How likely are you to recommend Marvel Puzzle Quest?

Comments

• Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Voted 2.

I would not recommend the game even if I am enjoying it a lot on daily basis (sometimes not at all... but often). The game is TOP for free to play experience and the changes made in recent weeks make it more playable. That being said - 108 (soon 109) characters needed for the full experience (skipping most 1* as you only need one), millions of iso to cover them (when you get ~10k per day, some get more, I know). Each has 3 covers but you will RNG the dupes to death. There is a new one every 2 weeks. Easy to make early mistakes (like pulling 5* when you are 2* player cos the LT is so nice and lovely). You can't win anything (I mean like literally taking first place - in over 2 years I've done it once or twice in PvE and never in PvP... and probably 7-10 times in DDQ) as there is always somebody bigger and stronger than you taking the place (or crazier, grinding the 1 point noes to death).

Long story short - you can't catch up with vets, you will be discouraged by the scores (when you have 300 in PvP the winner will have 2000) and the progression is steady but too slow. Plus the new releases make it slower and slower each two weeks.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    smkspy wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Man, so much Stockholm Syndrome. If you are so miserable why do you keep playing? icon_e_sad.gif

Anyway, I rated it 8.

At least, you admit you're suffering from it. That's the first step on th road to recovery.

Hm? Did you read my post beyond that? I actually enjoy the game. There's no suffering, no playing /in spite/ of whatever, no masochism. I really do have fun. (most of the time). When it's getting a bit too much, I just take a breather of one or two events and it's all good.
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Man, so much Stockholm Syndrome. If you are so miserable why do you keep playing?

That is because there is a difference between starting with a 1* roster and a developed 4* roster.

We are never going to end up finishing this race (aka maxing every 5* char) as the Finishing Line keeps moving forward, but for me it is okay to be 3km away from it, instead of 20km away (the Starting Line).

And since you have been running this race for a long time, you have kinda gotten use to it icon_e_wink.gif

Well, I'm indeed much closer than you to the theoretical moving goal... but I'm not in a hurry to get there? For what I've heard, once you get even closer, your scaling goes crazy and you have to play only with 5*s which makes for a very limited roster, i.e. limited possibilities, limited fun. You don't have to have the latest and bestest toys to enjoy yourself. I had a great time during my 3* land period and although by the time I felt I should be moving on, the progression was more difficult than I'd have liked, much of that has been improved since my time there. And nowadays there's heaps of iso and HP, plus increased possibilities to get 4*s across the board. I expect that a savvy F2P player would be able to reach the point where I am today in year and a half, instead of the 3 years it's taken me.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    Very unlikely, I needed about 50 roster slots when I started. That seemed an achievable target, I had no idea how many characters would get released and if I did I wouldn't have carried on. I now have 118 roster slots. There's no way I'd subject that to a new player.

They have to start giving every new player all the 2 stars from day 1 or give the first 50 roster slots for free. Its a very enjoyable game but you have to have got in early or first 12-18 months or it's not worth it unless you want to spend 50k.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards

Reason:
    Game is good but shows an alarming lack of polish and testing that make it frustrating to play longterm.
  • kobu
    kobu Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    1, or super hesitantly.

There's just so little payoff for time invested. All PVE events are slogs if you go for anywhere near a full clear. Thinking of where I'd be with a top tier roster too...well, I'd still be doing 5 extraneous clears of nodes of the same enemies ad nauseam. Whoopee. PVP is no better really if you're shooting for top progression or placement. Put them together and it's only suited for people with literally nothing better to do than play a match 3 game for hours and hours.
  • broll
    Tony Foot wrote:
    Very unlikely, I needed about 50 roster slots when I started. That seemed an achievable target, I had no idea how many characters would get released and if I did I wouldn't have carried on. I now have 118 roster slots. There's no way I'd subject that to a new player.

They have to start giving every new player all the 2 stars from day 1 or give the first 50 roster slots for free. Its a very enjoyable game but you have to have got in early or first 12-18 months or it's not worth it unless you want to spend 50k.

As someone who started less than a year ago I agree, but think you're exaggerating some. I did whale a little bit my first month and that definitely helped get over the early hump, but 50K icon_rolleyes.gif

What they need to do is:
    1. Drop the 1* tier all together
    2. Redo the prologue with 2* characters (maybe even a few 3* covers near the end)
    3. Remove Standard Tokens and fully replace with Elite Tokens.
    4. Redo the tutorials to explain that it's inadvisable to focus on getting 5* and/or leveling 4*/5* characters really early. Maybe even make it a certain SCL (4 or 5 at lowest) requirement before you can even open the Legends packs.

The 1* characters become useless (outside of the 1 for DDQ) in less than a month of play. Why have people even waste their time there? I spent so much ISO on 1*s I ended up selling later because they were of no benefit. Also I leveled several 4* and 5* characters because obviously characters at level 255 & 70 would be much better than my ones in their 20s, which it turns out is right for the prologue, but wrong almost everywhere else in the game. The prologue teaches you bad habits...

[/soapbox]
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rolled a die, came up 2 this time. RNG ratings for an RNG game FTW.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like it, but it's not a casual game. If you're not willing to spend many hours every day on it, don't bother.

It's hard to recommend such a game to others just looking for something to mess around with.
  • Roland113
    Roland113 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    I gave it an 8. I have recommended it to friends.

I've been here a little bit more than a year and it's held my interest more than other mobile games have, frankly, that's a pretty good track record for me. I'm still in the three star land, I've heard that the four star transition is longish, maybe I'll have a different opinion when I get there. It probably helps that I don't play PvP. I tried it a few times and it was very demoralizing.

During my time here, I've seen some huge changes, I've seen the introduction of the clearance levels and the general increase of ISO flow. From my stand point, the devs are addressing long standing issues, maybe I'm lucky enough that I'm reaping the benefits of the first couple generations of players and your comments are helping me out.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    babinro wrote:

While I'm not exactly thrilled about the state of the endgame I feel like MPQ is a GREAT game for people to at least check out and get a feel for.

The amount of ISO being handed out these days is insane. By the time you reach 'vet' status you can remain free to play, keep up with ISO demands of new character releases and the HP demands of roster slots.

The game heavily rewards DDQ and PvE which is PERFECT for anyone whose new to the game.

We no longer have a game where placement is king. There are objectively good rewards for people finishing in the top 200 which is perfect for people who aren't playing super hardcore or optimized.

Is that true? is a top 200 finish really useful when you are playing CL 1 or 2 like most new players? I agree that placement is now significantly less important than it used to be for us vets. But I haven't had any direct experience with the lowest levels of play since sometime in 2014. Not saying you are wrong, just honestly curious.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Agree with most others. It's odd because I love playing the game - but only because I've been playing for 2 years and have spent a good bit of money on the game. For a friend to start and get that same level of enjoyment is just not possible at this point. The RNG-based progression makes it especially frustrating without any repeatable content that would allow for time played to make up for poor luck on draws.
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    I put 8. I have only been playing 5 months, but i have every character other than Green Goblin and Kingpin. I have 21 3 stars champed and 7 others max covered (starving for iso!). I am not bragging, but i am saying that it does not take too much time to be competitive in PVE and PVP. I am not unrealistic. I try for top 50 PVE and PVP, shooting for 650 in PVP when i have the required character champed.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd never recommend it because I don't really have any "gamer" friends. People I know think of "gaming" as "playing two rounds of PVP in Destiny once a week." If I told them to check out this mobile app and by the way you'll need to either play daily for 6 months or spend a couple grand to be competitive, they'd look at me like I was crazy and probably call me an addict.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll wrote:
    As someone who started less than a year ago I agree, but think you're exaggerating some. I did whale a little bit my first month and that definitely helped get over the early hump, but 50K icon_rolleyes.gif

[/soapbox]

As in HP not cash icon_e_biggrin.gif When I started I needed to add 20k HP fast to make sure I could roster everything I earnt. I have never thrown anything away through not having roster slots. I'd need 50k if I started again tomorrow and played at the same rate as I did when I started the first time. In fact it would be worse because I'd also be getting 4 stars from semi casual play in pve.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Too many bugs.
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    a 3.

Progression is still too random. I have 5 unusable 4* covers in my queue that I can't use (4hor, Ant-man, and Fury) that i can't use because they're all at x/x/5. I know that the meta has moved to 5*'s, but for many of us, 4's are still rare enough that wasting a cover is really frustrating (especially when both Storm and KK give 4hor Blue at champ level 183). There's just too many random small but meaningful changes they could make to improve gameplay for everyone (with all due respect to the good changes that they have been making)
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    I put 8. I have only been playing 5 months, but i have every character other than Green Goblin and Kingpin. I have 21 3 stars champed and 7 others max covered (starving for iso!). I am not bragging, but i am saying that it does not take too much time to be competitive in PVE and PVP. I am not unrealistic. I try for top 50 PVE and PVP, shooting for 650 in PVP when i have the required character champed.

You're leaving a lot out of your story considering it takes a few hundred days minimum to fully cover a 3 star with DDQ and their rotations in pve/pvp, and thats if yo started with all of the 3 stars to begin with

Like you are leaving something huge and green out or leaving out the people who helped you get there. icon_e_confused.gif

It doesn't take time to be competitive in this game?

Thats like resource number 1 it takes besides money.
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    GurlBYE wrote:

You're leaving a lot out of your story considering it takes a few hundred days minimum to fully cover a 3 star with DDQ and their rotations in pve/pvp, and thats if yo started with all of the 3 stars to begin with

Like you are leaving something huge and green out or leaving out the people who helped you get there. icon_e_confused.gif

It doesn't take time to be competitive in this game?

Thats like resource number 1 it takes besides money.

Huge and Green? I've been VIP since I've started. I've bought 2 Logan's Loonies and an Asgard treasure during the anniversary sale. That's not much investment(definitely not huge) for a game i've played every single day since June. In August, I joined a top 100 PVE finishing alliance and that has helped. Obviously it takes time per day to be competitive, but you can still have fun and compete with players who have been here for years.

https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/shartattack/
    alliance: lock and load 9
  • broll
    Huge and Green?

Actually he meant the Hulk. The Hulk helped you get there.
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    mpqr7 wrote:
    I like it, but it's not a casual game. If you're not willing to spend many hours every day on it, don't bother.

It's hard to recommend such a game to others just looking for something to mess around with.

Pretty much my sentiment. Here's the thing: The game is very accesible and attractive to the casual gamer because of the match-three mechanics and the property it's based on. However, the game itself is nerdy and aimed to the hardcore mentality.

Almost all my friends "like" Marvel the way things are liked in Facebook in this age. They like the characters, the movies, maybe a cartoon, but most of them haven't read a single comic-book in their lives. Given how the game is about building and leveling characters over a long period of time, you need players with geek-level obsession to retain their interest.

On the other hand, the game itself. My family always mocks me about how I play "candy crush with superheroes". Well, candy crush is a game you play on your commute or during a bathroom break. You clear a couple of levels, unlock the next level, earn a booster and you are done. MPQ is competitive, has a somewhat complex metagame and requires time, planning and dedication. You can certainly play it casual and enjoy it but the bottom line is that this is not a game for your average movie-goer fan looking to match gems. It's a game for comic-book geeks who like being competitive, managing resources, building and leveling over time, setting goals and meeting them.