Those not-so RNG moments

smkspy
smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
We all have them, you magically start pulling cover after cover a particular character at a particular time. So let's here your best and weirdest not so-rng moments.

one of my favorites I call the double enchilada day, is when you pull the featured big enchilada 3 star out of the taco vault.

Well, today, I play by two token rounds and with two pulls I pull two bulleyes.

But it didn't stop there, I get my token from the last pve sub and what do I pull? Another Bullseye token.

Now I'm sure rng is rng, but I sometimes have to wonder if the coding that speciifically pulls a cover for a character whether they are in progression of pve/pvp or the big enchilada has a slight overriding effect on the odds of rng.

Comments

• alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    An evenly distributed pattern isn't random - randomness is characterised by clumping its just not what people think of as random.

And given the 3*s in the big enchilada are more highly represented in the vault for those 5 days you are more likely to draw a character you do the big enchilada for in the same week and therefore the same day isn't that usual given the vault changes every 5 days.

Maybe worth reading a bit about the mathematical concept of randomness if you are going to comment on an RNG and the examples you sight are the definition of random outcomes especially on a sample size that isn't even worthy of being called a sample.
  • smkspy
    Thanks Debby downer.

Edit: And ohhh 5 covers out of 300 is soooo prominent let me tell you. And on my 7th and 8th pull of vault I get two of them on the same day as his enchilada. Then I pulled the ONE cover his out of the prodigal son vault on the very same day.

You keep pumping that sunshine though.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Claiming that coincidences can be random is hardly pumping sunshine. The game shouldn't be as random as it is, a lot of the problems with this game come from its randomness. That doesn't change the fact that math does not support your suspicions about the game having a super-nuanced anti-random number generator that identifies dozens of little coincidences and subjects players to them, but never in a reproducible way.

Math doesn't work that way, programming doesn't work that way, statistics don't work that way. Everyone is tired of this discussion.
  • Beastwood
    Beastwood Posts: 68 Match Maker
    Well today i have had 4 moonstone purple covers, 2 wolverine covers and a storm cover,

Yesterday i had 1 moonstone cover, 1 wolverine cover and 2 storm covers,

Somewhere over the last week not sure of exact rewarding but went from having no 2* mag to having a 3/3/2 2* mag

last week with that event that had thor on essential i went from not having thor to having a 5/3/3 thor tho i think his rate was up a little bit in the event specific token, my bullseye 2* went from about 1/1/0 to 4/3/5 in a few days aswell..but yeah i have started to feel like there's a flavour of the day and i pull a good amount of the same cover on that day, i'm not moaning tho it gets my farm chars built up with covers pretty sharpish and generally in games RNG has been very kind to me.
  • TeamStewie
    TeamStewie Posts: 357 Mover and Shaker
    Yeah I seem to pull a lot of the characters that are featured at the moment. Last week I had Thors coming out of my ears.
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    Watch yourself, the MPQ science team will be on the prowl with this topic. They love to complain that this topic is brought up while E-peening via overly long, excruciatingly boring (and a bit of unjustified indignation) posts meant only to allow us to gauge the weight of there virtual brains on the matter.
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2016
    smkspy wrote:
    Thanks Debby downer.

Edit: And ohhh 5 covers out of 300 is soooo prominent let me tell you. And on my 7th and 8th pull of vault I get two of them on the same day as his enchilada. Then I pulled the ONE cover his out of the prodigal son vault on the very same day.

You know what its not worth my original response explaining the odds and how you could use that knowledge to your benefit.

RNG bad - developers bad - burn them all how could they ever possibly code a system that didn't give you exactly the cover you wanted when you wanted it.

Better? Seems unthinking acceptance that you've been wronged was what you where after regardless.
  • TeamStewie
    TeamStewie Posts: 357 Mover and Shaker
    Meow!!!!!!!!!!!
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    My last four Legendary Token pulls have all been Black Bolt. That's about the best anti-RNG streak I've had in my whole time playing this game.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    There is no such thing as anti-rng

Unless it is a vault all of your draws have no effect of the odds of the next pull
    That's not how odds work outside of the vault
    icon_lol.gif

Whether you open 90 tokens at once or 1, unless it's in a vault each pull is subject to those percentages.

The only anti-rng thing is this game is earning something in progression, rng is a buzzword for random. As in a random number generator.
  • smkspy
    alphabeta wrote:
    smkspy wrote:
    Thanks Debby downer.

You know what its not worth my original response explaining the odds and how you could use that knowledge to your benefit.

RNG bad - developers bad - burn them all how could they ever possibly code a system that didn't give you exactly the cover you wanted when you wanted it.

Better? Seems unthinking acceptance that you've been wronged was what you where after regardless.

Nope, it wasn't worth your time cause my original post had nothing to do with calling RNG bad or developers bad. Nor was I complaining about the covers that I pulled in the post. Hell, any 3 star from a token is good luck.

Believe it or not, I just found the experience humorous as it was literally pulling those 3 covers minutes apart on the same day that he was the featured character. Thought a fun thread could be had of people telling similar experiences, but can't have that. Every thread on the subject has to be numbers and defensive explanations of how the system work blah blah blah.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Well (deep breath) BACK to your topic, here's a story...

Two weeks ago, I had four Nova covers in Q for my 5/2/5 Nova (all black and red). I'd brought him to 250 and had a day left on the first cover, so I decided to roll the dice and open five LTs. Yellow Nova comes up on #5. Sometimes the weird works for you.

To clarify, so there's no confusion: The point of my post is to say "GOLLY, AIN'T THAT SOMETHIN'?" No further action is required at this time.
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 786 Critical Contributor
    Reminds me of when I was a kid collecting football stickers

I'd get the same player in three packs out of five

I do find it strange that sometimes you get repeats of the featured character on a particular week

This game can have annoying streaks of the same cover but sometimes it works to your advantage.

I went nearly 6 months without a 5* from a LT then I got 5 in a week

Worst repeat Thor 4* two yellow and two blue from five LT

Best repeat
    Two silver surfer and two oml yellow in two days

And pulled two Dr strange covers one after the other from the special vault in the anniversary event
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    3 Kate Bishop blue tokens in one day
  • Evilgenius_9
    Evilgenius_9 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    Rebuilding a 2* wolvie, currently he is 3/5/3 - with 5 more red covers sitting in my reward queue.

My 3* falcon had zero yellows for the longest time. I don't think I ever pulled a random yellow, went through enough deadpool cycles to finally champ him.
  • Kevin61
    Kevin61 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    I have had a couple of those. Had a hoard of LT's and CP several months ago (don't recall the exact amount) but during my grand opening, in a string of 5 pulls, I got 4 Iceman purple covers. Then, during the last run of the Cho event, I pulled 4 Cho blue covers in a row!
  • AlphaNik
    AlphaNik Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Quote from the first site I get in google searching "Random number Generator".
    Perhaps you have wondered how predictable machines like computers can generate randomness. In reality, most random numbers used in computer programs are pseudo-random, which means they are generated in a predictable fashion using a mathematical formula. This is fine for many purposes, but it may not be random in the way you expect if you're used to dice rolls and lottery drawings.

It's not a conspiracy theory it's just the way RNG works. To be clear (to my knowledge) when it says predictable fashion it does not mean you can predict the exact results just than in the long run the numbers will get in line with statistics. As far as I know RNGs tend to generate streams. As someone ever experienced an entire line of tiles of the same color coming down after a board shake? I mean how are the odds of that happening with a true RNG?
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    Not-so RNG:

If I have no more roster slots, no HP to buy more soon, I'm guaranteed to get one of the few characters that I'm still missing.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've pulled the GR cover from the vault every time he has been the crash. What's more funny is I pulled them all on the day of his crash too.

Its all coincidental of course but even coincidences can look like something more sometimes
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    AlphaNik wrote:
    Quote from the first site I get in google searching "Random number Generator".
    Perhaps you have wondered how predictable machines like computers can generate randomness. In reality, most random numbers used in computer programs are pseudo-random, which means they are generated in a predictable fashion using a mathematical formula. This is fine for many purposes, but it may not be random in the way you expect if you're used to dice rolls and lottery drawings.

It's not a conspiracy theory it's just the way RNG works. To be clear (to my knowledge) when it says predictable fashion it does not mean you can predict the exact results just than in the long run the numbers will get in line with statistics. As far as I know RNGs tend to generate streams. As someone ever experienced an entire line of tiles of the same color coming down after a board shake? I mean how are the odds of that happening with a true RNG?

I think the real issue people have with the word random is they think it's interchangable with "different"

Random simply means Each iteration has an equal chance of appearing on each subsequent attempt. These odds never increase or decrease unless the numbers in the base pool of 'possible outcomes' changes.