Points less than advertised?

Cpl Toast
Cpl Toast Posts: 3
Maybe this has already been discussed and answered already (did some searching but didn't find anything), but every so often I'll play a PvP match, in this case in the SHIELD Simulator, that says is worth X points. After finishing it, I get a decent amount less than what was initially said. Recently I went into a match worth 51 points, and after completing it only received 36. Is there some other factor here that I'm unaware of, or is this just a bug I'm hitting?

Comments

• GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, there's about 800 threads on this topic.

Basic gist is this: The value you see is based on a calculation that uses your score compared to their score at the time they are queued. The value that you actually score is based on that same calculation, using your score compared to their current score.

For instance. You have 500, opponent is queued at 500. Value will show 38 points, which will remain unchanged in the display from that point.

If that player has a current score of 1000 points, you will get 71 points.
    If that player has a current score of 250 points, you will get 14 points.
  • Ah, that makes sense I guess. Thanks for the info!
  • Skygazing
    Skygazing Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Basic gist is this: The value you see is based on a calculation that uses your score compared to their score at the time they are queued. The value that you actually score is based on that same calculation, using your score compared to their current score.

For instance. You have 500, opponent is queued at 500. Value will show 38 points, which will remain unchanged in the display from that point.

To add to this it seems that the point values can update, but only based on fluctuations in your own score and not the opponent's. So if you were to drop from something like 800 to 600 a node that previously showed a value of let's say 25 could shoot up to maybe 40, but if that person's score has dropped significantly it might actually be worth a lot less.

While it's overall problematic, this can actually work in your favor once you understand it. If someone beats you early on in an event you might see a low value retal but closer to the end you might actually get way more points than it advertises. As an example, this past PvP I got hit only a few hours into the event by someone I know usually scores pretty high. I saved the retal until my final climb and even though it displayed something like 20ish points, it actually gave me something closer to 65.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    simulator is not the type of event where you can get a good queue and hold for very long. most players make a push for 2k at some point during the season and then get beat down and do some yo-yoing for iso and there is nearly as much movement down as there is up once you're above about 1600 or so. general pvp most (but not all) scores generally rise throughout the event, so there is less risk. you still have outlier cases of someone climbing to a progression and then letting if fall or a sniper or enforcer who dumps points for their dirty work to work better.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Cpl Toast wrote:
    Ah, that makes sense I guess. Thanks for the info!

Welcome to the forum icon_e_smile.gif