Forum thread

aesthetocyst
aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
Forum thread

Comments

• CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well thought through and presented as always!

Placing top 10 in 7 vs top 100 in 8 I think gains me less than 2000 iso based on that scoring. What isn't quantifiable here is the buzz of chasing a higher place - hitting top 5 earlier this season felt massive for me (a subsequently having no hope of reaching it again a bitter disappointment) and so I've become more engaged with pvp again, one or two hops to keep placement, rather than hit 900 and shield out like I was in the recent past.
    Escaping from the shadows of the whales was fantastic, and made me (artificially I know) feel like I'd really progressed. Having them drop down and come above me is disheartening, but not too bad as I came to terms a long time ago that I'd never be a top dog, but if more were to drop, and I was to get pushed clear of top 10, that would take away excitement, and I'd probably revert to 900 and shield out mode.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Interesting that the difference in value between 900 and 1200 progression increases until SCL6, from which point is seems to stick at about 900.

Would you guys just hire aes as an analyst already?
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Man, I want to like these posts but I am not making goods with the numbers. Numbers make do hards in my thinkmeats.

I'll just assume this is stellar data analysis and carry on. Well done sir.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hope you're receiving College Credit (or other monetary value) for all the statistical work you do for this game icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    You used the same color for two of the lines in the individual rewards. You also didn't number the clearance levels, which made it confusing on first glance. Although I think a bar chart alone without any line is a better option for displaying the data, and then to have the numbers on the bottom. Thanks for putting the time into this.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    notamutant wrote:
    You used the same color for two of the lines in the individual rewards. You also didn't number the clearance levels, which made it confusing on first glance. Although I think a bar chart alone without any line is a better option for displaying the data, and then to have the numbers on the bottom. Thanks for putting the time into this.

51-100 and 251-500? Nah, those are magenta and purple (although that's a controversial color distinction round here, especially with Aes being an avowed Pinkist).
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Man, if they kept the progression rewards' curve that they were tracing from SCL1-5, to reach 1200 in SCL8 would give like 16k Iso. Which I think wouldn't be unreasonable for the 4* and 5* players attempting it?
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    notamutant wrote:

Thanks for feedback.

The plot of individual rewards is published from a Google sheet (the alliance plot is just a still image). Thought I'd give that a go, since it would auto-update after edits. And hey, it does. But their interface ... cripes. They've overhauled it again, and it's simplistic and opaque. I did finally get the column labels to appear.

And yes, 3 shades of orange. 2 auto-selected (bad, google, bad), and the other, the 1st place line, I made gold(ish). Cause its 1st place. Ha.

Don't like the hybrid line-and-columns chart? Well, trust me it looked worse when the Progression was also a line. And rendering them all as columns would be complete **** visually. It was important to get the individual placement and progression on the same plot, to help any users correlate the impact of an SCL choice on both loot piles. I was fine having the alliance rewards separate because they are a relatively minor consideration, IME. Am I wrong there?

Need to add an easier way to make out what placement/SCL combo is equivalent to what placement/SCL combo. For instance, placing 2-5 in SCL 8 beats 1st in SCL 7; finishing 2-5 in SCL 7 beats finishing 6-10 in SCL 8. You can get that from this chart but you have to (haha) read between the lines.

I was expecting criticism of some of the equivalencies (1hp = 4.5iso??? 1cp = 57.5iso???). Maybe that will be along shortly.

I am used to fooling around in Excel to make graphs to present at board meetings (work in finance). I never used Google much for charts. Even though it is very similar to Excel, it always felt a bit clunky to me. It is difficult to find a way to visually present data that is both an accurate representation and useful. I have literally spent an entire day before at work trying to come up with a new way to present data. I do think having the alliance rewards separate is good. Having too much information on one chart is just confusing. My personal favorite when it comes to chart design is where you have colored bars with a data table below each bar. That way you can get rid of the colored lines. Alternatively, get rid of the bars and show only a line like you did with the alliance chart. Then the table below could have the data for 900 and 1200, but you would only show a line for the 900 or 1200. It really is difficult figuring out how to present it clearly, because you have 8 tiers, with combination of progression and placement rewards that don't always tie together.

I am guessing no one questioned your conversion rate because we are all too lazy to investigate it. There is a reason you are the one creating the graphs and not us icon_e_wink.gif
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I want to make love to your charts. And you. But mostly the charts and the hate they contain so beautifully within.