Matchmaking. Again.

Options
buscemi
buscemi Posts: 673 Critical Contributor
edited November 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Come on now! This is actually unfair on a serious level now.

Everyone plays Ultradaved a hugely inflated number of times. I'll wager that Ultradaved's team members play Ultradaved an inflated number of times. They are able to give him feedback on making his decks really hard to beat when played by the Ai. No-one plays me! I don't get that opportunity!

I'm sure they yh1j would never use any kind of exploit of any kind ever, but we in the top 10 all know there ARE exploits out there than can be used, and playing a lot against one of your own team members is a decent pathway to at least some of them.

Isn't it time to at least comment on what the hell is going on here besides just 'Ooh, we tried to make it random, we really don't know why it isn't', D3? No-one believes that line. It was never credible.

Comments

• Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    An exploit? You mean like a coalition member letting another coalition member when they're going up against their decks so they can back out, nerf the deck, and let their coalitionmate get an easy win? That doesn't happen. Not ever.
  • Abenjes
    Abenjes Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Hmmm ,
    now how about that???

"FIDDLER!!!"(shouts through slack) "Change you Kiora"
  • buscemi
    Options
    I had a thought last night about matchmaking, and how it all might be to do with Greg. Greg is what we tend to call the AI, partly because it gives him some character, but mostly because the term 'artificial intelligence' seems a little undescriptive of how he actually plays.

Bken mentioned to me that gunbunny just has a natural talent for making decks that Greg can play, and as we all know, everyone in gold seems to play gunbunny a LOT. It's occured to me as well that Ultradaved's decks seem very optimised for Greg to play right now.

What if the matchmaking is based to some extent upon which decks, or player's decks, have a higher win % when played by Greg? In a vacuum, it seems like it might be a good idea for a couple of reasons... perhaps it'd raise the quality of games that people play, as it would weed out those decks that Greg is just incapable of plioting? And also, it would naturally stop the problem of people nerfing decks for their team-mates, since that deck would then lose and be less likely to get picked. On top of that, it might explain why we've had such continued deafening silence from the dev team regarding matchmaking (I believe they said 'we'll look into it' one time)... perhaps they are trying to implement a system of matchmaking with specific goals, but they don't want to tell us what it is in while it's still a work in progress in case we try to exploit it in some way.

It's a thought. It clearly doesn't explain the whole of the matchmaking system... why I once played an entire event against nobody but Quebecers, for example, or why Murtagon once played an event where the game completely failed to find him an opponent (they gave him compensation in the end, so they're aware of the problem).

Surely it's time for the dev team to break silence on this one?
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,230 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would love more transparency on this issue.
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Posting my matchmaking results from the last **** event in the most recent relevant matchmaking thread:
    123123 1
    Agramonte 1
    Andrew 2
    Aquilen 2
    BaDJer 1
    Coagula 1
    COLNSTORM 1
    Crossfire 1
    evolvedgil 1
    FeralSkald 1
    Gakera 3
    goralondos 2
    Guzrud 1
    Heather 2
    Ilupetto 1
    Killwind 1
    Kilpher 5
    MarsDeon 1
    Mersicide 1
    MrKnifeGuy 1
    Msaytar 5
    Polooc 1
    Schizoid03 3
    SenatorMongo 1
    Shogun 1
    Sormac 3
    Ultradaved 1
    Wizard 1
    Yawgmoth 2
    I got Kilpher 5 times and Msaytar 5 times (two perennial opponents of mine) but less frequently than in the past (vs 9 or more times). I only faced Ultradaved once, and Heather made a reappearance in my list but only at 2 games.

As far as opposing PW, I faced Kiora 10 times and Sorin 7. With other PW sprinkled in except for Garruk, Jace 1, Jace 2, Saheeli, or Tezzeret.
  • rob443
    rob443 Posts: 97
    Options
    madwren wrote:
    I would love more transparency on this issue.

I would love more transparency on a lot of issues.
  • buscemi
    Options
    I see Ultradaved has started exploiting bugs in the game now by running Undergrowth Champion in hes deck because he knows that certain key Tier 1 removal spells don't work on it... like Imprisoned in the Moon, or Ob Nixilis' second ability.

I'd have done it too. We'll adjust. Ultradaved pretty much *is* the Platinum Tier metagame now.