a frustrating experience, I can't deny my roster has grown incredibly in the last few months.

Pre-Anniversery:
    Ant-Man (3/5/5)
    Nick Fury (5/5/3)
    Sue Storm (3/5/5)
    Cyclops (2/5/5)
    Rulk (4/4/4)
    IMHB (2/4/5)
    Punisher (5/2/4)

Now:
    13 covers
    Rulk (champion)
    Ant-Man (champion)
    Kingpin (champion)
    Cyclops (champion)
    IMHB (champion)
    Nick Fury (champion)
    Deadpool (champion)
    Star-Lord (champion)
    Thor (champion)
    Jean Grey (champion)
    Devil Dinosaur (5/4/4)
    Sue Storm (3/5/5)
    Mr. F (3/5/5)
    Prof X. (5/3/5) - not going to champ until I build my second Prof X which is (1/2/0)
    12 covers
    Miles Morales (4/3/5)
    11 covers (all oddly in the same build)
    Punisher (5/2/4) still icon_cry.gif
    Carnage (5/2/4)
    Quake (5/2/4)
    Captain Falcon (5/2/4)
    10 covers
    Elektra (2/5/3)
    Iceman (1/4/5)
    Thing (3/3/4)
    X-23 (5/3/2)
    Drax (5/1/4)
    Moon Knight (3/4/3)
    9 covers
    Peggy Carter (4/3/2)
    Nova (3/2/4)
    Venom (4/3/2)
    8 covers
    Howard the Duck (4/2/2)
    Cho Hulk (3/2/3)
    Ghost Rider (2/3/3)
    Wolverine (2/2/4)
    7 covers
    Wasp (1/4/2)
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I didn't even realize that there was a sub forum under Tips and Guides. I would never had seen it if it wasn't started in the general section.

My 4* roster has been snowballing as well. I'll have to see if I can find some notes about the progression but right now I have 16 Legendary Tokens and 378 Command Points stockpiled because I have been getting 4* covers for fully covered non champed characters faster than I get the ISO to champ them. My last few champs were from placement rewards (Jean Grey) and Heroic Tokens (Ant Man). Invisible Woman and X Force wolvie in queue now and still no ISO to champ them yet.

Edit: Here's what I found.

July 17th - Hulkbuster is my only 4* champ and I'm still actively working on 3* champs.
    September 21st - Cyclops and Kingpin have been champed, Iceman and X23 sitting at 12 covers
    October 25th - X23, Quake and Nick Fury have been champed; Iceman, Starlord, Reed Richards, Professor X, Ant Man, Wolverine, Nova all have 13 covers.

Today : 12 Champed 4* characters. 7 at 13 covers, 8 at 12 covers, 3 at 9 covers.

I'm just following the covers at this point. Whoever gets a 14th cover gets champed. At some point I'll have enough champed that I'll be pulling champ covers instead of 14th covers and I'll whittle my token hoard down.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    HaywireII wrote:
    I didn't even realize that there was a sub forum under Tips and Guides. I would never had seen it if it wasn't started in the general section.

My 4* roster has been snowballing as well. I'll have to see if I can find some notes about the progression but right now I have 16 Legendary Tokens and 378 Command Points stockpiled because I have been getting 4* covers for fully covered non champed characters faster than I get the ISO to champ them. My last few champs were from placement rewards (Jean Grey) and Heroic Tokens (Ant Man). Invisible Woman and X Force wolvie in queue now and still no ISO to champ them yet.

I'm approaching that situation. I was in a good place with Fury and Starlord sitting at 13 covers with 500k in the bank. I decided to champ Fury because he's coming up as an essential (also helped with his clash - got a 5* widow out of it). Now I don't have enough to champ Starlord, so it's probably time to start hoarding.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, what I'm trying to do is maintain a baseline of at least 300k ISO for champion purposes. I hit that point and then some this week because my 2* farm got completely recycled and my 3* are all maxed. I was sitting on a Deadpool (4) cover hoping I'd get his purple or black so I could champion him, but today's Crash wasn't cooperative, so I don't think that's likely to happen. Championed Jean Grey instead.

But I've still got 210k in the bank and I intend to push that over 300k again before I spend any more.
  • archmag
    Options
    For 6 months I've been tracking the amount of covers that I need to max cover all my 4* to see if I keep up with release rates (in cover gain at least):
    7fOrMAv.png

Somewhere at the end of September I stopped opening LT and spending CP when I got several 4* at 13 covers and chance to get usable covers dropped below 66%. I still can keep up with release rates by using other sources. I usually focus on PVE to get 6 clears at random times (that gives me top 50 or top 100 reward + a lot of exp), only play PVP to 575 points, have all 2* (except Spider-Man) and 3* (except Doctor Strange) champed. Got to 20 LT and 800+ CP since then, but still have five 4* maxcovered characters to champ. Currently got to 78% chance to get usable 4* covers. I am quite satisfied with the amount of 4* covers that are rewarded but barely keeping myself from opening those 60 tokens...

At the moment I have 11x4* championed, 5x4* covermaxed (one of those has an extra cover in a queue, so it is going to be championed soon).
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My 2 cents, I would prioritise top-tier 4*s. Save ISO, and champ the following as you get them:

Iceman
    Peggy
    Rhulk
    4* Cyclops
    Jean Grey
    PunMax
    Hulkbuster
    Nova
    4* Deadpool

The problem with champing non top-tier characters is that it will leave you exposed in terms of MMR as the characters are relatively weak when not boosted (and even when boosted TBH)

The extra bonus of the above characters is that they will speed up your progression generally as they are much more usable unboosted, allow you to go further in SSim and make PvE easier also.

Hope this helps in some way...