2»

Comments

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mrhibachi wrote:
    wereotter wrote:
    "Blue is doing blue things and made it so I didn't win!!"

Yeah. Getting your stuff stolen is annoying, and it's a powerful card, but blue has been able to steal your creatures since Alpha. Exert Influence is powerful, yes, but mythic rare cards are supposed to be.

There are plenty of equally obnoxious mythics to contend with, but basically put, if you don't want your stuff stolen, there's lots of good hexproof creatures you can run.

It's not like paper magic where a stolen creature:
    a) Doesn't change owner permanently
    b) Isn't doing free damage every turn so long as you have creatures that can block it

As great as hexproof is, most of those creatures tend to cost high amounts of mana and the majority of them are green. Even with hexproof, blue decks that own exert... most likely own some form of aoe bounce to ignore hexproof --> Crush of Tentacles being the biggest offender.

Except when it does.... Exert Influence in paper magic is a sorcery that permanently takes a creature, Welcome to the Fold takes the creature permanently, Domineering Will takes three permanently, and none of these enchant the creature. As far as the free damage, yes, that's a valid complaint, however, that's a complaint about the way Puzzle Quest works in general beyond just as a result of Exert Influence. Why, in paper magic, would I not block a War Oracle to keep it form getting renowned if I can help it? Except in this game it doesn't ever defend unless you have creatures with reach or defender, and complaining about this one card won't change that mechanic of how this game works.

With how many decks are running Lashweed Lurker and Inner Struggle, you learn to adjust your decks accordingly. You run hexproof, and you run creatures with higher toughness than power where you can, or you choose not to and either hope the opposing deck doesn't run these cards, or you roll with it if they do, because at this point, we all know these cards exist and are played.