NRSCL8S5 wasn't so bad!

mpqr7
mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
That's my new license plate: NRSCL8S5 icon_cool.gif

Seriously though, a lot of people were worried about how New Releases would be in SCL. I'm here to say that it really wasn't too bad. I unfortunately didn't make top 100. I made 104, off by around 600 points. Ouch!

But the good news is that I didn't do much more than 4 clears per sub, because I chose to spend some time with family. So that means that any new release where I do 5 clears or particularly when I green-check all nodes, I should be able to break top 100 without too much work. So on a weekday-only new release, basically.

Anyway hopefully this is comforting to anyone who wants to put in the work to win a new release in SCL 8, at least for Shard 5! You may not win #1, but you should be able to make top 100 without going crazy.

Comments

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    That's unlucky, I was SCL8 and did 4 clears and little bit on day 2 the easy goon nodes I did for 6 with winfinite as they take 3 seconds. So I got 65ish I think and was 51st. A lot of people seemed to give up on day 2. Since the new format pve came in I have always got inside T100 with 4 clears, regardless of CL.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    So you missed T100, and that's a cause for celebration?

Mkay.
  • metallion
    metallion Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Oh yeah? I went full grinding on the first 3 subs, and 4 clears on the last (with a bit of grinding on the goon nodes), and got 80th. I started my grind on my first sub at about 140th. Who knows what I will get if I went 4 clears per sub. I'm already pretty tempted to go for CL7 the next release to see how I will do.

Either I'm unlucky AF, or you just had a good bracket
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I do believe it is all bracket related. I ground down as much as I could, getting about 85% of nodes down to 1 point and getting green check marks on all but 4-5 nodes for the entire event. That was the hardest I ever hit a PVE event. I got #20, which is a nice thing, not bragging and not complaining. But If I finished with around 88k and got #20... that doesn't necessarily bode well for all future releases, just the hand I drew.

I would love more new releases to take place during the week, I have more time to play (before work, lunch, a little at night) during the week than I do on weekends, where my real life takes precedence. It's always nice to sit on the couch and relax, but I don't like to make a habit of being there for hours upon hours playing an app game...
  • mpqr7
    Oh! And for reference, my final score was 74066. I'm not exactly cheerful that I missed top 100, but I'm happy to see that it's not completely impossible to reach 100. I remember previous times, I would do 7 clears and somehow still not hit top 100, so to know that you should be able to do it in "just" 5-6 clears now, I'm happy about that. To know that it would have been in reach if it had occurred during a time when I was more available to play the game.
  • JFisch
    JFisch Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    And then there was my scenario. I opted to play in SCL7 instead of SCL8 and cruised to a fairly easy 9th place finish. I was never not inside the top 20...

Just saying, your 104 would have probably been a top 50 in SCL7.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've got top 15 in SL8. And I will not repeat it in the near future (not sure why I did it...). I was in the hunt for top 2 after 2 days playing optimally in the fresh bracket (i have joined as a player number 12 I think). Life caught up to me at the end of the third day - I could not start the new "day" on time (my switch is 11pm aka 23.00) and my effort of the earlier days granted me 2 covers (with all nodes down to 1 on the last day, just not for max potential points).

Why I will not do it again - it took me 2 hours of continues play in the evening (to finish one and open the other day). Killing sleep or any other activity I could be participating in. But gladly it happened and I can tone back to max progression in PvE at the time I find good. No more playing on the clock (again!).
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    This thread needs to be re-titled.

Anyway, in my "worst of the day" yesterday:
    I've been running PVE up to progression, 4x everything takes a fair bit of time, but I guess CP is the only way I'll ever progress since the SCL increases seem to be a pittance at best....

So I figure this time: why not 4x everything at the top, and then 2x everything about 12 hours later?

I -barely- top 100'd that way, and it took -way- more time each day than a match three game should require.

I think I went up to ~85 (87?)K. I read tons that hit just below that number and fully expected T100 and just missed it.

Which indicates that scl is hurting people, and the rewards in it are STILL way to stingy. I mean...really....many of the long-time vets that are running the highest SCL barely care about new 4*'s at this point, and they have to spend that much time to get ONE of them?!?
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I disagree with the OP strongly. We've had 2 new releases since new releases were in SCL and in both of them the grind was too much for me to get the characters where I always got it easily before SCL. At this point I'm not even going to try to get the new characters first event, it's not worth the extra effort they've inserted.
  • mpqr7
    Maybe for higher SCLs, they should make new release top 150, 200 or even top 250 or 300.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Still too much of a grind and time managemented. I seven cleared most nodes in all the subs and still ended up 165 in scl8.

Sorry I don't have 5 hours to grind the very end of the sub and begging of the next to place better. Nice that I can play for progression at my own pace, I guess.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Chronicler wrote:
    And then there was my scenario. I opted to play in SCL7 instead of SCL8 and cruised to a fairly easy 9th place finish. I was never not inside the top 20...

Just saying, your 104 would have probably been a top 50 in SCL7.

Maybe not, I went SCL7 and with 80k ended just 47. So once more, it depends A LOT in what bracket you end up. I was in shard3 though, which I think is the worst one.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Not sure how different shards work. I always choose the same one. I had to do 6 clears on all nodes and ended up around 70. It pretty much went the way it went before Clearance levels. Definitely a big grind, even with all the goon nodes. Might try CL7 for the next new release. Or might not try to place top 100 since they are available as a progression reward in the next event. Which is something I am thankful for
  • Final score was 77,897

Finished 125th

The grind was real and not fun. Don't agree with your assessment.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    completely agree. the additional stuff in cl8 is awesome, regardless of finish. now that its open in both pvp and pve, anyone not going cl8 who can is a chump.
  • mpqr7
    Btw if people don't mind, can you edit your current posts to include both your SCL and your Shard? Then we can get a better comparison.
  • nyck1118
    nyck1118 Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    wow that title...good lord, stay up all night for that one.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Got #102 with 79039 total points (missed T100 by ~250 points...)
    10pm CT shard (4th right?).
    Played 5-6 clears on each node, so I missed some optimal play, but this seemed to usually get close to T50 in CL7.
    Chose CL8 again for Simulator but now that I didn't get Agent Venom by 2 dang ranks spots, ugh.
  • Rick OShay wrote:
    Got #102 with 79039 total points (missed T100 by ~250 points...)
    10pm CT shard (4th right?).
    Played 5-6 clears on each node, so I missed some optimal play, but this seemed to usually get close to T50 in CL7.
    Chose CL8 again for Simulator but now that I didn't get Agent Venom by 2 dang ranks spots, ugh.

This game has an amazing way of punishing you for playing it.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    S4 CL8
    I finished 4th with 95018.
    There was a 619 point gap between 1st place and 10th place.
    Seems like business as usual for me.