The Worst Enchilada

Pope Belligerent
Pope Belligerent Posts: 94 Match Maker
edited December 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
"Well, Venom Bomb's about to start. Let's put two waves of Symbiotes in a row into TBE today. Everybody loves Symbiotes!"

Thank god for Dr. Strange. After my initial wipe (I like to think of that team fondly as the sacrificial recon party) I switched to Strange and waltzed through. But what an ugly surprise to get the EXACT SAME Symbiote/Black Panther/Symbiote team two waves in a row, followed by Ultron Sentries.

Comments

• SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oddly I had no problems despite a different team (Patch,Daken and 3 Star Bullseye)
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Normally I go with one of two proven teams to get the enchilada done (3cap/IM40/3bullseye or 3cyke/IF/3strange). But this morning I was feeling adventurous as I lay in bed, refusing to leave the warm confines of cozy blankets and soft pillows.

"Ah," I said to myself, "It's Colossus day," as I queued up Deadpool's daily. I wasn't really enthused because I tend to relegate Colossus to the 'unused' section of my roster. But that adventurous spirit I mentioned earlier overtook me when it came time to pick for the enchilada. I laid there and stared at Colossus, Patch, and Scarlet Witch on my selection screen. "Can this team work?" I asked myself. "What the heck," I decided. If they all go down it's not like I was planning on using any of them again before they'd get a chance to heal. Mind you, I was in no hurry, being so cozy under those blankets and all.

Of course the game started with a black-heavy board (my opponent was Panther after all) so I quickly snatched up enough black AP to fire off a quick Fastball Special. This move traditionally was performed with Wolverine in the comics, so up Patch went! Upon landing, Patch fired off a Berserker Rage and Panther was down. Right after, Switch's blue countdown tile reached zero and quite effectively took out a bunch of the purple strike tiles Patch had created. The remaining goons quickly fell after that.

"Touche," I proclaimed as the exact same opponents re-appeared for wave 2. It seems D3 had taken a page out of my book and decided to use the same team over and over. I had gathered enough red to hit them with a Colossal Punch (amped from a bunch of green strike tiles), which dropped Panther once again and made a sizable dent in the goons. The rest of the game is a blur of Patch's Berserker Rage and Switch's purple Reality Crush.

When it was all over I had a smile on my face and wanted to play with those three again. It was fun; I was glad I tried something different and now maybe Colossus will start seeing some active duty in the future.

Or, tomorrow I'll be in a hurry and go back to 3cap/IM40.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    We had 4 waves of sentries a couple weeks ago, didn't we? Why aren't we calling that one the worst Enchilada?
  • Pope Belligerent
    Because I don't remember that one?
  • TeamStewie
    TeamStewie Posts: 357 Mover and Shaker
    I did OK the 2nd time around or maybe it just seemed easier after the HoD waves meat grinder.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    It wasn't actually difficult, just repetitive and unimaginative. I prefer some variety.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    I hate that they try to make the DDQ more challenging. That isn't what it's supposed to be. Just let us get our iso and cover and go about our day for God's sake. The rest of the game is hard enough.
  • Kjempen
    Kjempen Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    Not only that, but the AI also had a Ghost Rider teamup penance staring my 12.000 health Kingpin to death... Do others experience this much? This specific teamup for the AI in DDQ? A friend of mine had never experienced this in DDQ. Maybe it's my bad luck. Sometimes it seems the game is designed to make you lose unless you never give the AI a turn. No wonder players frequently resort to winfinite teams.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Dormammu wrote:
    Normally I go with one of two proven teams to get the enchilada done (3cap/IM40/3bullseye or 3cyke/IF/3strange). But this morning I was feeling adventurous as I lay in bed, refusing to leave the warm confines of cozy blankets and soft pillows.

"Ah," I said to myself, "It's Colossus day," as I queued up Deadpool's daily. I wasn't really enthused because I tend to relegate Colossus to the 'unused' section of my roster. But that adventurous spirit I mentioned earlier overtook me when it came time to pick for the enchilada. I laid there and stared at Colossus, Patch, and Scarlet Witch on my selection screen. "Can this team work?" I asked myself. "What the heck," I decided. If they all go down it's not like I was planning on using any of them again before they'd get a chance to heal. Mind you, I was in no hurry, being so cozy under those blankets and all.

Of course the game started with a black-heavy board (my opponent was Panther after all) so I quickly snatched up enough black AP to fire off a quick Fastball Special. This move traditionally was performed with Wolverine in the comics, so up Patch went! Upon landing, Patch fired off a Berserker Rage and Panther was down. Right after, Switch's blue countdown tile reached zero and quite effectively took out a bunch of the purple strike tiles Patch had created. The remaining goons quickly fell after that.

"Touche," I proclaimed as the exact same opponents re-appeared for wave 2. It seems D3 had taken a page out of my book and decided to use the same team over and over. I had gathered enough red to hit them with a Colossal Punch (amped from a bunch of green strike tiles), which dropped Panther once again and made a sizable dent in the goons. The rest of the game is a blur of Patch's Berserker Rage and Switch's purple Reality Crush.

When it was all over I had a smile on my face and wanted to play with those three again. It was fun; I was glad I tried something different and now maybe Colossus will start seeing some active duty in the future.

I think my favorite part of this story is imagining Dormammu snuggled into his warm, cozy bed, forsaking his normal plotting to instead laugh maniacally as his digital pawns overwhelm their foes...
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have exclusively used Team Twilight everyday for over a year.

Beast, Blade, SW.

Try it. Full rainbow. Its fun. It dominates BE. Normally with no life loss.
  • Shmoe50
    Shmoe50 Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    I tend to stick with Silver Surfer (1 blue cover only), 3* punisher, and Squirrel Girl. Lots of shields from SG, lots of attack tiles from punisher, and silver Surfer as a regenerating tank - especially now that you can control which color he helpsaid when he regenerates. All the colors are covered, and it works pretty well against most waves in PvE as well. I rarely use any of them unless facing waves.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    My new go-to team is Jean Grey, Kingpin, and Star-Lord. Kingpin and Star-Lord alone are a devastating pair when facing off against goons as Kingpin's yellow makes Star-Lord's red a cheap one-hit kill machine in most situations, and Star-Lord's yellow passive fires almost every turn and makes getting everyone's attacks out easy. That includes Jean Grey's purple and green, her purple which of course also eliminates enemy countdowns, strikes, etc.

Up until recently I was relying on 3-stars for BE, and my go-to was Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Cap. After that, it became Professor X, Scarlet Witch, and Magneto.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu wrote:

Colossus is lots of fun and not too bad. Jean Grey was my second maxed 4* an beween them, they have a powerful AoE attack in 4 colours! (Black counts as an AoE because with Jean Grey, you are guaranteed to get one when you use Fastball Special). Add IM40 and you get AP acceleration plus a 5th (albeit mediocre) AoE!
  • Berserk_Al
    Berserk_Al Posts: 411 Mover and Shaker
    Kjempen wrote:
    Not only that, but the AI also had a Ghost Rider teamup penance staring my 12.000 health Kingpin to death... Do others experience this much? This specific teamup for the AI in DDQ? A friend of mine had never experienced this in DDQ. Maybe it's my bad luck. Sometimes it seems the game is designed to make you lose unless you never give the AI a turn. No wonder players frequently resort to winfinite teams.
    Can't really say I pay attention to the enemy team ups. Specially those with high cost like Penance Stare. I always run 3star Widow, Storm and Magneto, and all TU tiles on the board belong to the latter two. I finished this BE with no problems.

(But someone used a Penance Stare team up against my Quicksilver in the PVP. Instant down, of course.)
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kjempen wrote:
    Sometimes it seems the game is designed to make you lose unless you never give the AI a turn. No wonder players frequently resort to winfinite teams.

On the 2* tier, it's absolutely essential that you end a round with a power, and then do your best to stun or eliminate heroes or goons capable of matching tiles. It can be dicey.

The 3* tier is a little more forgiving. You still want to try to deny power use upon turn rollover, but if you miss one you generally just take damage, not a downed character or wipe.

4* tier, you're guaranteed to win, but you still want to mitigate damage. Muscle nodes can put some serious hurt on your characters, even downing 1-2 before the win.

5* tier, you collect your 3* and move on.
  • Pope Belligerent
    mega ghost wrote:
    My new go-to team is Jean Grey, Kingpin, and Star-Lord. Kingpin and Star-Lord alone are a devastating pair when facing off against goons as Kingpin's yellow makes Star-Lord's red a cheap one-hit kill machine in most situations, and Star-Lord's yellow passive fires almost every turn and makes getting everyone's attacks out easy. That includes Jean Grey's purple and green, her purple which of course also eliminates enemy countdowns, strikes, etc.

Up until recently I was relying on 3-stars for BE, and my go-to was Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Cap. After that, it became Professor X, Scarlet Witch, and Magneto.

My usual is 3Clops/3Hulk/Doom, which usually sails right through BE with Doom's blueflag.png feeding Cyc's blackflag.png and Hulk tanking damage. But yesterday's symbiote festival tore them apart. I switched doctors from Doom to Strange (they promised I could keep my doctor! Thanks Obama!) and had no problems. Today I went back to my default team and breezed through BE again.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,761 Chairperson of the Boards
    We had 4 waves of sentries a couple weeks ago, didn't we? Why aren't we calling that one the worst Enchilada?

Almost, TBE of 22 Nov was:
    Sentry Gunner Lv92 - Criterion Lv95 - Sentry Fighter Lv90
    Sentry Gunner Lv101 - Cap Marvel star.pngstar.png Lv110 - Sentry Fighter Lv104
    Sentry Gunner Lv112 - Sentry Fighter Lv114 - Criterion Lv113
    Decoy Lv123 - Brawler Lv124 - Decoy Lv125

https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=39967&start=360

Definitely no fun at all.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    My advice to anyone listening is to get a usable 3strange with 5 in yellow as soon as you can. No goons, not even the dreaded sentries, will offer you any worries. Buddy him up with a damage dealer like 3cyke to quickly take out the one non-goon in DDQ waves and enjoy your 3* cover.

If 3strange isn't available, IM40/3cap with any green user is a goon's worst nightmare. Once IM40 fills 3cap with redflag.png use his shield to take out countdown tiles when they reach 1. You get the AP back and before long you have shields bouncing back and forth all over the place. Set IM40's blueflag.png to 5 and use it to eliminate large chunks of health at the beginning of each wave. 3bullseye is a good third because his greenflag.png gives you great board control and his purpleflag.png will take out those annoying symbiote tiles. But... this team isn't as effective against sentries because you lose control of the board, which you need with all of the yellow and red countdown tiles you'll want to protect.
  • Spidurman27
    Spidurman27 Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    2 red surfer, Mohawk, and Strang3. Strange replaced OBW.

Great balance hits hard enough for DDQ. The original lineup was amazing at ap generating and slowing down cd tiles. The new lineup my base goal is zero damage. It's generally attainable as long as Teen Jean doesn't obliterate me in wave 2. Undefeated with the Strange variant, one loss ever long long ago pre Mohawk champing with the prior.
  • BigRussian
    BigRussian Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    I have exclusively used Team Twilight everyday for over a year.

Beast, Blade, SW.

Try it. Full rainbow. Its fun. It dominates BE. Normally with no life loss.

Hey Pun. I tried this combo yesterday and it worked well. Only complaint was, technically, they are missing a red power - I don't count Blade's passive as a red. More like, don't match any red, and we're good, hehe. I liked the combo and will use it again!