Why can't I buy the first color of a power with cp?

VizMantis
VizMantis Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I've had a 0/5/5 Nova for some time now. I've trashed at least 10 black Nova covers in the meantime. I would be totally willing to finish him off with cp at this point, but for some reason I need to wait on the heretofore cruel RNG to give me that first red.

For the life of me, I can't think of why that's a restriction. I guess it prevents whales from whaling characters somewhat faster? But that doesn't seem like its a big enough factor, and I thought devs liked whales whalin. Am I failing to consider something, or should I be posting in the suggestion forum? I've got punmax and kingpin in the same boat and while I don't like trading 6 LT draws for 1 cover, at this point it seems like it would be smart if possible. Trashing covers makes me sad.

Comments

• metallion
    metallion Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Maybe because making whales whale tokens for that first cover makes them even more money? Because when they cant get that last color they will just keep whaling tokens to get it. My Venom has also been in this situation since forever, I've lost count of how many black and green covers I've thrown away for my 5/5/0 Venom
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    This restriction comes from the times where you could buy covers with HP, when it was way cheaper than now. At that time you could buy any 4 cover for just 2500HP. This meant than once you got a cover in each color with you could buy a Stark and then you would be able to max any 4. So Devs decided that it made sense to force people to at least get one cover for each color by playing or by opening tokens, which basically implied that you needed two or three Starks to whale a char if you were not able to place top1 or wait until you could get those 3 covers by playing.

Now things are quite different, one 4 cover is worth 120 CPs (!!!), and one 5 is 720(!!!!!!), so, basically no one whales them by buying the covers with CPs. All whales buy covers when the char is featured (5%) if we are talking 4s, or they just wait until they do pulls for 5s. It is much much expensive than before. So I agree there is really no need to have the same limitations than we had before, and it really makes no sense to force you to buy tokens when CPs are so much more expensive to get.
  • The reason is bad game design mostly.
  • SlappyDingle
    SlappyDingle Posts: 60 Match Maker
    My 0/4/5 OML would love a black in this manner.