Favorite Character Cover Art

Peelman
Peelman Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
edited December 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
A bit random and a bit off-topic, but what is your favorite character cover art?

The reason I'm asking is that I'll be at a convention at the end of the month where Stan Lee will be appearing. I was thinking about getting him to sign a physical copy of a cover from a character in MPQ. Having a tough time picking which one though.

My wife and I both play. I'm a 3* player about to make the 4* transition and she's more of a casual player. If I was basing it strictly on my favorite character, I'd have to go with 3* Luke Cage. However, Luke Cage wasn't one of the hundreds of characters Stan Lee created, so it feels like there may be a more appropriate option.

A better choice may be getting a reprint of Amazing Fantasy #15, the first appearance of Spider-Man and cover art for 1* Spider-Man Original. ... but, that's a character we don't even roster. Maybe get the cover of 1* Jugs?

What other ideas are out there? An obvious choice I'm missing?

Comments

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Get yourself a reprint of something he had an actual hand in creating. So yeah, like Amazing Fantasy or X Men...they have those marvel milestone editions.

Personally, I think it's just odd when people get him to sign random modern comics that he is only attached to because he long ago created some of the characters.

But you're paying for the auto, so get what will make yourself happy in the long run.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Amazing Fantasy 15 would be the obvious choice since that’s the only cover in the game for a book Stan actually wrote (currently. Did he write the original Devil Dino cover? That may have been all Kirby). But…. I hear that issue might be a little pricey and hard to find. Maybe if there's a collectible reprint at the show?

I think any character he actually co-created would be fine. Spidey, the FF,…. I hate what Marvel’s been doing with the Inhumans in their comics the last few years, but that Medusa cover is a very nice piece of art. Just avoid Deadpool, any of the alt universe Gwens, or any character really since the 70’s. He probably be fine signing it if you explained it was for a fan community of a game inspired by his characters (or if you’re playing him. Nuff Said).
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just to reiterate what other have said. Ask him to sign something he actually wrote/drew. As far as value goes, it will probably hurt the value of the comic to have stan's autograph on a comic that he wasn't intimately involved in.

One idea if your just looking for a cool memoribilia item is to frame the comic with another stan lee item/signature. You see Pawn stars do this alot with their collectible items. The packaging and framing is what makes your item sellable to the general public vs an informed collector thats trying to filling out a hole in their collection.

So a nice framed package with an important comic, a sign print/momento from stan, and selfie of you and stan is a great conversation starter piece in your home and something that can be assembled very affordably and you can break the collection apart to sell it to another collection or just replace the selfie picture with something valuable to the other collector.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    FF #51. This man, this monster.

One of his best imo. Course the FF are my favourite team and that's my favourite run in comics so I'm biased a little icon_e_smile.gif
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    I'm affraid there's not a single cover in the game I would like to have Stan signed. With a couple of exceptions, they all are too new and unrelated to him.

Which gives me an idea: since we have special covers from time to time (STEAM, cosplay month), it would be nice do something similar every now and then to showcase the work of classic artists.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    The man's name is on every single comic book put out by Marvel for the last 50 years. He's also one of the most fan-friendly and nicest guys you'll meet. Talk to him, tell him (briefly) why you're a Marvel fanatic, and he'll be happy to sign any Marvel property you place in front of him.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Omega Red wrote:
    I'm affraid there's not a single cover in the game I would like to have Stan signed. .

Amazing Fantasy 15? Arguably the most important comic Marvel ever published.
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    Omega Red wrote:
    I'm affraid there's not a single cover in the game I would like to have Stan signed. .

But also the most predictable and boring choice. That cover might be the one with the most Stan Lee's signatures ever!

I would rather have him sign me a copy of amazing spiderman 76 or 87 which are significant to me for personal reasons.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Omega Red wrote:
    I'm affraid there's not a single cover in the game I would like to have Stan signed. With a couple of exceptions, they all are too new and unrelated to him.

Which gives me an idea: since we have special covers from time to time (STEAM, cosplay month), it would be nice do something similar every now and then to showcase the work of classic artists.

I want my Kirby Devil Dinosaur cover back!
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu wrote:
    The man's name is on every single comic book put out by Marvel for the last 50 years. He's also one of the most fan-friendly and nicest guys you'll meet. Talk to him, tell him (briefly) why you're a Marvel fanatic, and he'll be happy to sign any Marvel property you place in front of him.

I think the fact that you're paying for the autograph is more than enough...he'd sign a superman comic if you have it to him.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Omega Red wrote:
    Omega Red wrote:

But also the most predictable and boring choice. That cover might be the one with the most Stan Lee's signatures ever!

I would rather have him sign me a copy of amazing spiderman 76 or 87 which are significant to me for personal reasons.

Fair enough, mate; we've all got issues like that icon_e_smile.gif
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Omega Red wrote:

This probably deserves its own topic but I'm with you 100%. I have a mental list that goes something like this:

1. Amazing Fantasy #15 (first appearance of Spider-Man - their eventual logo)
    2. Fantastic Four #1 (the dawn of the Marvel age)
    3. Giant-Sized X-Men #1 (prior to this, the X-Men were on the verge of cancellation)
    4. Amazing Spider-Man #121 (the death of Gwen Stacy)
    5. Secret Wars #1 (1984) (the first ever big blockbuster limited-series crossover event)
  • LakeStone
    LakeStone Posts: 1,377 Community Moderator
    Peelman wrote:
    A bit random and a bit off-topic, but what is your favorite character cover art?

The reason I'm asking is that I'll be at a convention at the end of the month where Stan Lee will be appearing. I was thinking about getting him to sign a physical copy of a cover from a character in MPQ. Having a tough time picking which one though.

My wife and I both play. I'm a 3* player about to make the 4* transition and she's more of a casual player. If I was basing it strictly on my favorite character, I'd have to go with 3* Luke Cage. However, Luke Cage wasn't one of the hundreds of characters Stan Lee created, so it feels like there may be a more appropriate option.

A better choice may be getting a reprint of Amazing Fantasy #15, the first appearance of Spider-Man and cover art for 1* Spider-Man Original. ... but, that's a character we don't even roster. Maybe get the cover of 1* Jugs?

What other ideas are out there? An obvious choice I'm missing?

My favorite is the Peggy Carter Comic Cover followed by Howard the Duck comic cover (I'm bias though, I'm a huge Howard the Duck fan).
  • waywreth
    waywreth Posts: 303 Mover and Shaker
    I was just going to say the Peggy Carter is my current favorite cover in the game as well Lakestone!

My next two favorites are Black Bolt and Moon Knight.
  • PFellah
    PFellah Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Setting aside the the ethical "should you ask Stan Lee to sign something he didn't personally participate in" question, and just focusing on the artwork, my personal favorite is probably Human Torch Classic -- and if you want to broaden it to a Top 3, put X-Force Wolverine and Miles Morales in the other two spots.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you can get an autograph from Stan the Man, make it one he created. 1* Spiderman is a great choice. Any member of the Fantastic Four or original X-men, as well. I don't know his involvement in the entire line, but the inhumans, various wolverines, and the spider- and gwen- offshoots aren't really his. He's a nice enough guy I'm sure he'd still sign them, but it'd be better to get his signature on something he made. Don't consider roster strength at all.