Quick provocative question for the developers

tfaludi
tfaludi Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
Hi!
Seeing all the things go wrong with every new release, i have an obvious question:
Do you have any type of testing for this product you are selling for customers, or nothing at all?
I mean, things are not working, which are basic, you play 5 minutes before release, and you see those bugs.

Comments

• acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Darn clickbait title!! I saw "provocative" and was hoping for finally an interesting topic. Just ended up being another run of the mill complaint thread. Everyone knows they don't test so not at all provocative.

How about...
    Which devs wear ladies underwear to work who aren't ladies?
    Which devs snag their coworkers lunch from the fridge when they didn't bring theirs?
    Which devs are playing Madden '17 all day instead of coding MPQ?

Provocative! icon_lol.gif
  • tfaludi
    Well, maybe it is not interesting for you, but I'm interested about it. The clickbait part was for the developers to maybe take a look at it and admit the obvious. I play with the game for almost 3 years now and the quality degraded in the last few months a lot (I'm talking about the bugs). Sorry if i didn't satisfy your curiosity.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    tfaludi wrote:
    Well, maybe it is not interesting for you, but I'm interested about it. The clickbait part was for the developers to maybe take a look at it and admit the obvious. I play with the game for almost 3 years now and the quality degraded in the last few months a lot (I'm talking about the bugs). Sorry if i didn't satisfy your curiosity.

Even if they genuinely believed what you suggested there is no way that they would ever say so. So really at best this is a complaint thread and at worst a whining thread.

There have been bugs cropping up more but that is probably due to the new features being rolled out. Coding is tough, every little thing you add can affect things that you didn't ever consider. I like the additions and am hopeful they iron out some of the more egregious bugs soon (leveling bug would be my top hope). Still glad for the new stuff, even relatively small stuff like the UI addition of being able to finally scroll the leaderboard.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I'm interested in learning about their testing process, too, but random insults aren't productive for anyone. If you don't actually have a suggestion for improving things, then all this thread is doing is letting you lash out. That's not valuable to anyone, least of all you.
  • tfaludi
    Ok, let me say this:
    I'm a software tester. So I know about how to make things better, I'm doing this for a living for more than 10 years.
    I don't think that its normal that old features are just getting destroyed, and we are happy with that.
    Yeah, the game is going in a good direction with new features, but a little bit of quality control for the basic stuff wouldn't hurt a bit.
    What I see is there is no testing at all, because if there would be than the obvious bugs wouldn't go into release. They would wait with it, because it hurts the payerbase, some people can stop playing for example.
    But if all of you are saying that everything is sunshine happy, then whatever.
    This is not whining, this is not complaining, just a question. Is there testing for the game, or not?
    If there is, what type testing?
    No regression testing for sure.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    tfaludi wrote:
    Ok, let me say this:
    I'm a software tester. So I know about how to make things better, I'm doing this for a living for more than 10 years.
    I don't think that its normal that old features are just getting destroyed, and we are happy with that.
    Yeah, the game is going in a good direction with new features, but a little bit of quality control for the basic stuff wouldn't hurt a bit.
    What I see is there is no testing at all, because if there would be than the obvious bugs wouldn't go into release. They would wait with it, because it hurts the payerbase, some people can stop playing for example.
    This is not whining, this is not complaining, just a question. Is there testing for the game, or not?

I'm a software tester, and I think you're being disingenuous. You can't tell me that you've never seen a project or feature get pushed out the door at the end of a sprint, bugs and all, because team KPIs, management expectations, publisher expectations or third-party client demands?

You're probably going to argue "but these are obvious bugs" - yeah, and they were probably obvious to their QA too, but will have been signed off by the project manager as "acceptable" in order to keep to the schedule. Nothing short of a showstopping crash or an Apple certification failure will hold things up, given the choice between business decisions and product quality. I've not yet worked at a company where this didn't happen.

Now, I'm not being an apologist for this kind of behavior. As a tester I must uphold the principles of software quality and good customer experience. I wish that situations like these didn't happen, and I guarantee you that Demiurge's development team does too. But if wishes were horses, beggars would ride. Every dev team in the world wants nothing more than to deliver a polished, awesome product to their customers - but with so many outside influences pulling strings, this can't occur. It sucks, I know.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    That's not valuable to anyone, least of all you.

The releasing of tension, especially in a verbal instead of a physical way, is actually very healthy.

I mean.....that is why people go to counseling, psychiatrists, psychologists, group therapy, AA, etc, is it not?

People baffle me, constantly trying to MODERATE the voice of others. That is freaking crazy. If someone wants to put some text on an OPEN FORUM, that illustrates their displeasure of something, who are any of you to make them stop? lol. Wut?
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    TLCstormz wrote:
    That's not valuable to anyone, least of all you.

The releasing of tension, especially in a verbal instead of a physical way, is actually very healthy.

I mean.....that is why people go to counseling, psychiatrists, psychologists, group therapy, AA, etc, is it not?

People baffle me, constantly trying to MODERATE the voice of others. That is freaking crazy. If someone wants to put some text on an OPEN FORUM, that illustrates their displeasure of something, who are any of you to make them stop? lol. Wut?

There are healthy and unhealthy ways to release tension. Comparing throwing insults at people who's business you have only foggy ideas about to going to counseling is probably not a very effective comparison.

A counselor would suggest trying to dig deeper to find the root problem in yourself, rather than externalizing everything, for example.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    TLCstormz wrote:
    If someone wants to put some text on an OPEN FORUM, that illustrates their displeasure of something, who are any of you to make them stop?
  • tfaludi
    CNash wrote:
    tfaludi wrote:
    Ok, let me say this:

I'm a software tester, and I think you're being disingenuous. You can't tell me that you've never seen a project or feature get pushed out the door at the end of a sprint, bugs and all, because team KPIs, management expectations, publisher expectations or third-party client demands?

You're probably going to argue "but these are obvious bugs" - yeah, and they were probably obvious to their QA too, but will have been signed off by the project manager as "acceptable" in order to keep to the schedule. Nothing short of a showstopping crash or an Apple certification failure will hold things up, given the choice between business decisions and product quality. I've not yet worked at a company where this didn't happen.

Now, I'm not being an apologist for this kind of behavior. As a tester I must uphold the principles of software quality and good customer experience. I wish that situations like these didn't happen, and I guarantee you that Demiurge's development team does too. But if wishes were horses, beggars would ride. Every dev team in the world wants nothing more than to deliver a polished, awesome product to their customers - but with so many outside influences pulling strings, this can't occur. It sucks, I know.
    You are right, I saw all of these before, I still don't like it.
    I wont argue with you, your comment was the first one which made sense.
  • TimGunn
    TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    well, there have been other posts going into the accusations that they don't test at all, but i will say that the game is rarely inaccessible / down or completely unplayable. When I played Marvel Avengers Alliance, it seemed like that happened frequently.

Could always be worse!