Which would you rather fight?

IamTheDanger
IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
In a recent podcast, the Demi devs said that they didn't want to make a Super Wave with every character in the game with a 5* cover reward because it was to much work to do all at once.

But what I'm wondering is this; How is it any different from what we already do in PvE? Everyday?

Let's crunch some numbers here.....
One sub has 3 easy nodes, 3 hard nodes, 3 essential nodes. (They also have one main node, and occasionally a couple "one and done" one time nodes, but I'm not counting those).

So, with each node having 3 enemies, that is a minimum of 27 enemies for one clear. (Usually the same bad guys over and over. ie. Venom, Moonstone, Daken, Bullseye, Ares and Rags).To start the timer, you need to do 4 clears. Which means we are fighting the same ten Dark Avengers over and over for a total of 108 enemies.

If it's at the end of a sub, that's 3 clears to grind each node down to 1 point and then the 4 clears for the new sub. And that gives us 189 enemies to beat. All together in the space of a couple hours.

So. My question to all you fine fellow forumites. Would you rather fight the same ten DA enemies ten times over? Or would you rather a Super Wave where you battle each MPQ character once? It doesn't even need to be a 5* cover reward. Just something really good. I mean, come on, I just took out every character in the game. I think I deserve something awesome for my time and effort. Right?

***yes, I am aware that doing that many clears at once is not required unless you are going for top placement***
**also, there isn't really a point to this post. I'm just bored. icon_lol.gif **
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    The fact that we fight the same 10 enemies all the time is my biggest complaint left. They've made so many great strides and yet with all the changes - we still only get to fight Dark Avengers and goons for the most part. It's a real drag. I have not even been able to force myself to get full progression in the last several PvEs.
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    snlf25 wrote:
    The fact that we fight the same 10 enemies all the time is my biggest complaint left. They've made so many great strides and yet with all the changes - we still only get to fight Dark Avengers and goons for the most part. It's a real drag. I have not even been able to force myself to get full progression in the last several PvEs.

You are fast approaching or have already entered a period called burn-out.
    Time to put the game down and have a break.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Duck-sized horses
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    100 different enemies in waves? That would be EPIC!

Though they'd have do something to break up all the Winfinite combos. "Prof X has been shot and is down injured! Mohawk Storm is hunting down the shooter Mystique. Fight your way through the interest Mpq universe to catch up to them. Your team must include a Deadpool variant."
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    Someone else suggested this before and that is the idea of an endless survival wave mode. Basically, have the opponent be random on each wave with increasing difficulty. Eg, wave 1 - all level x, wave 2 - level x + y and so on. Then simply reward based on the number of waves completed. It could simply be 10 ISO per wave. If that is too much ISO then lock the node down so it is only playable once a day
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    How about a five wave fight:

Wave 1 - Most popular one stars (Juggy and two other guys)
    Wave 2 - Most popular team made up of 2 and 1 stars.
    Wave 3 - Most popular team made of of 2-3 stars.
    Wave 4 - Most popular team made of 3-4 stars.
    Wave 5 - Most popular team of 4-5 stars (OML, Phoenix and generic character here)

I'm sure the data exists to figure out what the teams are. You know the teams will work well, since most players use them.

And it definitely beats fighting generic goons and Dark Avengers for the gazillionth time.
  • fnedude
    fnedude Posts: 383 Mover and Shaker
    How about getting through group #50-52, and then your phone/PC/network connection crashes and the server connection times out?

Uggg.

Lets say no.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    not answering the poll
    but the best thing about simulator, deadpool vs mpq and the gauntlet is the lack of repeat enemies
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd love something different to do, so whatever you suggest, yes.

Since we're just spitballing here, no reason to say you couldn't do it in chunks. Clear ten enemies/waves, get a checkpoint. I suppose there would have to be something preventing you from healing your guys or swapping out, but whatever. Or hell, just make it a 100-character grind! Only the hardcore need apply! Why not?!
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I would not do either. I don't play to progression now, and I certainly wouldn't do some crazy 100-enemy wave node. This is one of those echo-chamber questions where the most invested players in the game treat playing to progression like it's a thing everyone does, instead of a thing maybe 10% of the game's players do, because they aren't exposed to the rest of the playerbase.

It might sound epic, but it would actually be much more boring than even regular node grinding, and way more frustrating when the inevitable super-cascade comes along and ruins your run. It might be fun once to see how insane Bullseye would get, but as a regular feature, ew.

Maybe they could do something where you start with a team composed of random characters from your roster, and randomly sub in other characters as they die until your whole roster is dead? That would avoid comboing your way through the whole thing, and would make it feel more like the Brawl it's intended to be, but even then it would just be waaay too long.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    One thing that would have to be addressed is how the AI gets its AP. As Boss Rush showed, a couple bad waves would make it a short run if a new wave got to have a fully loaded AP set.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pongie wrote:
    Someone else suggested this before and that is the idea of an endless survival wave mode. Basically, have the opponent be random on each wave with increasing difficulty. Eg, wave 1 - all level x, wave 2 - level x + y and so on. Then simply reward based on the number of waves completed. It could simply be 10 ISO per wave. If that is too much ISO then lock the node down so it is only playable once a day

Might have been me. Here is what I suggested the other day....

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=55160#p602074

It's like something I suggested a few months ago. You start at node one. It contains every 1* character in the game and you can only use 1* and 2* characters to beat it. The enemies start at low level, but as you progress through the wave, they get higher in level. Then, it unlocks node #2 which is every 2* character in the game and you can only use 1, 2 and 3* characters to complete it. Then it unlocked node #3 which is every 3* character, (or maybe 25 random 3*s instead of all of them). And only 5*s are locked out. Then you unlock the 4* node and can use any characters you have in your roster. After that, you unlock the 5th and final wave node which is made of all 5*s or just three 5* characters that are max 5* champions.

It was months ago when I made this suggestion, so I don't remember what I suggested for rewards, but I do know that completing all 5 wave nodes should give a 5* cover. Also, breaking it up into different nodes and locking out certain tiers is a way to prevent burnout or phone crashes or everyone using winfinite for everything. Anyway, just an idea I had.