Forum thread

aesthetocyst
aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
Forum thread
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    For PVE it is a no-brainer to join SCL8 if you are in a T100 PVE Alliance. The extra Event tokens each sub is awesome plus the extra two Heroics after the event. Plus I don't have to crazy grind just to earn T50, I can relax and sit at T200 for the same reward as SCL7 (as I am currently doing for Simulator).

For PVP, I would likely use your strategy of joining SCL6, maybe 7 but definitely not 8. SCL8 did not extend the 3* cover placement rewards or add extra alliance rewards.. I don't know what SCL8 actually changed besides some additional Iso.
  • Natsufan01
    Natsufan01 Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    I can't say if it was removing cupcakes or scl8, but I always go slice 4, scl8. Before I could hit max progression, and sometimes miss top 100. Now, I barely crack 900 and am finishing top 25. As long as that stays, it's always going to be the highest possible for me.

For all 3, progression rewards were always what I set my sights on, so I go the highest possible for the best progression rewards. As long as my placement isn't drastically dropped I'm fine, even if a lower scl could get me better placement. So for me at rank 70, I think I'm right where I should be.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Before SCL8 was introduced, I always went for 7 as the highest available. Now that 8 is in play I drop down to 7 in PvP, and play 8 in PvE except new character releases, where top 100 is all that matters in any clearance level and 7 is much slower.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just join scl 8 for everything. Progression outweighs placement for me. So a worse scl just means worse scl progression rewards. I can no longer hit 1200 in pvp unless I really try hard, and I generally just don't have the time, so it doesn't matter none.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    I played 8 for the Punisher pvp, got about the same score as most events last season (900ish) and ended top 100 iirc, whereas last season in 7 that would've got me 25. Dropped to 7 for Mystique, currently sitting in 4th with 1002 and 3 hours to go. I'll most likely stay in 7 for a while longer.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have been looking to see who is winning in 5 and 6 in pvp and the top 5 have been getting locked out by 5 star players and very strong 4 star rosters. I guess it only takes a small percentage but if they are mopping up rewards for the CL intended then it's an issue.

There are a few problems, lack of banding. Banding for the required shield level and rewards could sort it. Higher levels require more ISO for their roster, put quite a bit more ISO into 8 and above and they won't drop down. Also if you select CL5 for the season then that should be the only CL you can select for pvp.

What's happening now in my opinion is an exploit of the system. It's easily fixed. Band the CL to shield ranking and job done. Just looked my leader in CL6 has 2 covered 5* and over 30 champed 4s. It's up to the devs if that's what they intended I suppose.
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    I'm Rank 43, so right in the middle of SCL7, and it's the perfect place for me. The rewards suit what I need to keep developing my roster. I think the problem is that SCL8 isn't the perfect place for most of the people in it, so the rewards don't suit their roster development. I hope that once the rest of the SCLs are rolled out there'll be some incentive to enter the highest possible.

And not just because I like my easy(ish) T50 rather than the slog that was getting T100 when all the 8s dropped down to get Agent Venom.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    I definitely play SCL7 more than 8. That way, I either get similar placement with less effort or better placement with similar effort. Stoch is right, the rewards are really not proper incentive. SCL7 is open from Rank 32. That means 3* (and transitioning) players. SCL7 rewards are appropriate for that level. But SCL8 is only open a whopping 20 rights after. This, compounded by the fact that players that theoretically would be SCL9 and 10 are still lumped with us, means that we should have rewards appropriate for a 4* player (and transitioning). But we get only a tiny increase over the SCL7 rewards, i.e. still 3*-player appropriate.

I like the fact that you can choose SCLs. Having the chance to take it "easy" for an event here and there and still get nice rewards is awesome. But I wish the alternative to that option would be to play hard for great, relevant rewards.
  • Tromb2ch2
    Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    In pve if the t10 is a character I need I'll drop down, if not I'll go to 8.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    I don't think that some people playing "below their weight class" is a big problem. The lower SCLs (5 and 6) are not very competitive. There's plenty of room in the Top 100 for players that want it. That doesn't seem to be the case for SCL8, which has lots of competition in the Top 100.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    SCL8 in PVE when I don't care about placement, SCL7 when I do (which is rarely)
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    I always join the highest available (scl8). Because I need the competition to care enough to go hard.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    I always join the highest available (scl8). Because I need the competition to care enough to go hard.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    I went scl6 for both new release pve events. Total blood bath, elite level monster mercs battling it out for T5. Would have hated to have to fight it out in SCL8 and to be honest, would have paid good money to figure out who was in which bracket clearance level. In one pve event, there were 4 WeAreGroot and 1 Axe reaver in the top 5. That was a pretty competitive bracket.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    For PVP I always choose the highest possible SCL but PVE depends entirely on what 4* is the top reward. If I really want the 4* I am always choosing to wait for a flip or two and joining SCL 7 because the level of competition is vastly less aggressive than in 8. With the same amount of effort I can hit top 5 in SCL 7 where I would end up 25-30 in SCL 8. Which means instead of getting two 4* covers I get exactly 0.

If I don't care about the 4* or it is a new release I go SCL 8 for the extra event tokens.
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    I always select the highest available SCL...

... mostly because I'm not fond of micromanagement and I don't really take the time to compare placement and progression rewards between SCLs. I just pick SCL8.

Since I play SCL8 I didn't note a significant change in my placement, usually t25 (sometimes t10) in pvp and usually t50 pve (highly dependent on my willingness to play given pve). Therefore I'm happy to go SCL8 for better progression rewards...

...even if I'm a bit worried to read that players that did actually compare progression rewards between CSL 7 and 8 report that improvements of rewards aren't outstanding from 7 to 8...

but oh well... micromanagement you know... icon_e_confused.gificon_e_confused.gif
  • Addix
    Addix Posts: 35
    PVE: TBH I tried dropping a level or 2 when scls were first introduced. Then saw the progression in scl 7 and thought I'd try that once. (Not a single champ 3* yet, could probably champ one but that's it). I can usually make the first 3* cover on progression, often the second and the 4* if I have the characters. Wouldn't (probably) go back down again at least until I have a few 3*s champed icon_e_biggrin.gif . Though that's looking like a looooooooooong time away icon_e_biggrin.gif . Tacos give me 2* or 500 iso or 1 health pack hahaha.

PVP: This is me laughing manically (maniacally? ) hahahahahaaaahahaha. At some point I made a huge mistake and recruited black bolt when I had no champ at all including 2*. And my few 3*s had a cover or so each. So I now look at pvp sadly, hit a few seed teams if I'm lucky, get some standard tokens from LRs to sell for iso. Cos those only give me 1*s. BTW only 2* from elite. And heroic. Me laughing manically or maybe hysterically again......But decided to stay in the top scl available because I'm facing OML/Phoenix or both or some other 5* anyway whichever level I choose (went down to 4 twice to see if there was a chance I was seeing 2 & 3 stars. Nope. Didn't happen).

Oh just realised. This is what it looks like from the other side. Come to think of it, I think many of these teams think I'm a seed team too cos they all hit me and take away my few points.....remind me why I play this game again?

Oh the top scl available to me is 7.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    SCLs right now are clearly broken. I think Devs created too many and now they are paying for this (rewards are too similar between 'adjacent' SCL levels).

In any given system THERE SHOULD NEVER BE ANY REASON TO CHOSE A LOWER SCL THAN THE MAX AVAILABLE.

I chose SCL7 in Venom's PvP to see if it was easier to be top100, and when it finished almost all people in the top10 where clearly SCL8 players. But I guess they decided to play SCL7 because they thought it would be easier to place top10 in SCL7. These people (me included) were basically blocking the best rewards for players that can only play in SCL7.

The problem is of course that there is almost no difference between SCL7-8 rewards. If SCL8 rewards were clearly better, no one would chose SCL7 if they could play in SCL8.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I selected sometimes drop down 1 for PvP because I plan to try that on future character releases since I've missed every one since SCL came to new character releases.

In PvP dropping down doesn't make sense unless it affects MMR IMO.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    I made 4th in Identity Theft in SCL 7. First time I've been there I think. With 14 champed 4*s I had the lowest number of them in the top 5.