The other level up button

Malificant
Malificant Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
edited December 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
The feedback on the max level button has been swift and justified, but there have been a couple comments about the normal level up button and I want to give a space to discuss it. Personally, I'm also annoyed by the new behavior of the normal level up button. I tend to level one or two at a time, and now I have to be really careful not to hold the button too long or I might end up with zero ISO and a useless half-level on a character. Why do we even have partial leveling? It serves absolutely no purpose to the gameplay. I'd be happier, as people have said forever, with a button that adds one level per tap. You could still have the progress bar fill and the same level up animation.

As an incentive to devs, it would also be a clear place to put a dead drop upsell. If you try to level and you don't have enough ISO that's a fine place to offer to sell you the rest. Currently, that doesn't happen until you've exhausted you've ISO. A lot of people will never see that upsell because they stop before they run out. So by moving to a one level per tap model, you'd move that upsell earlier, which means more people will see it, and you'll probably increase revenue.

Comments

• firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Agreed. I also like to keep a bit extra. Unless they plan to eliminate the skip tax, I'd much prefer a button to go up one level power click.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malificant wrote:
    The feedback on the max level button has been swift and justified, but there have been a couple comments about the normal level up button and I want to give a space to discuss it. Personally, I'm also annoyed by the new behavior of the normal level up button. I tend to level one or two at a time, and now I have to be really careful not to hold the button too long or I might end up with zero ISO and a useless half-level on a character. Why do we even have partial leveling? It serves absolutely no purpose to the gameplay. I'd be happier, as people have said forever, with a button that adds one level per tap. You could still have the progress bar fill and the same level up animation.

This is exactly what I've been saying on a few other threads. I saw this implementation in MtG PQ and hated it there, and it annoys me that they thought it was good enough to bring here too.
  • evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    only problem with the one tap button, is for those who apply 2 covers to a dupe and add a small amount of iso in order to sell the dupe for more iso than just the value of the cover
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    evade420 wrote:
    only problem with the one tap button, is for those who apply 2 covers to a dupe and add a small amount of iso in order to sell the dupe for more iso than just the value of the cover

that doesn't seem like a problem so much as closing an unintended exploit. Unless demi's intent was really to let players with two covers in the same color make a small arbitrage profit. . .

This is not said as a criticism of anyone who has used that exploit. Just that it doesn't seem like something that needs to be in the game, or something that would cripple the player experience if taken away.
  • Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    this is obnoxious
  • Slothkins
    Slothkins Posts: 58 Match Maker
    I prefer to keep it the way it is currently. I typically choose a character to work on, and dump iso into them as I get it, so being able to just hold and forget is awesome.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like the hold better than stopping every level. However, the ability to just hit 1 button to go up 1 or multiple levels at once would be much better. What benefit is there to throwing iso into 25% of a level? icon_rolleyes.gif
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    The whole thing is farcical.Behaviour of the level-up buttons, while not perfect, was so far down the list of QoL requests as to be rendered unimportant.
    More than anything else, these changes show that the developers have completely lost touch with their own game. One or more developers have been spending their time on this while the Star filter drop-down for roster selection still hasn't been added to every place that you need to select characters. That is, you can filter when browsing your roster from the main menu, but cannot filter when selecting characters for a match. Not just developers either. New art was done for these buttons. You know, because all the other art is perfect. We got a new app icon, but the title screen is still Agent Venom tea bagging like an MLG Pro.

This was change for the sake of change and it's really disappointing to know that those resources could have been spent on otherwise improving the game.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think we should have 3 buttons...

Level Up. Level Up. Level Up
    (1iso at a time) (1 full level) (cap/iso max)

Solves all problems gives everyone what they need or want. Can't understand why this change hasn't happened in my 450 days of play....
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards

Solves all problems gives everyone what they need or want. Can't understand why this change hasn't happened in my 450 days of play....

But why the Level Up (1iso at a time) ? There really is no point in levelling half level. We should have a button that shows how much iso you need for the next level and if you have it when you click it you level one exact level.

Maybe before last changes to match damage, when there were hidden floats, there was a difference if you were level 65 or 65.5, so it made some sense to allow half levels (or whatever), but now there is 0 difference between level 65 and 65.5.

I think Devs would prefer something like this though:

(1 full level) (cap/iso max) (cap/iso max + stark/logan/etc)

Even though I think just two buttons is more than enough...
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    But why the Level Up (1iso at a time) ? There really is no point in levelling half level.

This is not entirely true. Beyond the selling costs jumping mid-level, a lot (all?) of the damage increases for characters happen mid-level. This stems from the fact that this system is built on top of the original system which used covers instead of iso to level characters (or whatever the Day 1 mechanic was, it was gone by the time I joined).
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker

Shut up! You make way too much sense. icon_lol.gif
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    I'm trying not to go over, it feels a lot like pumping gas. I know it's pennies either way so why do I get so mad when it happens? icon_mad.gif