Devs - help everyone sleep!

SnowcaTT
SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
edited December 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases ... 112816.php
A lack of sleep among U.S. workers costs the U.S. economy up to $411 billion dollars a year.

Devs - you've really been doing pretty well to not add into this statistic! Time slices, which aren't perfect but help! 24 hour subs - no reason to wake up in the middle of the night to run that sub another time!

BUT.....when you put PVE and PVP ending at the same time, there might as well be ONE time slice, Slice 5. For both events. Which is right in the middle of the night for most of the U.S.

-PLEASE-.....continue to help the overall economy! No more PVP/PVE events ending at the same time!
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not gonna say I've never foregone sleep for a video game (damn you Final Fantasy X), but I'm never going to do it for this dumb game. I've sacrificed countless event placements because I decided I was too tired to keep grinding, and none of it means that much.

I did my final grind 4 hours early, found a hybrid home to merc in, and went to bed earlier than normal.
  • Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    You forgot about "I didn't lose any sleep, I'm in another timezone" option.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    I typically merc out for release events and don't bother setting an alarm for 2:00 am to merc back for PvP. The exception is for end of season, no way I'm missing out on that LT for a 4* that at this point will likely never be champed.
  • Coubii
    Coubii Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    In my european time zone, no sleep leftover. At the start of the game, yeah each event finishing at 2 or 5 in the morning, that was impossible to have decent sleep night.
    But now, that's great.
    I can always find a timeslot to finish my event just before to go to bed or just before my working hours for a fast point rush in the public transport.
  • smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    After introducing the time slices I cannot imagine why should I loose a sleep.
    Time slices are because you can choose ending time appropriate for your time zone. I always choose slices which ends at the evening so I can make a final grind just before sleep.

The only exception are alliance PvE's like Ultron which always ends in the middle of might in my time zone.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    You need an option for those who play casually
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't like when pvp and pve end on the same night. But this particular time, I tanked the new release pve, because I generally don't play as much on weekends.. I like to try to spend some time with my family when possible!
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    Don't most people who play for progression prizes shield out 8+ hours before the end of a Versus event? Isn't the ending time of one of those events pretty much not important?
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've literally fallen asleep with the iPad on my lap. Woke up a couple hours later to put it in the charger.

It's happened multiple times. I think I nod off when the AI gets a 5-7x cascade. "Oh, there's a 4-match I didn't mean to create. There's a drop into a cross. Another drop of solid 5 green. Ano... ther... zzzzzz.
  • deadtaco
    deadtaco Posts: 409 Mover and Shaker
    Those middle of the nights are your middle of the nights and are useful to non-U.S. players. Why not play another slice?
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    deadtaco wrote:
    Those middle of the nights are your middle of the nights and are useful to non-U.S. players. Why not play another slice?
    Because alliance rewards are distributed after S5 ends regardless of what slice you play in. So if you want to get PvP and PvE alliance rewards from different alliances you have a 1 hour window from 2-3 AM EST to change alliances.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Devs - you've really been doing pretty well to not add into this statistic! Time slices, which aren't perfect but help! 24 hour subs

Yeah... ok... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    It will introduce some additional complications, but one possible solution would be to keep all time slices the way they are, but rename slice 4 as slice 1 and adjust the others correspondingly.

That way the PvEs will end when the old slice 3 ends (now slice 5), and you'll always have several hours between the end of a PvE and the end of a season for folks to move around.

This would be a clear move in favor of mercing/rearranging for awards, so I can understand that some folks would prefer that this not occur, but as long as there's no alliance lock-in for events, mercing will happen, and this gives the poor folks coordinating these swaps a little breathing room.
  • Aweberman
    Aweberman Posts: 433 Mover and Shaker
    I'd just like someone to explain why the slices for PVE aren't more evenly distributed. Like, why doesn't slice 4 end at 9 or 10 EST rather than so close to the end of slice 5?
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Aweberman wrote:
    I'd just like someone to explain why the slices for PVE aren't more evenly distributed. Like, why doesn't slice 4 end at 9 or 10 EST rather than so close to the end of slice 5?

Pretty sure this is because they're set up to be 11pm local time for as many players as possible.
  • Peej13
    Peej13 Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Devs - you've really been doing pretty well to not add into this statistic!

I'd say the devs and CS have been doing well not to make the statistics worse because they all likely get 12-14 hours of sleep every night, along with taking frequent cat naps, based on the amount of bugs in the game and the god-awful level of customer service.
  • Aweberman
    Aweberman Posts: 433 Mover and Shaker
    Aweberman wrote:

Pretty sure this is because they're set up to be 11pm local time for as many players as possible.
    So, East Coast Bias?? icon_e_smile.gif
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    deadtaco wrote:
    Because alliance rewards are distributed after S5 ends regardless of what slice you play in. So if you want to get PvP and PvE alliance rewards from different alliances you have a 1 hour window from 2-3 AM EST to change alliances.

...yeah... the game really shouldn't be focused on those who merc and game the system. I don't think their intention when they created alliances was to have 0 loyalty to the alliance. Other games create a significant barrier to alliance swapping, I don't see why MPQ has continued to permit scores to pass from alliance to alliance.

MtGPQ makes you earn points for an alliance and points for yourself. When you leave an alliance, the points you earned for yourself remain, but you leave the points you earned for your alliance when you leave, along with any right to a reward from the points you earned.

MPQ should have dealt with this problem ages ago, not make changes to facilitate it now.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    Buret0 wrote:
    deadtaco wrote:

...yeah... the game really shouldn't be focused on those who merc and game the system. I don't think their intention when they created alliances was to have 0 loyalty to the alliance. Other games create a significant barrier to alliance swapping, I don't see why MPQ has continued to permit scores to pass from alliance to alliance.

MtGPQ makes you earn points for an alliance and points for yourself. When you leave an alliance, the points you earned for yourself remain, but you leave the points you earned for your alliance when you leave, along with any right to a reward from the points you earned.

MPQ should have dealt with this problem ages ago, not make changes to facilitate it now.
    Exactly this. They should have dealt with it like they did with cupcakes. Disclaimer, swapping alliances, I am a bit jealous of because I could easily do this no problem. In fact everyone can do this easier than cupcakes.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Buret0 wrote:
    deadtaco wrote:

I agree totally. If you want all the rewards join a hybrid alliance. My alliance is mostly PVE based and though some of us do muck around in PVP we take the rewards we get there as a bonus. I don't really see a problem with mercs but if you want to go that route just realize that occasionally you'll have to wake up a certain time to facilitate it. That is the drawback to the extra rewards you get that everyone who isn't merc-ing don't get.