When will you make the 5* economy make sense?

DrDoMe
DrDoMe Posts: 97 Match Maker
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
The fact that 5* covers are a 15% chance per LT would lead a naïve person to expect long-time players to all have a roughly equal ratio of 5*s to 4*s. Of course anyone who has actually studied probability knows that's not how it will play out, and anyone who is designing a game like this should have studied enough probability to know this model can't last. I assume the devs have a plan for introducing a more sustainable 5* economy, but speaking as someone who is nowhere near the front of the pack (I'm just beginning the 4* transition) I'm already feeling the frustration. I can only assume those with over a dozen champed 4*s find legendary tokens to be an awful chore, hoping for a 1 in 6 chance at a meaningful reward.

As a point of example, there are four people in my alliance who have all put in similar amounts of time and money. Three of us have roughly the same number of 5* covers (23 to 29). The one lucky guy has 53. Small odds over large sample sizes lead to large deviations. This is not surprising, but actually living with that kind of imbalance is incredibly frustrating. This is not a fluke, and there's no excuse for the developers not seeing this kind of thing coming.

So is there a plan? When might we get to hear about it?

Comments

• Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    edited November 2016
    The plan is to make money. Just this month there's a new mega whale who now has 550's, and apparently he did it without buy clubs.... legitimately. I don't see them easing the vice to help out out once n awhile spenders or f2p'ers.

Edit: Just in case...I think it's great people can spend that much on something they enjoy, so more power to them. I just wish MMR wouldn't make them nearly invisible to me and my lowly champed 5's icon_e_wink.gif
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ludaa wrote:
    Just this month there's a new mega whale who now has 550's, and apparently he did it without buy clubs.... legitimately.

Madness.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    They still haven't fully realized a 4 star.png economy and you're asking about plans for the 5?
    Don't hold your breath
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ludaa wrote:
    The plan is to make money. Just this month there's a new mega whale who now has 550's, and apparently he did it without buy clubs.... legitimately. I don't see them easing the vice to help out out once n awhile spenders or f2p'ers.

Why are buy clubs illegitimate? It seems to me that they are an intended mechanic. Why else include the alliance cp rewards?
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Ludaa wrote:

Why are buy clubs illegitimate? It seems to me that they are an intended mechanic. Why else include the alliance cp rewards?

I think when he says legitimately, he means that he is actually paying money vs the cheaters who are having the phone or steam account
  • HxiiiK
    HxiiiK Posts: 195 Tile Toppler
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Ludaa wrote:

I don't think he meant buy clubs are illegitimate, what he meant was that people usually get their 550s with the assistance of buy clubs (7cp x 20 per stark) as opposed to only 7cp per stark. And this guy actually did it that way (without buy clubs) without cheating
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I'm imagining a 14 year old kid who got hold of his dad's credit card and is going to be super unhappy when his dad finds out he's down $15,000 for a FTP game.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    I work in the ski industry. A family of 4 staying a 4* ritz carlton type hotel at a mammoth lakes/tahoe resort would be expected to spend $25,000 between lodgins, food, lessons, lift tickets, rentals blah blah. A big number to us is pocket change to them. Week long stay. I forgot if it was a 7 day or 5 day stay
  • Phumade wrote:
    I work in the ski industry. A family of 4 staying a 4* ritz carlton type hotel at a mammoth lakes/tahoe resort would be expected to spend $25,000 between lodgins, food, lessons, lift tickets, rentals blah blah. A big number to us is pocket change to them. Week long stay. I forgot if it was a 7 day or 5 day stay
    Wow, I can work a year and still don't make enough money for this icon_lol.gif
  • Phumade
    The industry is dangerously close to pricing out its core clients.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade wrote:
    I thought it had shifted its core clients from being normal people to Russian oligarchs swimming in money about 15 years ago.
  • Phumade
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Phumade wrote:
    I thought it had shifted its core clients from being normal people to Russian oligarchs swimming in money about 15 years ago.

close to pricing out families. A day's kids ski lesson at Mammoth Mountain is close to $200 dollars US and I didn't even look at this years pricing.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Back to get on topic I think the issue is how to get the right player who has a good amount of champed 4* more 5* is the issue. To me I think this should come with CL. My suggestion would be with CL 9/10 should get access to a 5* token. This can be unlocked at CL9 and purchased for 150 CP. Also when you get a 5* that is the 6th cover of a color and you don't have 13 covers already CS can give a 5* token to replace it.

These 5* tokens can even go into special vaults that you can use HP to win so lower CL players can herb he tokens on occasion as well. What this 5* token can also do is replace 5* in LT. In LT you get a 15% chance at a 5* token instead of classic an latest tokens you can just have 1 for 20CP.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime wrote:
    Back to get on topic I think the issue is how to get the right player who has a good amount of champed 4* more 5* is the issue. To me I think this should come with CL. My suggestion would be with CL 9/10 should get access to a 5* token. This can be unlocked at CL9 and purchased for 150 CP. Also when you get a 5* that is the 6th cover of a color and you don't have 13 covers already CS can give a 5* token to replace it.

These 5* tokens can even go into special vaults that you can use HP to win so lower CL players can herb he tokens on occasion as well. What this 5* token can also do is replace 5* in LT. In LT you get a 15% chance at a 5* token instead of classic an latest tokens you can just have 1 for 20CP.

Not a bad idea, in fact I like it, and the price for the 5LT also looks right.

This would also fix the problem of people needing to open 20 tokens to get one 5 and other pulling 3 in 8 pulls.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Even without any 5* token, there should be a miss counter on normal LTs so you get a guaranteed 5* after 10 draws at worst.
  • Chipster22
    Chipster22 Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
    Crowl wrote:
    Even without any 5* token, there should be a miss counter on normal LTs so you get a guaranteed 5* after 10 draws at worst.

This.

I know it is probably just RNG being RNG, but long dry spells with no 5*'s really take the wind out of your sails.
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    Crowl wrote:

Say they upped the draw rate to 20% for an example.

Would you

a) Draw 10 individual Latest Leg's where you odds are 20% per pull but at the whim of RNG

b) By a ten pack sat right next to it that guarantees an exact 20% draw rate - 2 5*s and 8 4*s per 10 pack.

Price of ten pack is exactly the same as 10 individual pulls
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ten pack, especially since, for me personally, I have enough 10-12 cover four stars (around 15 I believe) that a single pull is already a huge gamble on drawing a 6th cover for any given 5 covered power and my personal belief that LTs heavily favor older 4 stars over newer ones.

Then with a 10 pack, I could save up iso so that if I do pull a 6th I might have that 4 star maxed covered either through event progression or 3 champ covers.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade wrote:

I think this game has been priced out of the ordinary person from day 1.
  • Tilesmasher
    Tilesmasher Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    You dont understand the psychology of mobile games.

They WANT you to he frustrated, then once you're frustrated they provide a way out of that uncomfortable emotion, buying cp via hp for more chances at 5s.

This is how they make money. Its not a company that makes match 3 games, its a company that designs frustration.