What’s the point of playing Shield Simulator?

richterbelmont10
richterbelmont10 Posts: 186
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So I usually play in the Shield Simulator when I'm bored and when I'm finished with Story and current PvP. I collected all the progression rewards except the last 4, which consist of some ISO, a 3* Strange cover (which I plan to get), and a 4* Blade cover (which I am neither collecting nor have the roster space for). At this point I'm just floating around and getting beaten down. For some reason, I thought that points lost in the Simulator did not affect my Season score, but it seems like it does. I don't have HP to spend shield-hopping in the Simulator. I'm in 549th place with 1488 points now, but I usually get beaten down to about 1000th place to float. There are 14 days left in the Season. I plan on getting the Dr. Strange cover, but other than that, is there any point in playing the Simulator? Or should I just ignore it for the next 2 weeks?

Comments

• Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    The point is the 4* progression reward (which is a must-get for most players) and adding points to your season score. If you care for neither, then there's no much point, I guess.
  • Pylgrim wrote:
    The point is the 4* progression reward (which is a must-get for most players) and adding points to your season score. If you care for neither, then there's no much point, I guess.
    I care about adding points to my Season score. But the points I make today will just be lost tomorrow.
  • TimGunn
    TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    the point is to get the progression

no prizes for placement

points do tie into your season score and season placement, but it sounds like you don't place that high in pvp yet, so don't see any reason to worry too much about your end of season pvp placement

would NOT use hp on shields in simiulator--save it for roster spots!
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    1 free covers
    2 free iso
    3 supplement season score
  • TimGunn wrote:

no prizes for placement

points do tie into your season score and season placement, but it sounds like you don't place that high in pvp yet, so don't see any reason to worry too much about your end of season pvp placement

I am saving my HP for roster spots.
    fmftint wrote:
    1 free covers
    2 free iso
    I get that. But don't lose the points for the Season score when you get attacked? The more I play in the Simulator, the less points matches are worth, and the more I get attacked and pushed back down. It's frustrating.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    The general best way to play Shield Sim (IMO) is to find your float level, then one day (somewhere between now and 4-5 days to go) play and go up to the highest reward you plan to, then just ignore it after that until the last day, at which point you're playing to add points to your season score. But to answer your basic question, I think, unless you're trying to reach for one of the higher goals that night, there's no point in playing Sheild Sim above your float point except for ISO and possible 2* covers.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    TimGunn wrote:

no prizes for placement

I am saving my HP for roster spots.
    fmftint wrote:
    1 free covers
    2 free iso
    I get that. But don't lose the points for the Season score when you get attacked? The more I play in the Simulator, the less points matches are worth, and the more I get attacked and pushed back down. It's frustrating.

Getting the progression rewards which are all really helpful (especially the 4*) is much easier as the season gets closer to the end but there is a point of diminishing returns on the last couple of days. Starting out with a couple of fights a day for the first week until you hit your float point. Try to shoot for the top reward 4 to 5 days out and time it so that you are playing at the same time a different event is ending (either a busy PVP slice like slice 4 or the last day of a PVE slice 3,4 or 5) since that will thin out the amount of people playing. By waiting that long you increase your chances of getting high point matches since there will be more points overall which means less matches to get to the rewards. Don't be afraid to boost once you get within the last two hundred points as speed matters there and hits will come in if you have a weaker roster. Once you've got the reward you will be hit back down to your float point.

Outside of the rewards and the season score you can also use Shield Simulator to mine ISO. After you get knocked back down to your float point you will have plenty of retaliations in your queue. Find the ones you want since skipping retals won't cost you the 30 ISO bonus and hit them without regard to the score since it will jump up only to go back down when the people hit you back. This can be a nice steady stream of ISO since you get the 30 per match plus whatever reward you get and the occasional 2* drop.
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Get the progression reward you want/can get and then float back down. Hit as high as you want/can 24hrs before the season ends and shield if you really want the rewards for Season placement.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    yup, I play for iso. I wait to climb late so I can hit 2000 easily. But in the meantime, I just play it to get the iso. I get closer and closer to 2000 each day. I kinda can see the points building up in the event since my float goes up as well. I stop once I hit 2000 though. I know I still get iso, but there's no real goal for me anymore so I can't play after 2000.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I generally climb to 2k with about 2 weeks left to go and then free fall. I've gone down as low as 1300. But when I'm bored and want to fight a little, I go back in and climb. Who cares if you get hit back down again after that? It's only for the ISO at that point.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Sim is a great place to try out some other team combos as well. Try taking on some bigger teams than maybe you are used to. Or work on taking out stronger teams with your defensive team rather than your offensive one.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Orion wrote:
    I generally climb to 2k with about 2 weeks left to go and then free fall. I've gone down as low as 1300. But when I'm bored and want to fight a little, I go back in and climb. Who cares if you get hit back down again after that? It's only for the ISO at that point.

That's exactly what I always do. I get a nice feeling of accomplishment hitting the top progression and then just let everyone feed off me, if they can. That way others can maybe climb and hit max progression too =)
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just play it for giggles since it's the only place you get to pick your whole team and have no boosts basically forcing you to use certain characters.

This is after I've already gotten the cover at 2k, of course.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    Jarvind wrote:
    I just play it for giggles since it's the only place you get to pick your whole team and have no boosts basically forcing you to use certain characters.

This is after I've already gotten the cover at 2k, of course.
    I play for giggles after I hit 2000 sometimes. It's nice to know you have to power to ruin or make someone's day. Depending on how I feel, i will retal someone who I know is climbing. Most of the time, i will lose on purpose to push their points up a little. But if I am feeling mischievous, or if that person has been double tapping me all day in other pvps as well, I am gonna knock them back down. The worse offenders of double taps, I will wait a good 2-10 minutes to do it so it hurts more.
  • monsieurmojo
    monsieurmojo Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Orion wrote:

This is exactly how I play as well, richter. I hit 2000 today, and almost immediately lost 300 points. Probably drop back to around 1000-1200, and climb on and off for the next two weeks when I'm bored for ISO.

Plus, even if you have no interest in that Blade cover (I get it, but that's his one power that you *should* want), you really want those Strange covers. He's a goon-killing machine.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been advocating for the removal of SHIELD Simulator from season for almost two years. It's pointless to have it tied to the season. Unbind it from the season, adjust progressions, and reset the event every 2-4 weeks.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been advocating for the removal of SHIELD Simulator from season for almost two years. It's pointless to have it tied to the season. Unbind it from the season, adjust progressions, and reset the event every 2-4 weeks.
    Since I don't hit much past 800 in PVP, the Shield Simulator is the only thing that helps me get anywhere near the CP in Season progression.

With my taking PVP super relaxed these last 2 seasons, SHIELD Simulator was the only thing getting me to the 10-pack.

I'd be bummed to see it removed from season.
  • Beastwood
    Beastwood Posts: 68 Match Maker
    JVReal wrote:
    Since I don't hit much past 800 in PVP, the Shield Simulator is the only thing that helps me get anywhere near the CP in Season progression.

With my taking PVP super relaxed these last 2 seasons, SHIELD Simulator was the only thing getting me to the 10-pack.

Same really, if it weren't for the simulator i doubt i'd hit the 10 pack, i usually take about 300-400 from pvp events, i did at some points burn up to 700ish but it got me so cheesed at being 20 points from 800 or 900 and coming out of a fight to see i lost 100+ points and seeing it happen a good few times i gave up on pushing for the high end of it, i haven't got HP to be shielding and maintaining a vigil and my defense squad well i have no idea who's on defense but considering how often i get hit they must be the 4 or 5 * 1/0/0 kinda covers :/
  • Is very usefull for improve your squad with 3* or 4* characters, to win iso and points to progress in the pvp classification.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Beastwood wrote:
    JVReal wrote:

Same really, if it weren't for the simulator i doubt i'd hit the 10 pack, i usually take about 300-400 from pvp events, i did at some points burn up to 700ish but it got me so cheesed at being 20 points from 800 or 900 and coming out of a fight to see i lost 100+ points and seeing it happen a good few times i gave up on pushing for the high end of it, i haven't got HP to be shielding and maintaining a vigil and my defense squad well i have no idea who's on defense but considering how often i get hit they must be the 4 or 5 * 1/0/0 kinda covers :/
    That's why I said adjust progressions.